moderated Bug & feature requests #NewUser #mainscreen

wsjtx@...

Sorry if this should be somewhere else, brand new here.

Thanks to the creators of WSJT-X; I've had GREAT fun with it in the couple of months since I discovered it.  I hope the following is helpful.  Comments are related to use in FT8 and FT4 modes, using V2.2.2 on always-updated Windows 10.

BUG:

I searched and saw lots of other reports of the Band Activity window going blank after extended use, but the latest WSJT-X version I saw mentioned in the reports was V2.1.1.  I'm running V2.2.2 and have the problem.

The band activity does continue to decode (if I scroll up I can see it) but it doesn't display in the Band Activity window after it is first decoded. I've seen the problem about fifteen times in a couple of months.

REQUESTS:

1. First and foremost, could developers please configure things so that double-clicking on an incoming communication ADDRESSED TO ME sets the transmit and receive frequencies to the incoming communication's frequency?  It's my number one frustration with the program that when I've responded 2-3 times to someone's CQ and didn't get a response back, I've moved to another frequency responding to someone else's CQ, and then the first person responds to me, in order to return to the first person's frequency it seems that I have to manually edit the frequency. (I don't want to respond to the first person on the second person's CQ frequency.)

It would be great if double-clicking on an incoming communication intended for me would set both transmit and receive frequencies to that incoming communication's frequency.

2. As a result of the above issue I have a LOT of experience editing the Tx frequency.  It's often frustrating getting just the right characters highlighted or deleted in the text box and then trying to replace them accurately while racing the clock for the next cycle.  Wouldn't it be easier for both programmers and users if there was nothing BUT frequency numbers in those text boxes, if the labels "Tx" and "Hz" (and "Rx" and "Hz") were displayed OUTSIDE the text boxes where they and protection of them doesn't complicate editing?

3.  In only a couple of months I've made hundreds of contacts such that often now a majority of incoming CQ signals are from stations I have already contacted.  The signals are not color-highlighted in any way; that's great. It would be even better if you added an OPTION for a Windows sound alert to be triggered when a decode cycle produces any communication that IS color-highlighted?  That would alert the operator when a signal that he/she might want to act upon arrives.

Thanks for considering these.

Mark
VE3CT

Bill Somerville

On 10/03/2021 17:49, wsjtx@dracoassociates.com wrote:
[...]

Hi Mark,

glad you are enjoying digi-mode communications with WSJT-X.

The issue with decodes not scrolling into the Band Activity window is a long standing one which we don't have a fix for yet. You can avoid the issue completely by unchecking the "Settings->General->Start new period decodes at top" option. If you prefer that behaviour you can avoid the issue by periodically erasing the Band Activity window (righ-click it and select "Erase"), perhaps when changing bands or when taking breaks between periods of operation.

With the multi-signal decoding capability for modes like FT8 there is no need for you to move your Tx audio offset to that of your QSO partner, in fact doing so can be counter-productive because you can end up competing with other callers. It is common at first to conclude that using a separate Tx offset from your QSO partners is somehow wasting bandwidth, that is an incorrect assumption since your are always separated from them in time being on the opposite period. It is more valuable to have a clear ferquency to transmit on in you own period than to move around the sub-band as you make QSOs. Despite this, the feature you are asking for is already available; holding down the Ctrl key while double-clicking a decoded message, or single-clicking on the waterfall will move both Tx and Rx offsets. Holding down the Shift key moves just the Tx offset. See the Keyboard Shortcuts and Special Mouse Commands help window for details and more:

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.3.0.html#MENUS

The GUI Framework we use handles spin box controls with prefix and suffix text seamlessly, if you want to manually edit them simply double click to select the old value and type in the new value, it doesn't make any difference if the prefix of suffix get selected or not, the behaviour is the same either way.

We are reluctant to generate any audio signals for the user's benefit as many users only have a single sound card which is connected to their rig, often with VOX enabled. If you are using MS Windows you might investigate the companion application JTAlert, which is able to generate audible alerts and much more.

Tom Melvin

Mark

Couple of comments - glad you are getting on with wsjt-x it does have some cool modes.

The latest version is 2.3 suggest you upgrade to that to see if that fixes your band activity issue.

I have NEVER manually edited the TX freq - they best way is find a quiet spot - part your TX there and make sure 'Hold TX freq' is ticked. There is no need to alter it - wsjt will decode the whole 2.5k (or thereabouts).

Sound / Colour on new stations - there are 3rd party tools - JTAlert is IMO top that offer that option and a LOT more to allow you to narrow down what stations you are looking for.

On 10 Mar 2021, at 17:49, wsjtx@dracoassociates.com wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bill (and Tom) for the fast advice.

Per Tom's advice I installed V2.3 and it has led to another issue or question.

V2.2.2 was good about DISabling transmission of a response readied for the next Tx cycle if the CQ-ing station had already engaged with another station.

V2.3 isn't doing that.  Unless I'm poised over the Halt Transmission button on every cycle response readied for Tx to the CQ station ends up going out.  It interferes with the CQing station's in-process exchange, right?

Has this functionality changed in 2.3, or is this lost function a result of my following Bill's advice to peg myself onto a single frequency for all transmissions rather than matching my Tx frequency to that of the CQing station?

Thanks again.

Reino Talarmo

No change. It works only, when your TX frequency is on or close to the RX frequency. On your “own” frequency program gives you  option to continue calling that station or stop or call CQ or call some other station!

73, Reino OH3mA

Thanks Bill (and Tom) for the fast advice.

Per Tom's advice I installed V2.3 and it has led to another issue or question.

V2.2.2 was good about DISabling transmission of a response readied for the next Tx cycle if the CQ-ing station had already engaged with another station.

V2.3 isn't doing that.  Unless I'm poised over the Halt Transmission button on every cycle response readied for Tx to the CQ station ends up going out.  It interferes with the CQing station's in-process exchange, right?

Has this functionality changed in 2.3, or is this lost function a result of my following Bill's advice to peg myself onto a single frequency for all transmissions rather than matching my Tx frequency to that of the CQing station?

Thanks again.

Tom Melvin

Mark

I think you will find both versions work the same. The disabling of the TX cycle if the station you are about to call will only happen if you are +-xx hz from his signal (exact amount is in manual) You are (correctly) locked your TX on a quiet spot - calling the other station will not affect him/her other than pop a note on his screen. The blocking of TX will be automatic ONLY if you are sitting on top of him.

Tom
GM8MJV