"Error in Sound Input" w/ WIN 10 #AudioIssues #NewUser #txaudio

Lyle Wallis

Hi Folks,
I'm a new user of WSJT-X trying to get up and running with my new IC-705 with a MS Surface running Win 10.  While all of the setup has gone smoothly and I'm able to receive and decode signals as expected I cannot send. When I use the "tune" I'll hear a system sound through the default speakers followed shortly by this "Error in Sound Input".  The rig goes into transmit mode but no signal is sent.  I'm at wit's end on this and I appreciate any ideas on what to be looking for.  Here are set of screen shots that should be helpful in sorting through this.
Thank You!
Lyle

Here is the radio setup page.  As you can see the test functions work as expected:

Here is the audio setup page.  Using the USB Audio Codecs;
:

Here is the Windows audio setup page showing WSJT-X configured for the USB Codecs

ve4cy

Might be a privacy setting.......    Check your Privacy settings and make sure that WSJT-X has access to the microphone.

Open 'Settings' -> Choose 'Privacy'.    On the left hand side of the Privacy window, choose 'Microphone'.   Make sure that the feature "Allow apps to access your microphone" is set to ON.

If that's not it, hopefully someone else can help.

73 de Jim VE4CY

[...]

Thanks Jim.

Yes, it's all set up the way you describe.  And it lists WSJT-X as one of the allowed applications.  So, I think it must be something else.  But I'm flummoxed!

Lyle
KD0GHN

Lon Powell

You might try setting the baud rate to 19,200 on HRD connect tab and on Radio tab in WSJT-X, set it to Fake It. See if that helps.

On Feb 27, 2021, at 1:06 PM, ve4cy <jwt@...> wrote:

[...]

<dummyfile.0.part>

Here is the radio setup page.  As you can see the test functions work as expected:
<dummyfile.1.part>

Here is the audio setup page.  Using the USB Audio Codecs;
<dummyfile.2.part>
:

Here is the Windows audio setup page showing WSJT-X configured for the USB Codecs
<dummyfile.3.part>

Bill Somerville

On 27/02/2021 16:20, lyle.wallis@decisio.com wrote:
Hi Folks,
I'm a new user of WSJT-X trying to get up and running with my new IC-705 with a MS Surface running Win 10.  While all of the setup has gone smoothly and I'm able to receive and decode signals as expected I cannot send. When I use the "tune" I'll hear a system sound through the default speakers followed shortly by this "Error in Sound Input".  The rig goes into transmit mode but no signal is sent.  I'm at wit's end on this and I appreciate any ideas on what to be looking for.  Here are set of screen shots that should be helpful in sorting through this.
Thank You!
Lyle
Hi Lyle,

your screen capture shows a rig control error message, please provide the full message including the details? You can copy the whole message, including the details, to the Windows clipboard by hitting Ctrl+C while the rig control message box has keyboard focus.

Lyle Wallis

Thanks for the idea Lon.  Unfortunately, it didn't change the problem.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is somehow related to the MS Surface itself.  Seems like it should be like any other Win 10 computer.  But something is certainly different!

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 1:59 PM Lon Powell <praisegig@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Bill,
Thanks for your response.  Here are the error details I retrieved using your suggestion.  Looking forward to your ideas on this.
Lyle

---------------------------
WSJT-X
---------------------------
Rig Control Error
---------------------------
Do you want to reconfigure the radio interface?
---------------------------
OK   Retry   Cancel   Configurations...   Hide Details...
---------------------------
Hamlib error:                                                                         IO error
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 rig.c(745):rig_open return
 while opening connection to rig

Timestamp: 2021-02-28T15:11:52.809Z
---------------------------

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 4:28 PM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
On 27/02/2021 16:20, lyle.wallis@... wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I'm a new user of WSJT-X trying to get up and running with my new
> IC-705 with a MS Surface running Win 10.  While all of the setup has
> gone smoothly and I'm able to receive and decode signals as expected I
> cannot send. When I use the "tune" I'll hear a system sound through
> the default speakers followed shortly by this "Error in Sound Input".
> The rig goes into transmit mode but no signal is sent.  I'm at wit's
> end on this and I appreciate any ideas on what to be looking for.
> Here are set of screen shots that should be helpful in sorting through
> this.
> Thank You!
> Lyle

Hi Lyle,

your screen capture shows a rig control error message, please provide
the full message including the details? You can copy the whole message,
including the details, to the Windows clipboard by hitting Ctrl+C while
the rig control message box has keyboard focus.

Hi Lyle,

thanks for that. it looks like both your audio and CAT serial port connections are failing when you transmit. My first guess would be RFI issues disrupting the USB connection to your rig. To verify that try reducing power on the rig to minimum, using a different band, or a dummy load. If the issue goes away then it is almost certainly RFI. It may be cured by getting a good bonding between your rig's chassis and your PC, although that is not easy with a machine like a Surface. What aerial are you using? Can you increase separation between the aerial feed point or ATU and the rig?

On 28/02/2021 15:16, Lyle Wallis wrote:
Hi Bill,
Thanks for your response.  Here are the error details I retrieved using your suggestion.  Looking forward to your ideas on this.
Lyle

---------------------------
WSJT-X
---------------------------
Rig Control Error
---------------------------
Do you want to reconfigure the radio interface?
---------------------------
OK   Retry   Cancel   Configurations...   Hide Details...
---------------------------
Hamlib error:                                                                         IO error
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 rig.c(745):rig_open return
 while opening connection to rig

Timestamp: 2021-02-28T15:11:52.809Z
---------------------------

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 4:28 PM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
On 27/02/2021 16:20, lyle.wallis@... wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I'm a new user of WSJT-X trying to get up and running with my new
> IC-705 with a MS Surface running Win 10.  While all of the setup has
> gone smoothly and I'm able to receive and decode signals as expected I
> cannot send. When I use the "tune" I'll hear a system sound through
> the default speakers followed shortly by this "Error in Sound Input".
> The rig goes into transmit mode but no signal is sent.  I'm at wit's
> end on this and I appreciate any ideas on what to be looking for.
> Here are set of screen shots that should be helpful in sorting through
> this.
> Thank You!
> Lyle

Hi Lyle,

your screen capture shows a rig control error message, please provide
the full message including the details? You can copy the whole message,
including the details, to the Windows clipboard by hitting Ctrl+C while
the rig control message box has keyboard focus.

Lyle Wallis

Hi Bill,
I think you are correct--some RF is coupling into the USB cable.  I tested by using a dummy load (should have tried this sooner!) and it all works as expected.

Checking around a bit this appears to be a somewhat common issue with IC-705 because it is a portable radio and the antenna, especially if it's a random wire, might be relatively near to the USB cable. I was using a random wire w/ tuner just about next to the radio. Even though I was running only 1-5 watts that was enough.  Some folks seem to think the 705 is a bit more sensitive in this regard than other radios.  I don't have enough experience to know.

I don't know if there is any such thing as a shielded USB cable.  It looks like some operators are having luck with an ad hoc choke made by wrapping the USB cable through a toroid a few times. I'll give that a try.

Thank you for your help!
Lyle
KD0GHN

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 9:10 AM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
Hi Lyle,

thanks for that. it looks like both your audio and CAT serial port connections are failing when you transmit. My first guess would be RFI issues disrupting the USB connection to your rig. To verify that try reducing power on the rig to minimum, using a different band, or a dummy load. If the issue goes away then it is almost certainly RFI. It may be cured by getting a good bonding between your rig's chassis and your PC, although that is not easy with a machine like a Surface. What aerial are you using? Can you increase separation between the aerial feed point or ATU and the rig?

On 28/02/2021 15:16, Lyle Wallis wrote:
Hi Bill,
Thanks for your response.  Here are the error details I retrieved using your suggestion.  Looking forward to your ideas on this.
Lyle

---------------------------
WSJT-X
---------------------------
Rig Control Error
---------------------------
Do you want to reconfigure the radio interface?
---------------------------
OK   Retry   Cancel   Configurations...   Hide Details...
---------------------------
Hamlib error:                                                                         IO error
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 rig.c(745):rig_open return
 while opening connection to rig

Timestamp: 2021-02-28T15:11:52.809Z
---------------------------

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 4:28 PM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
On 27/02/2021 16:20, lyle.wallis@... wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I'm a new user of WSJT-X trying to get up and running with my new
> IC-705 with a MS Surface running Win 10.  While all of the setup has
> gone smoothly and I'm able to receive and decode signals as expected I
> cannot send. When I use the "tune" I'll hear a system sound through
> the default speakers followed shortly by this "Error in Sound Input".
> The rig goes into transmit mode but no signal is sent.  I'm at wit's
> end on this and I appreciate any ideas on what to be looking for.
> Here are set of screen shots that should be helpful in sorting through
> this.
> Thank You!
> Lyle

Hi Lyle,

your screen capture shows a rig control error message, please provide
the full message including the details? You can copy the whole message,
including the details, to the Windows clipboard by hitting Ctrl+C while
the rig control message box has keyboard focus.

randy, k8zfj

I have similar issues  regarding transmit and the audio tone using win 10 pro , ms surface laptop  and IC 705, Ironically,all works fine  on older HP all in one desktop, win 10 home edition. go figure!
--
randy/k8zfj

Pa3gcu

I too have a IC705, of all the radio's i have had to play with the 705 seems to be very sensitief for RF, i have ferriet on all lines but still i have problems.
My 2 cents worth.
Richard PA3GCU

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 28 feb. 2021 om 21:34 heeft randy, k8zfj via groups.io <rj7388=yahoo.com@groups.io> het volgende geschreven:

I have similar issues regarding transmit and the audio tone using win 10 pro , ms surface laptop and IC 705, Ironically,all works fine on older HP all in one desktop, win 10 home edition. go figure!
--
randy/k8zfj

Reino Talarmo

Hi,

All those experiences point out that any vertical antenna especially including random wires need an RF return to ground. That return should be as close to the antenna as possible and latest at antenna matching unit (also known as antenna tuner) or at point where coax is connected to that random wire. A stick to ground may work as well as an additional counter wire from antenna matching unit or coax shield. Around a quarter wavelength counter wire may be more effective. In addition a current mode balun should be used at that point.

Next issue is to connect rig and PC "grounds" together with a short and "heavy" wire that would conduct RFI past the most sensitive connecting wires. A shielded USB wire could also work, but it depends on how well that shield is actually connected to "grounds" of rig and PC. Ferrites (with many turns) should be but in USB lines and possibly also power cord and other wires that go to PC.

Hope those help.

73, Reino OH3mA

I too have a IC705, of all the radio's i have had to play with the 705 seems to be very sensitief for RF, i have ferriet on all lines but still i have problems.
My 2 cents worth.
Richard PA3GCU

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 28 feb. 2021 om 21:34 heeft randy, k8zfj via groups.io <rj7388=yahoo.com@groups.io> het volgende geschreven:

I have similar issues regarding transmit and the audio tone using win 10 pro , ms surface laptop and IC 705, Ironically,all works fine on older HP all in one desktop, win 10 home edition. go figure!
--
randy/k8zfj

Jim Brown

On 2/28/2021 10:36 PM, Reino Talarmo wrote:
All those experiences point out that any vertical antenna especially including random wires need an RF return
YES - but it's ANY end fed wire

to ground.
NO,, NO, NO! The earth is a big resistor -- connecting to it burns transmitter power, reducing the strength of the transmitted signal. Indeed, the function of radials is to screen (shield in US English) the RF field from lossy earth, providing low resistance radials to carry the return current. A wire counterpoise carries the return current but doesn't do the shielding.

73, Jim K9YC

Reino Talarmo

NO,, NO, NO! The earth is a big resistor -- connecting to it burns transmitter power, reducing the strength of the transmitted signal.
Indeed, the function of radials is to screen (shield in US English) the RF field from lossy earth, providing low resistance radials to carry the return current. A wire counterpoise carries the return current but doesn't do the shielding.

73, Jim K9YC
Hi Jim,

I fully agree, but the issue was not to improve antenna system. Most operators using random wires are deploying those for temporary usage and don't want or not allowed to build a good radial system with 128 wires all around. The best option to improve antenna system would be use of two wires to form a dipole. Next best is use of elevated counterpoises. A wire counterpoise or ground stick is just to make the system operational and antenna efficiency is of secondary importance, hi!

73, Reino OH3mA