2.3.0 TX No Audio after Band Change #AudioIssues #FT8

Randy Reynard

Edited

After changing bands in 2.3.0, there's initially no audio on TX.  No other changes were made during the installation except the installation.  I'm using an IC-7300  - internal sound card.

I've disovered I can get audio working again by sending a CQ (it won't have audio but will enable TX), halting transmission and sending again.  Then Audio is transmitted.

I've talked with multiple users who are having the same issue with the following:

IC-7300
FT-891
Elecraft K3
IC-9100
IC-7410

I have rechecked the settings.  I'm open to suggestions, but since this is happening with multiple users and radios, I have to believe it's something related to the upgrade to 2.3.0.

Chuck K4RGN

I have also observed no audio from 2.3.0 after changing bands. Doesn't always happen, but sometimes does. If I exit the app and relaunch, the problem goes away. Of course, Murphy's Law dictates that the problem arises when the rare DX station I'm trying to get calls CQ.

I am using Flrig into a Ten-Tec Pegasus with audio via a RIGblaster... but based on the first message in this thread, the problem does not appear to be specific to a rig or to an audio configuration.

73 Chuck K4RGN

Mike Hennes

I have also observed this missing transmit audio after a band change. I am using an FTdx 3000 with Omnirig. A quick press of Halt then re-enable Transmit restores the audio or wait until the next transmit cycle where it is always restored.

Mike — KE0ND

Reino Talarmo

Hi,

Could you provide more details how exactly you change bands to get that happen?

Do you change it during receiving timeslot or during transmit timeslot? Transmission should stop (Enable Tx goes off), if band is changed in the middle of transmission! I am interested to repeat it, but not managed by now.

73, Reino OH3mA

>I have also observed this missing transmit audio after a band change. I am using an FTdx 3000 with Omnirig. A quick press of Halt then re-enable Transmit restores the audio or wait until the next transmit cycle where it is always restored.

Mike — KE0ND

Randy Reynard

When this has occurred for me is when I change bands while receiving, just using the band selector dropdown in the lower left below the received station window.  The radio changes bands but when I attempt to TX there's no audio.  The "halt/enable" fix that others have mentioned has not worked for me.  I have to go into "CQ" operation then halt/enable one or two times before audio goes through.

Mike Hennes

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 04:29 PM, Reino Talarmo wrote:

I only change bands while receiving. The missing audio is often noticed on the first transmit after starting the program as well. The same fix as noted earlier works in that case also,

Mike — KE0ND

>Hi,

Could you provide more details how exactly you change bands to get that happen?

Do you change it during receiving timeslot or during transmit timeslot? Transmission should stop (Enable Tx goes off), if band is changed in the middle of transmission! I am interested to repeat it, but not managed by now.

73, Reino OH3mA

Dj Merrill

I have also noticed this behaviour in 2.4.0-rc1.  I have two separate installations of the software on two Rasperry Pi 4s running Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster).  Each RPi is dedicated to a different radio (uBITX via a Signalink USB and a Yaesu FT-991a via the built in USB).  Both setups will transmit with no audio on the first transmission after starting the software.

I have not noticed the missing audio when changing bands.  A quick test just now did not see this issue happen when changing between bands on my setup.

-Dj

Randy Reynard

I only change during receive - it wouldn't make sense to do it in transmit.

The connection is exactly as it was with 2.2.0, the ONLY change was to upgrade to 2.3.0.

I'm using an Icom 7300 with a shielded USB cable that has toroids on both ends to avoid RFI - which can't be an issue during RX.

The CAT control has no issue putting the radio into TX, there's just no audio.   If I use the "halt Tx" button, and then "Enable Tx" while responding to a CQ, there's no audio.

To get audio to start again, I have to initiate a CQ, then "Halt Tx" and "Enable TX", sometimes 2 or 3 times.

I don't know how else to describe this.

Randy Reynard

I just verified that, indeed, doing a "Halt Tx" and then "Enable" during a TX window will restore audio output.  Sorry, I hadn't tried that thoroughly before.

W0RDR

Reino Talarmo

Thanks Randy,

Some further questions inline.

73, Reino OH3mA

>I only change during receive - it wouldn't make sense to do it in transmit.

R: Fully agree, hi. Do you Stop monitoring and Halt Tx before a band change?

>The connection is exactly as it was with 2.2.0, the ONLY change was to upgrade to 2.3.0.

R: I heard that also 2.4.0-rc1 may have that feature. I tested it also, but could not repeat the issue.

>I'm using an Icom 7300 with a shielded USB cable that has toroids on both ends to avoid RFI - which can't be an issue during RX.

R: Well, in principle something RFI could happen just at the start of the transmission that prevent further audio. Need not be that, would require an oscilloscope to check that. I doubt it for the moment.

>The CAT control has no issue putting the radio into TX, there's just no audio.   If I use the "halt Tx" button, and then "Enable Tx" while responding to a CQ, there's no audio.

R: So after changing the band you have received a full timeslot to spot somebody and double-clicked his call, I assume. And your Tx has gone to transmit at the beginning of next appropriate TX cycle, but no audio. After noting that you use “halt Tx” and “Enable Tx” and still no audio. Or did I missed something? Or do you have “Double-click on call sets Tx enable” unticked and you use “Enable Tx” to invoke transmission?

>To get audio to start again, I have to initiate a CQ, then "Halt Tx" and "Enable TX", sometimes 2 or 3 times.

>I just verified that, indeed, doing a "Halt Tx" and then "Enable" during a TX window will restore audio output.  Sorry, I hadn't tried that thoroughly before.

R: So the “halt Tx” and “Enable Tx” sequence invokes audio during that TX slot.
Does this “no audio after band change” happen also, when you try to send a CQ in the next available Tx period after band change? I assume that there is no confusion about “Tx even/1st “ and which time-slot is used for transmission.

In any case I have not managed to repeat it, but now I have used WSJT-X without any rig, just audio. I have assumed that audio is sent at the same time as CAT has commanded PTT on. By the way which PTT method you are using and which rig we are talking about? We have some unknown issue in your system.

73, Reino OH3mA

I don't know how else to describe this.

Randy Reynard

Answers to the questions - and / or comments:

 Do you Stop monitoring and Halt Tx before a band change?
> No,  I didn't need to stop monitoring in prior versions.  I never change bands during a TX so the 2nd part of that question doesn't apply.

> The RFI question doesn't apply because I'm never transmitting when this happens.  The PTT method I use is CAT. The radio goes into TX with no issues, but there's just no audio.

R: So after changing the band you have received a full timeslot to spot somebody and double-clicked his call, I assume. And your Tx has gone to transmit at the beginning of next appropriate TX cycle, but no audio. After noting that you use “halt Tx” and “Enable Tx” and still no audio. Or did I missed something? Or do you have “Double-click on call sets Tx enable” unticked and you use “Enable Tx” to invoke transmission?
>Your assumption is correct.  I'm waiting for a callsign to show up - after a decode - than double clicking on it to initiate a response, and yes during the beginning of an appropriate TX cycle.   The second part of your question is no longer valid, as I've discovered that a "halt/enable" cycle does restore audio during TX.

Does this “no audio after band change” happen also, when you try to send a CQ in the next available Tx period after band change? I assume that there is no confusion about “Tx even/1st “ and which time-slot is used for transmission.
> I don't know, because I always listen for other stations and respond after a band change.  I understand the "TX even/1st" concept.   I've been using this program for well over a year and haven't had any issues until 2.3.0.

I have assumed that audio is sent at the same time as CAT has commanded PTT on. By the way which PTT method you are using and which rig we are talking about? We have some unknown issue in your system.
>As I have answered or provided before, I am using CAT control to command PTT.  The rig is an ICOM 7300, I now know of at least 3 other 7300 owners with the same issue, as well as Yaesu and other ICOM models.  Others i have contacted agree that nothing changed in their setup except to upgrade to 2.3.0.  They can all restore the transmitted audio by doing a "halt/enable" cycle.

I appreciate your interest and support - I hope my answers are understandable.

W0RDR

Reino Talarmo

Hi Randy.

I tested what happens with my FTdx3000 and could not repeat your non-TX after a band change at all.

Transmission started (with audio) either by double-clicking or Enable Tx immediately after a band change as long as TX-timeslot was valid. This time I did that testing using v2.4.0-rc1. I am using a single USB connection to rig and CAT PTT. Split is set to Rig. So no luck to repeat your behavior, sri.

By the way you should Stop monitoring before a band change as you are uploading to PSKreporter. At least in earlier versions it was possible that previous band spots were uploaded as, if they were received on the new band, hi!

73, Reino OH3mA

Answers to the questions - and / or comments:

 Do you Stop monitoring and Halt Tx before a band change?
> No,  I didn't need to stop monitoring in prior versions.  I never change bands during a TX so the 2nd part of that question doesn't apply.

> The RFI question doesn't apply because I'm never transmitting when this happens.  The PTT method I use is CAT. The radio goes into TX with no issues, but there's just no audio.

R: So after changing the band you have received a full timeslot to spot somebody and double-clicked his call, I assume. And your Tx has gone to transmit at the beginning of next appropriate TX cycle, but no audio. After noting that you use “halt Tx” and “Enable Tx” and still no audio. Or did I missed something? Or do you have “Double-click on call sets Tx enable” unticked and you use “Enable Tx” to invoke transmission?
>Your assumption is correct.  I'm waiting for a callsign to show up - after a decode - than double clicking on it to initiate a response, and yes during the beginning of an appropriate TX cycle.   The second part of your question is no longer valid, as I've discovered that a "halt/enable" cycle does restore audio during TX.

Does this “no audio after band change” happen also, when you try to send a CQ in the next available Tx period after band change? I assume that there is no confusion about “Tx even/1st “ and which time-slot is used for transmission.
> I don't know, because I always listen for other stations and respond after a band change.  I understand the "TX even/1st" concept.   I've been using this program for well over a year and haven't had any issues until 2.3.0.

I have assumed that audio is sent at the same time as CAT has commanded PTT on. By the way which PTT method you are using and which rig we are talking about? We have some unknown issue in your system.
>As I have answered or provided before, I am using CAT control to command PTT.  The rig is an ICOM 7300, I now know of at least 3 other 7300 owners with the same issue, as well as Yaesu and other ICOM models.  Others i have contacted agree that nothing changed in their setup except to upgrade to 2.3.0.  They can all restore the transmitted audio by doing a "halt/enable" cycle.

I appreciate your interest and support - I hope my answers are understandable.

W0RDR

Robert Lorenzini

I can confirm the OP's report. I have exactly the same problem with CAT
keying. The rig keys up but no audio after band change tune or tx. Halt and
tx restores mostly.

Bob - wd6dod

On 2/21/2021 9:50 AM, Randy Reynard wrote:
Answers to the questions - and / or comments:

 Do you Stop monitoring and Halt Tx before a band change?
> No,  I didn't need to stop monitoring in prior versions.  I never change bands during a TX so the 2nd part of that question doesn't apply.

> The RFI question doesn't apply because I'm never transmitting when this happens.  The PTT method I use is CAT. The radio goes into TX with no issues, but there's just no audio.

R: So after changing the band you have received a full timeslot to spot somebody and double-clicked his call, I assume. And your Tx has gone to transmit at the beginning of next appropriate TX cycle, but no audio. After noting that you use “halt Tx” and “Enable Tx” and still no audio. Or did I missed something? Or do you have “Double-click on call sets Tx enable” unticked and you use “Enable Tx” to invoke transmission?
>Your assumption is correct.  I'm waiting for a callsign to show up - after a decode - than double clicking on it to initiate a response, and yes during the beginning of an appropriate TX cycle.   The second part of your question is no longer valid, as I've discovered that a "halt/enable" cycle does restore audio during TX.

Does this “no audio after band change” happen also, when you try to send a CQ in the next available Tx period after band change? I assume that there is no confusion about “Tx even/1st “ and which time-slot is used for transmission.
> I don't know, because I always listen for other stations and respond after a band change.  I understand the "TX even/1st" concept.   I've been using this program for well over a year and haven't had any issues until 2.3.0.

I have assumed that audio is sent at the same time as CAT has commanded PTT on. By the way which PTT method you are using and which rig we are talking about? We have some unknown issue in your system.
>As I have answered or provided before, I am using CAT control to command PTT.  The rig is an ICOM 7300, I now know of at least 3 other 7300 owners with the same issue, as well as Yaesu and other ICOM models.  Others i have contacted agree that nothing changed in their setup except to upgrade to 2.3.0.  They can all restore the transmitted audio by doing a "halt/enable" cycle.

I appreciate your interest and support - I hope my answers are understandable.

W0RDR

Reino Talarmo

Hi Bob,

Starts to be interesting. For records which rig, program version, Radio, General settings and perhaps how exactly band change is operated may be needed before this behavior can be repeated.

73, Reino OH3mA

I can confirm the OP's report. I have exactly the same problem with CAT
keying. The rig keys up but no audio after band change tune or tx. Halt and
tx restores mostly.

Bob - wd6dod

On 2/21/2021 9:50 AM, Randy Reynard wrote:

Answers to the questions - and / or comments:

 Do you Stop monitoring and Halt Tx before a band change?
> No,  I didn't need to stop monitoring in prior versions.  I never change bands during a TX so the 2nd part of that question doesn't apply.

> The RFI question doesn't apply because I'm never transmitting when this happens.  The PTT method I use is CAT. The radio goes into TX with no issues, but there's just no audio.

R: So after changing the band you have received a full timeslot to spot somebody and double-clicked his call, I assume. And your Tx has gone to transmit at the beginning of next appropriate TX cycle, but no audio. After noting that you use “halt Tx” and “Enable Tx” and still no audio. Or did I missed something? Or do you have “Double-click on call sets Tx enable” unticked and you use “Enable Tx” to invoke transmission?
>Your assumption is correct.  I'm waiting for a callsign to show up - after a decode - than double clicking on it to initiate a response, and yes during the beginning of an appropriate TX cycle.   The second part of your question is no longer valid, as I've discovered that a "halt/enable" cycle does restore audio during TX.

Does this “no audio after band change” happen also, when you try to send a CQ in the next available Tx period after band change? I assume that there is no confusion about “Tx even/1st “ and which time-slot is used for transmission.
> I don't know, because I always listen for other stations and respond after a band change.  I understand the "TX even/1st" concept.   I've been using this program for well over a year and haven't had any issues until 2.3.0.

I have assumed that audio is sent at the same time as CAT has commanded PTT on. By the way which PTT method you are using and which rig we are talking about? We have some unknown issue in your system.
>As I have answered or provided before, I am using CAT control to command PTT.  The rig is an ICOM 7300, I now know of at least 3 other 7300 owners with the same issue, as well as Yaesu and other ICOM models.  Others i have contacted agree that nothing changed in their setup except to upgrade to 2.3.0.  They can all restore the transmitted audio by doing a "halt/enable" cycle.

I appreciate your interest and support - I hope my answers are understandable.

W0RDR

Randy Reynard

All of this information has been provided in this topic.  Here is what we've provided:

Rigs impacted - that I'm aware of:

IC-7300
FT-891
Elecraft K4
IC-9100
IC-7410

wsjt-x Version:  2.3.0

Settings have not changed from when it was working in 2.2.x.  In my case the general settings are as listed in the WSJT user manual for use with the 7300.  CAT control for PTT and all has been tested.

We're changing bands, during a receive cycle by using the drop down band menu seen next to the frequency window.

This is impacting a lot of users.

Robert Lorenzini

Anan7000dle
PowerSDR OpenHPSDR mRX PS v3.4.9
Band change by WSJT-X v 2.3.2

Reverted to 2.2.2 and the feature is gone.
I also would get a report of my own station with 30db report after
some time even with band change.

Bob - wd6dod

On 2/21/2021 10:35 PM, Reino Talarmo wrote:

Hi Bob,

Starts to be interesting. For records which rig, program version, Radio, General settings and perhaps how exactly band change is operated may be needed before this behavior can be repeated.

73, Reino OH3mA

I can confirm the OP's report. I have exactly the same problem with CAT
keying. The rig keys up but no audio after band change tune or tx. Halt and
tx restores mostly.

Bob - wd6dod

On 2/21/2021 9:50 AM, Randy Reynard wrote:

Answers to the questions - and / or comments:

 Do you Stop monitoring and Halt Tx before a band change?
> No,  I didn't need to stop monitoring in prior versions.  I never change bands during a TX so the 2nd part of that question doesn't apply.

> The RFI question doesn't apply because I'm never transmitting when this happens.  The PTT method I use is CAT. The radio goes into TX with no issues, but there's just no audio.

R: So after changing the band you have received a full timeslot to spot somebody and double-clicked his call, I assume. And your Tx has gone to transmit at the beginning of next appropriate TX cycle, but no audio. After noting that you use “halt Tx” and “Enable Tx” and still no audio. Or did I missed something? Or do you have “Double-click on call sets Tx enable” unticked and you use “Enable Tx” to invoke transmission?
>Your assumption is correct.  I'm waiting for a callsign to show up - after a decode - than double clicking on it to initiate a response, and yes during the beginning of an appropriate TX cycle.   The second part of your question is no longer valid, as I've discovered that a "halt/enable" cycle does restore audio during TX.

Does this “no audio after band change” happen also, when you try to send a CQ in the next available Tx period after band change? I assume that there is no confusion about “Tx even/1st “ and which time-slot is used for transmission.
> I don't know, because I always listen for other stations and respond after a band change.  I understand the "TX even/1st" concept.   I've been using this program for well over a year and haven't had any issues until 2.3.0.

I have assumed that audio is sent at the same time as CAT has commanded PTT on. By the way which PTT method you are using and which rig we are talking about? We have some unknown issue in your system.
>As I have answered or provided before, I am using CAT control to command PTT.  The rig is an ICOM 7300, I now know of at least 3 other 7300 owners with the same issue, as well as Yaesu and other ICOM models.  Others i have contacted agree that nothing changed in their setup except to upgrade to 2.3.0.  They can all restore the transmitted audio by doing a "halt/enable" cycle.

I appreciate your interest and support - I hope my answers are understandable.

W0RDR

Derek Brown

Hi all,

I had a similar problem on Ver 2.3 this afternoon using a IC-9700, if I hit Tune I get a tone out , if I then went enable tx and call CQ, radio would click over to TX, but no tone sent, no RF from 9700, in USB-D1 and all connectors correct, rebooted PC no change, checked Com port settings all OK, I run HRD and then use that to CAT control WSJT-X, checked Audio settings in WSJT-X - RX ok, and TX looked ok. in then end it seemed to start working again. Will try and see if it does it again later and note steps taken to restore normal functionality.

73 Derek G8ECI.

On Monday, 22 February 2021, 16:16:13 GMT, Robert Lorenzini <bob@...> wrote:

> [...]

I have assumed that audio is sent at the same time as CAT has commanded PTT on. By the way which PTT method you are using and which rig we are talking about? We have some unknown issue in your system.
>As I have answered or provided before, I am using CAT control to command PTT.  The rig is an ICOM 7300, I now know of at least 3 other 7300 owners with the same issue, as well as Yaesu and other ICOM models.  Others i have contacted agree that nothing changed in their setup except to upgrade to 2.3.0.  They can all restore the transmitted audio by doing a "halt/enable" cycle.

I appreciate your interest and support - I hope my answers are understandable.

neil_zampella

Try using 'Halt Tx' button rather than use the Tune button as a toggle.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 2/22/2021 12:58 PM, Derek Brown via groups.io wrote:
> [...]

I have assumed that audio is sent at the same time as CAT has commanded PTT on. By the way which PTT method you are using and which rig we are talking about? We have some unknown issue in your system.
>As I have answered or provided before, I am using CAT control to command PTT.  The rig is an ICOM 7300, I now know of at least 3 other 7300 owners with the same issue, as well as Yaesu and other ICOM models.  Others i have contacted agree that nothing changed in their setup except to upgrade to 2.3.0.  They can all restore the transmitted audio by doing a "halt/enable" cycle.

I appreciate your interest and support - I hope my answers are understandable.

Hi Neil,

It does it if I select Tune, transmits a carrier, de-select Tune, stops TX, on RX, say someone is calling CQ, klick on their callsign, WSJT poplates the various boxes, goes to TX at the right time - No Tones, no TX output, nothing !!!

Derek G8ECI

On Monday, 22 February 2021, 19:48:30 GMT, neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:

> [...]

I have assumed that audio is sent at the same time as CAT has commanded PTT on. By the way which PTT method you are using and which rig we are talking about? We have some unknown issue in your system.
>As I have answered or provided before, I am using CAT control to command PTT.  The rig is an ICOM 7300, I now know of at least 3 other 7300 owners with the same issue, as well as Yaesu and other ICOM models.  Others i have contacted agree that nothing changed in their setup except to upgrade to 2.3.0.  They can all restore the transmitted audio by doing a "halt/enable" cycle.

I appreciate your interest and support - I hope my answers are understandable.

The Halt TX and enable works, but shouldnt have to do that.

RDR