locked Sequencer keying FTDX 101 #WSJTX_config #JT65

Jim White

I have WSTJ-X set up to work with a FTDX-101D and all works great on digital modes except 6 meters.  On 6 I use a tower mounted LNA and with the previous radio used a sequencer to put the LNA in transmit before PTTing the radio and power amp.  WSJT was set up to PTT a Signal Link which PTTd the sequencer which put the LNA in TX, PTTd the radio then the amp.

The FTDX101 uses a direct USB cable between the PC and the radio and a driver that creates two virtual COM ports.  One port is for CAT control, the other for PTT and the digital audio.  So the PC running WSJT keys the radio directly and the radio PTTs the amp.  But nothing puts the LNA into TX.
I built a USB PTT circuit with a 2N2222 but that does not work because the radio uses the same COM port for PTT and digital mode audio.  There is a separate PTT jack on the back of the radio and the sequencer PTTs the radio OK on that jack.  In WSJT if I set the PTT to the 2N2222 interface it PTTs the sequencer OK but no audio gets to the radio.  There does not seem to be a way to split the PTT from the audio COM ports.

So the question is, given the limitations of the FTDX101 (and similar Yaseu radios I assume), how can a sequencer be used with WSJT to PTT the LNA, radio and amp, and still have audio going to the radio?

--
Jim, WD0E

Bill Somerville

On 18/02/2021 16:00, Jim White wrote:
[...]

Jim,

audio is not sent via COM ports, the audio streams over the USB are separate from the virtual COM ports. The rig menu is where you need to look, the settings MODE PSK/DATA - DATA MOD SOURCE needs to be set to REAR to disable the mic and take audio from the USB connection or rear DATA socket, MODE PSK/DATA - RPTT SELECT determines where the PTT is sourced in DATA modes, set it to DAKY to use the PTT pin on the rear DATA/RTTY socket.

I don't have an FTdx101 so cannot verify this, it is possible that using the rear DATA/RTTY socket PTT pin only allows Tx audio via DATA IN pin of the same socket, but the user manual doesn't say that and the table on Page 70 of the English owners manual seems to imply the two settings are completely independent.

Note that the RCA socket labelled PTT on the rear panel is not the input you should be using, that is wired in parallel to the front panel MOX switch and is not going to do the same as the read DATA/RTTY PTT pin.

Lance Collister, W7GJ

Hi Jim,

I am not familiar with your particular setup but it I THINK you can use your Signal Link to key your transceiver (which basically works like VOX), as long as you use a separate COM port to key the LNA and amp via the sequencer. You can set the delay between the sequencer activation and the beginning of audio output by adjusting the FILE/SETTINGS/ADVANCED/TX DELAY setting. Although I always use a sequencer here at home to make sure my K3 is the last piece of equipment keyed for transmit, when I operate portable I just rely on the adjustable delay built into WSJT-X to make sure everything has time to switch before audio is applied to the rig.

If your transceiver connects directly to the computer via a USB port, can't you just select that port and rig under FILE/SETTINGS/RADIO? Then you can get rid of the Signal Link entirely. Connect your homebrew USB PTT circuit for the sequencer to another port, under the PTT section on the FILE/SETTINGS/RADIO screen. Then your sequencer can be used to first put the LNA and then your amplifier into transmit. And you could probably even have the transceiver put into transmit last via the sequencer if you could disable the PTT via the CAT by changing the FORCE CONTROL LINES settings on the FILE/SETTINGS/RADIO screen.

Just a suggestion. GL and VY 73, Lance

On 2/18/2021 16:00:38, Jim White wrote:
[...]

Lance Collister, W7GJ(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ, V6M, T8GJ, VK9CGJ, VK9XGJ, C21GJ, CP1GJ, S79GJ, TX7MB)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
Skype: lanceW7GJ
2m DXCC #11 - 6m DXCC #815 - FFMA #7

Interested in 6m EME? Ask me about subscribing to the new Magic Band EME
page (above)!

Reino Talarmo

And you could probably even have the transceiver put into transmit last via
the sequencer if you could disable the PTT via the CAT by changing the FORCE
CONTROL LINES settings on the FILE/SETTINGS/RADIO screen.

Hi,

I like just to state that forcing control lines is not a good idea. Those
have no direct link with CAT, they only force control lines to fixed values
mainly for providing DC power to some interface circuits.

One possibility is to use RTS or DTR for PTT control using a USB - TTL or
RS-232 converter and drive your sequencer by that.

73, Reino OH3mA

Jim White

Bill,
Thanks for the explanation.  I'll wire the sequencer to the data port and report results
--
Jim, WD0E

Jim White

Hey Lance,
Your idea (sort of) got me thinking about a simpler way.  My solution is to have WSJT key the radio on the USB cable as normal for HF. Set the TX Delay to 400ms. I have the radio PTT the sequencer, which PTTs the LNA, delays 100ms and PTTs the amp.  That all happens before audio is sent to the radio and power output starts.  This method requires only phono cables between the radio, sequencer and amp. Very simple.  The TX Delay is in a "6 meter" config in WSJT.

A mod I'll make at some point will put a switch between the radio/amp and sequencer so for the HF bands (no LNA) the sequencer will be bypassed and the radio will PTT the amp directly.  The HF config will have only the default 200ms TX Delay

Thanks for the suggestions. Problem solved.
--
Jim, WD0E

Lance Collister, W7GJ

Hi Jim,

Glad I could help out! Just be careful if you do NOT key the amp from the computer with the built in WSJT-X time delay of .3 or .5 second delay! I use a footswitch when I operate SSB portable to make sure I can provide enough time for things to switch before I start talking. Yes, sometimes the QSK VOX operated guys come back too fast for me, but I would rather be safe than sorry!

GL and VY 73, Lance

On 2/18/2021 23:53:08, Jim White wrote:
[...]

Wayne Newport

Hi Jim like Lance I use the 200ms delay in WSJT -X and JTDX and have no issues. Nice and simple