locked WSJT-X Suggestion Box #Q65

Michel Bernard VE2BJG

Similar to JTDX, is it possible to get a WAV played when there is activity or a valid decode.

Since activity is almost invisible when signals are weak, there would be less danger of falling asleep before the PC screen due to gazing the waterfall...

This is a very legitimate request I feel. A wav file played on a valid decode.. That would also allow for cooking in the kitchen and coming to PC when it is alive...

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

That's why there's third-party utilities, its not a core part of the program.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 2/17/2021 12:53 PM, Michel Bernard VE2BJG wrote:

Similar to JTDX, is it possible to get a WAV played when there is activity or a valid decode.

Since activity is almost invisible when signals are weak, there would be less danger of falling asleep before the PC screen due to gazing the waterfall...

This is a very legitimate request I feel. A wav file played on a valid decode.. That would also allow for cooking in the kitchen and coming to PC when it is alive...

Michel Bernard VE2BJG

It is built-in in JTDX Neil...

Reino Talarmo

>It is built-in in JTDX Neil...

Hi,

I second Neil, but I am interested to learn what this WAV playing means. What information you get from it? Is it those weak signals that were not decoded, but just present in waterfall or what?

73, Reino OH3mA

Carl - WC4H

Hi Michael.

GridTracker and JTAlerts can both do that and more.  A lot of people use one or both of them.

73
Carl - WC4H

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

It was added to JTDX ... as the original WSJT-X code never had it since that's not part of the purpose of the WSJT-X program.

What they do with the clone is their get out ... I'd rather see the improvements and new modes that happen from the original.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 2/18/2021 7:18 AM, Michel Bernard VE2BJG wrote:

It is built-in in JTDX Neil...

Michel Bernard VE2BJG

Edited

OK let me clarify. Since I am almost color blind, I never cared much for JTALERT since I find it useless (I can't detect the colors....).

Yes I have recently added GridTracker but I am not yet very familiar with it. I need to investigate more. You might be correct Carl and I will find out. This might just be the answer to my problem.

When using JTDX I always play a short bursty sound lasting about 100msec to warn me someone is either calling me if I am not watching the screen. Sometimes stations call you after 2 or 3 minutes. This short wav file is also played anyone is using my callsign. Yes during a QSO as well. I have edited that nice bursty sound using Acoustica and it is really nice and catchy.

You also have the choice of playing that wav file on any decoded activity. This is really usefull when a band is closed or you are waiting for a band to open, waiting for a sporadic E event or some other tropo/meteor scatter occurence. There are no stations there and you spend endless minutes/hours "scope-watching a boring screen" until someone shows up. In JTDX, just leave it "listening for a band opening" and then you hear the secret wav file that catches your attention while you are cooking in the kitchen. This is really a usefull idea someone has coded JTDX. It is a menu choice.

Yes I know third party can do this maybe but it just thought the WSJT team had only one copy-paste operation to do ("stealing the code") from open source JTDX. That was only a suggestion box idea.

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

Third party utilities will play any wav file you want for the alerts you want, you don't have to use the 'pretty colors'.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 2/19/2021 10:11 AM, Michel Bernard VE2BJG wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 20/02/2021 3:11 am, Michel Bernard VE2BJG wrote:
I never cared much for JTALERT since I find it useless (I can't detect the colors
Just an FYI, JTAlert allows you to modify the colors for each Alert type, both the background color and the color of the font, there is no restriction, they can be modified per your own personal preference. In addition to the colored alerting there is the sound alerting where each Alert type can be assigned a unique identifying sound including the volume level on a per Alert type basis.

It was JTAlert color alerting that was the inspiration for colored alerting being introduced to WSJT-X.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Michel Bernard VE2BJG

Please note I could not care less with colors. I want an alarm on any valid decode.

I tested both Gridtracker and JTalert. Gridtracker would not sound on decodes.

Now JTalert is in interesting cookie.... Although I see JTalert working correctly (tons of activity on screen) and setting up audio alarms on "Own Call" or any "Decode" it still won't sound my selected wav file on valid decodes. Any decode.

I will keep testing but for now I really hope coders (that was my initial suggestion) will cut and paste existing JTDX code into WSJT-X. I am only using WSJT for 6m Q65 and MSK144 modes. I don't care for the rest. I feel JTDX has much more sensitive decoders and is more tailored for operators. Less for kludge inclined addon lovers.

Sam Birnbaum

Hi Michel,

I sent you a private email. Don't know if you received it or if it went into your spam folder.

73,

Sam W2JDB

Please note I could not care less with colors. I want an alarm on any valid decode.

I tested both Gridtracker and JTalert. Gridtracker would not sound on decodes.

Now JTalert is in interesting cookie.... Although I see JTalert working correctly (tons of activity on screen) and setting up audio alarms on "Own Call" or any "Decode" it still won't sound my selected wav file on valid decodes. Any decode.

I will keep testing but for now I really hope coders (that was my initial suggestion) will cut and paste existing JTDX code into WSJT-X. I am only using WSJT for 6m Q65 and MSK144 modes. I don't care for the rest. I feel JTDX has much more sensitive decoders and is more tailored for operators. Less for kludge inclined addon lovers.

d_ziolkowski

Michael-

in JT alert go to settings/alerts. there you can choose the alerts. for audio, goto the bottom of the page, select the alert sound, adjust desired volume. don't forget to download the alert audio files.

The alert that will give you the most alerts is CQ. you will get an alert every CQ that gets decoded. However be prepared for lots of alerts especially on busy bands. I myself have this one shut off, as it drove me crazy.

The other alerts will look at your log and see if that call is needed for the variations such as wanted dxcc, or wanted grid , then sound an alert as appropriate. Each can be a different sound.

I also don't use colors, I have a hard time remembering what each represents, and you have to be looking at the screen.

Dan KC2STA

--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T

Michel Bernard VE2BJG

Thanks Dan. Yes I noticed the "CQ" alarm toggle. Like I said I have not given up on JTalert yet. It looks promising. I will investigate at depth later on.

I am almost tempted (since I am a SocketWrench library / VB 6 programmer) to intercept the loopback UDP messages (message 12 I believe) and see what is going on in there and coding my own little kludge to do it.

I promise I will post if I find a way to do this with JTalert

Michel Bernard VE2BJG

Yes I did download the sound library but I use my own wav files as well. I am good at Acoustica, Audacity and Wavelab. Love to create the sounds.

Michel Bernard VE2BJG

Bingo !
Here is my turnaround:  Use JTalert's "Out of shack" alert. There is a provision there for "Any new decodes".

Works fine. You have to use a very short wav file because the alarm is triggered for the number of stations that show up. Even setting Alert Repeat to 1, the wav file will be played the number of stations there... It would be fine if there was a "Any single new decode" button but the option does not exist.

I can live with that mitigation for now since I will be using it for rare 6m openings. If the band opens, I then get the alarm that warns me and then leave the kitchen/TV and go to the PC.

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

Do you have it setup with a logger, or a log file?    If so, have you done a rescan of the log so JT-Alert can pick up the already worked entities?  Did you turn on the alerts and assign a .wav file to each one?

There is some setup needed to make it work properly.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 2/20/2021 8:49 AM, Michel Bernard VE2BJG wrote:

Please note I could not care less with colors. I want an alarm on any valid decode.

I tested both Gridtracker and JTalert. Gridtracker would not sound on decodes.

Now JTalert is in interesting cookie.... Although I see JTalert working correctly (tons of activity on screen) and setting up audio alarms on "Own Call" or any "Decode" it still won't sound my selected wav file on valid decodes. Any decode.

I will keep testing but for now I really hope coders (that was my initial suggestion) will cut and paste existing JTDX code into WSJT-X. I am only using WSJT for 6m Q65 and MSK144 modes. I don't care for the rest. I feel JTDX has much more sensitive decoders and is more tailored for operators. Less for kludge inclined addon lovers.

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

Michel,

you can go on the hamapps groups.io group and ask for such a feature.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 2/20/2021 11:35 AM, Michel Bernard VE2BJG wrote:

Bingo !
Here is my turnaround:  Use JTalert's "Out of shack" alert. There is a provision there for "Any new decodes".

Works fine. You have to use a very short wav file because the alarm is triggered for the number of stations that show up. Even setting Alert Repeat to 1, the wav file will be played the number of stations there... It would be fine if there was a "Any single new decode" button but the option does not exist.

I can live with that mitigation for now since I will be using it for rare 6m openings. If the band opens, I then get the alarm that warns me and then leave the kitchen/TV and go to the PC.

Joe WB9SBD

Can someone send me a Link to where I can learn about this "Q65"?

Joe WB9SBD

On 2/20/2021 11:56 AM, neil_zampella wrote:

Michel,

you can go on the hamapps groups.io group and ask for such a feature.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 2/20/2021 11:35 AM, Michel Bernard VE2BJG wrote:
Bingo !
Here is my turnaround:  Use JTalert's "Out of shack" alert. There is a provision there for "Any new decodes".

Works fine. You have to use a very short wav file because the alarm is triggered for the number of stations that show up. Even setting Alert Repeat to 1, the wav file will be played the number of stations there... It would be fine if there was a "Any single new decode" button but the option does not exist.

I can live with that mitigation for now since I will be using it for rare 6m openings. If the band opens, I then get the alarm that warns me and then leave the kitchen/TV and go to the PC.

Darl DEEDS

Have you tried the help file in the WSJT-X program? There is an extensive file on using for the first time.

Darl  NA8W

[...]

Head to the WSJT-X website .. https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html
or just click on this link:  https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/Q65_Quick_Start.pdf

FWIW ... Q65 is "designed for minimal two-way QSOs over especially difficult propagation paths including EME and various types of scatter."

Neil, KN3ILZ