Sudden blindness to sound card and ports windows 10 #AudioIssues #Cat_RigControl #BugReport

Chris

I'm using different hashtags now that I have the hang of this.

I cannot get wsjt-x to see sound cards, and the com ports do not work either. I suspect this happened when a windows update came, but I've backed those of to no avail.

MIXW4 works fine with the same settings as always.Here's what eventually happens:  What does this mean?  The rig is there and other programs use it just fine.

Chris, AB6QK

neil_zampella

That has nothing to do with audio ... that's a CAT control error.

As far as sound cards, what are you using for a sound card?  Built in card, USB soundcard, etc?

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 2/13/2021 7:04 PM, Chris wrote:
I'm using different hashtags now that I have the hang of this.

I cannot get wsjt-x to see sound cards, and the com ports do not work either. I suspect this happened when a windows update came, but I've backed those of to no avail.

MIXW4 works fine with the same settings as always.Here's what eventually happens:  What does this mean?  The rig is there and other programs use it just fine.

Chris, AB6QK

Chris

Com ports are also affected.  Basically all I/O is broken.  MixW4 works fine and I can make FT8 contacts with it.  Last week, wsjt-x was working fine.

The interface to the rig is serial via a rig blaster.  The sound card s a C-Media on the PCI bus (not USB).Again, other programs work fine with it.

Attempting to re-configure, before I click on the pick list the correct card is shown, but if I expand the list, that card disappears and the only card showing is the default (there should be over 3 devices) and even the default does not work.

The com ports show up and are set correctly, but they throw the error when we try to test the CAT function.

The only thing that changed since last week was a Windows update.  I've rolled that back but still no joy.

I need help, but please don't give me all the stock questions and answers! I'll say it again: EVERY OTHER PROGRAM WORKS CORRECTLY WITH ALL DEVICES. Sorry for shouting, but I need to make that perfectly clear.Wsjt-x worked correctly last week.

I have uninstalled and re installed wsjt-x more than once. I've cleaned the registry, and I even did a search and destroy on all wsjt-x registry entries.  This is a strange one guys.  If the developers are listening, is there any API that wsjt-x calls that might not be needed by other programs? Oh, and I also ran system file checker and it reported no issues.

Chris, AB6QK

Chris

New information courtesy of "Serial Port Monitor":  For some reason, wsjt-x is now sending the wrong status query string to the radio!  It is sending ID; (that's I D semicolon).  The correct query is IF; (I F semicolon).  The wrong string returns a ? (question mark) which means huh? Not sure why this would change.  I verified its operation on my FT-817, and it is sending the correct string there and CAT works correctly on that radio.

We now understand why CAT isn't working but we don't know how to fix it.  Is there a file that provides this info to wsjt-x that might have been corrupted?  Is there any way to fix it?

Now, I still don't have sound cards showing up, and this is true with either the Kenwood or the Yaesu. The problems might be related, such as if a table look-up by the program wasn't working correctly.

Chris, AB6QK

Bill Somerville

On 15/02/2021 21:15, Chris wrote:
[...]

ID is a valid query on most modern Kenwood and Yasesu rigs, Hamlib uses that command as a way of verifying commands with no conformation response have been completed. If an ID command is not recognized then you may well have the wrong number of stop bits specified or the rig may not have that command, that's fine as Hamlib may be probing the rig to see if it is supported. You talk about an FT-817 but these commands would not be sent to that rig since it has a completely different CAT command set and protocol. If you want help with CAT communications how about revealing what version of WSJT-X you are actually trying to connect with?

Chris

I think it would be better to focus on the bigger issue which is the sound card problem.
Note this capture.  The correct card shows initially as "not found".  If I click on the pick list (which I did on the bottom output list) No cards show up.
I'm pretty sure this is due to some corruption in the WSJT-X installation, but un installing and re installing does not fix it.  I'm hoping someone with good knowledge of the "under the hood" areas might shed some light on this.
To restate, all other programs see and work it the card just fine, and WSJT-X worked fine until a bit over a week ago.  This was a sudden and unexpected change.
Chris, AB6QK

Bill Somerville

On 16/02/2021 19:36, Chris wrote:
I think it would be better to focus on the bigger issue which is the sound card problem.
Note this capture.  The correct card shows initially as "not found".  If I click on the pick list (which I did on the bottom output list) No cards show up.
I'm pretty sure this is due to some corruption in the WSJT-X installation, but un installing and re installing does not fix it.  I'm hoping someone with good knowledge of the "under the hood" areas might shed some light on this.
To restate, all other programs see and work it the card just fine, and WSJT-X worked fine until a bit over a week ago.  This was a sudden and unexpected change.
Chris, AB6QK
Hi Chris,

the (Not found) annotation means exactly what it says. The underlying Qt framework functionality we use to enumerate audio devices did not list the one you last used in WSJT-X. If the drop down list is also empty then no audio devices are available to WSJT-X.

MS Windows has several audio sub-systems, the one we have access to is called MME (Multi-Media Extensions). If MME is unable to enumerate your audio devices then the problem lies within MS Windows and your best source of support is probably with Microsoft support. A basic question like "I am using an application that uses MME audio and it can't see any audio devices, what should I do?" seems pertinent.

If you are happy to download and run a pre-built executable from me, the following application will enumerate the audio devices seen by MME using just MS system library code without any of the framework layers we use in WSJT-X, it would be interesting to see the output:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kidxhnb8w20j7w4/audio_devices_enumeration.exe?dl=1

The source code is here if you want to know what it does or prefer to build it yourself:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mj0f68q7xd07h4/audio_devices_enumeration.zip?dl=1

Chris

Thank you for the reply, Bill.  Since last post I did another "hail mary" by uninstalling and deleting all the folders including those in appdata, and downloading a fresh copy.  This gave me a fresh install with nothing set.  Unfortunately, no joy. The symptoms persist.  Here is the result of the run of your audio_devices_enumeration.exe. Aside from showing only one of the input devices, the inventory appears complete.  The C-Media is what the Kenwood is connected to. USB AUDIO CODEC (which is a Signalink) is for the FT-817.  The windows card is the SB X-FI. Happy to do any other testing you might suggest.  Chris, AB6QK.

Bill Somerville

On 17/02/2021 19:27, Chris wrote:
Thank you for the reply, Bill.  Since last post I did another "hail mary" by uninstalling and deleting all the folders including those in appdata, and downloading a fresh copy.  This gave me a fresh install with nothing set.  Unfortunately, no joy. The symptoms persist.  Here is the result of the run of your audio_devices_enumeration.exe. Aside from showing only one of the input devices, the inventory appears complete.  The C-Media is what the Kenwood is connected to. USB AUDIO CODEC (which is a Signalink) is for the FT-817.  The windows card is the SB X-FI. Happy to do any other testing you might suggest.  Chris, AB6QK.

Hi Chris,

that output is less than there should be. I would expect each device to appear twice, the second one with a "Wave ID". For example here is what I see on my system:

C:\build\temp>\Users\bill\Dropbox\Public\audio_devices_enumeration.exe
number of wave out devices: 11
Wave out device: name: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) Wave ID: 0
Wave out device: name: CyberLink Audio Renderer (PDVD10)
Wave out device: name: Default DirectSound Device
Wave out device: name: Default WaveOut Device Wave ID: -1
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Line 7 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Line 5 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: CABLE Input (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Line 6 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Line 3 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Line 4 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Line 8 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Wave out device: name: DirectSound: Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Wave out device: name: Line 7 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 1
Wave out device: name: Line 5 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 2
Wave out device: name: CABLE Input (VB-Audio Virtual Cable) Wave ID: 3
Wave out device: name: Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 4
Wave out device: name: Line 6 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 5
Wave out device: name: Line 3 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 6
Wave out device: name: Line 4 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 7
Wave out device: name: Line 8 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 8
Wave out device: name: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio) Wave ID: 9
Wave out device: name: Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 10

number of wave in devices: 11
Wave in device: name: Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio) Wave ID: 0
Wave in device: name: Line 8 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 1
Wave in device: name: CABLE Output (VB-Audio Virtual Cable) Wave ID: 2
Wave in device: name: Line 4 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 3
Wave in device: name: Line 5 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 4
Wave in device: name: Stereo Mix (Realtek High Definition Audio) Wave ID: 5
Wave in device: name: Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 6
Wave in device: name: Line 7 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 7
Wave in device: name: Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 8
Wave in device: name: Line 3 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 9
Wave in device: name: Line 6 (Virtual Audio Cable) Wave ID: 10

Note that each device appears as a Direct Sound device and as a device with a Wave ID. It is the devices with Wave IDs that are presented to WSJT-X when we enumerate the available audio devices. You only have he built in devices and the USB AUDIO CODEC device is missing.

Chris

Wow! Thanks Bill.  This isn't good news obviously, but it confirms my suspicion that its a windows issue most likely introduced with an update gone wrong. If you have any hints I'd love to hear them.  Otherwise, I guess I get to have the "fun" of dealing with Microsoft support.  I recall once I had a similar problem that got solved by installing a patch / mix program but that was years ago and I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called! At any rate thanks for the help.  I really would like to get this going again on this machine.

Chris, AB6QK

Mike Wilhelm

Try looking at the sound card settings:  Echo Suppression and Noise Cancellation.  The W10 updates often turn those on which causes my waterfall to fill with solid pixels and appears to have gone deaf.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021, 10:28 AM Chris <chris@...> wrote:
Wow! Thanks Bill.  This isn't good news obviously, but it confirms my suspicion that its a windows issue most likely introduced with an update gone wrong. If you have any hints I'd love to hear them.  Otherwise, I guess I get to have the "fun" of dealing with Microsoft support.  I recall once I had a similar problem that got solved by installing a patch / mix program but that was years ago and I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called! At any rate thanks for the help.  I really would like to get this going again on this machine.

Chris, AB6QK

Chris

Bill I thought I'd update you and anyone else watching this.  I have spent hours on 3 different levels of Microsoft support.  They are all stumped.  The last option suggested was blowing up the machine and doing a cold re install of Windows 10. I'm not willing to do that right now, at least not until tax season has passed!

The last guy gave me another number which seems to be the standard Microsoft 365 number.  Not much hope there.

I have one other thing I might try.  Uninstall all sound drivers and remove the devices, then do a repair upgrade (which doesn't lose programs) with no sound devices.  May remove the serial devices also as they are also affected (they show up, but they don't work).  Again, all other programs do this ok, including MIXW4, which this has forced me to get used to!

I'm completely willing to do any tests you might have, and I would love to hear any ideas you might have on this issue.  This is definitely the strangest Windows problem I've ever had, and I've been at this stuff for over 30 years!

Best,

Chris, AB6QK

Chris

Update: after hours of work, I solved this. It turned out to be caused by a (very) badly behaving modem card! It actually permanently damaged the operating system, so just uninstalling and removing wasn't enough.  I had to do a maintenance upgrade to Windows 10 to recover. This takes hours as it is just like a full install except it doesn't remove programs and files.

I now have a different problem to address: Please note that the settings are the same for mixw4 and they work there. This used to work some months back which was the last time I was able to use Wsjt due to the sound card issue.The rig is a Kenwood TS-450S.  I may start a new thread on this, but thought I'd give those watching this one a shot at it first! It looks like it is failing to get ID.  This might be some error that crept into the rig definitions.  A re install has been tried and still the same result. It works fine with my Yaesu FT-817 (with different com port of course).

Chris, AB6QK