locked Sudden "blindness" to audio windows 10 #Cat_RigControl #AudioIssues

Chris

Has anyone had the program just stop recognizing devices on the computer in windows 10?

They don't appear in the pick list for the settings.  But, Mixw 2 through 4 work fine and see everything (as does device manager)

I have:
backed off the last win 10 update.
uninstalled and reinstalled
run a registry cleaner

and, it ran fine last time it was used.

Chris, AB6QK

Bob Turner

My audio device for IC-7300  disappears when a windows update has been pending / waiting for shutdown, update, restart.  Happened 15 minutes ago when I powered off rig, and powered it on again.  I assume WSJTx had a lock on the device which was released when I shut them down, then Windows took the lock.  Upon power up of IC-7300 and restart of WSJTx, my audio device was missing as windows set a lock.  I then let shutdown, update, restart proceed.  All was fine afterwards.  This happened about 20 minutes ago.

Bob N2SCJ

Has anyone had the program just stop recognizing devices on the computer in windows 10?

They don't appear in the pick list for the settings.  But, Mixw 2 through 4 work fine and see everything (as does device manager)

I have:
backed off the last win 10 update.
uninstalled and reinstalled
run a registry cleaner

and, it ran fine last time it was used.

Chris, AB6QK

Chris

Thanks for the reply Bob.  Unfortunately, that isn't what is happening here.  It is still bad a day later.  Other applictions see the ports and cards just fine so it wouldn't be a windows lockout.  If I were to hazard a guess I'd say maybe a change in an API that broke WSJT-X access.  This may take some time an effort to untangle.  I'm hoping the gurus will see this and offer a suggestion.

Chris, AB6QK

[...]

When applications look for ports, they can either look for all ports present, or just those that are available for use by  the application. So that some applications report that the port is present doesn’t necessarily mean it’s available.

Phil

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Alan G4ZFQ

On 12/02/2021 16:35, Chris wrote:
Thanks for the reply Bob.  Unfortunately, that isn't what is happening here.  It is still bad a day later.  Other applictions see the ports and cards just fine
Chris,

Is the required device set as Windows Default?
If so WSJT-X will not show it.
This is to stop other noises entering your TX audio.

Set something else as default.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

neil_zampella

There was just a Windows 10 update.    This happens each and every time MS sends out an update.

If you're using a single USB connection for CAT and audio, the answer that I've seen given and used is to disconnect the USB cable, reinstall the ICOM drivers, connect the USB cable.   The rig needs to be on when you do the connection.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 2/12/2021 10:35 AM, Chris wrote:
[...]

Ironically, the only device showing is the Windows Default.  No, the device needed is not the Windows default. The device I'm using for the Kenwood is a c-media pci card, which works fine with other programs, and was working with wsjt-x until the last few days.

Again, the device shows in device manager as working properly, and mixw4 can see it and use it fine. It doesn not show up in wsjt-x settings at all.

I'm suspicious of a Windows update breaking something wsjt-x uses.  I had no improvement rolling back the last windows update.  There was also a security update that I have not rolled back yet, so that might be the next step.

Chris, AB6QK