Topics

Mac Update, Now Memory Issue #install #mac

Randy Cook

All working fine. MacOS+WSJT-X 2.3.0+IC7300 with Intel MacBook Air
Just applied minor update to  MacOS BigSur to 11.2.1 this evening.

Immediately got Shared Memory Error when firing up WSJT-X 2.3.0 after OS update.
Reloaded WSJT-X, using instructions from ReadMe, copied sysctl successfully
Rebooted and checked that changes to Memory were made:

randy@Randys-MacBook-Air-2 ~ % sysctl -a | grep sysv.shm

Returns

kern.sysv.shmmax: 4194304

kern.sysv.shmmin: 1

kern.sysv.shmmni: 32

kern.sysv.shmseg: 8

kern.sysv.shmall: 1024

Memory changes were not applied.
What am I missing? Thanks
Randy k6CRC

Bill Somerville

On 11/02/2021 08:01, Randy Cook wrote:
All working fine. MacOS+WSJT-X 2.3.0+IC7300 with Intel MacBook Air
Just applied minor update to  MacOS BigSur to 11.2.1 this evening.

Immediately got Shared Memory Error when firing up WSJT-X 2.3.0 after OS update.
Reloaded WSJT-X, using instructions from ReadMe, copied sysctl successfully
Rebooted and checked that changes to Memory were made:

randy@Randys-MacBook-Air-2 ~ % sysctl -a | grep sysv.shm

Returns

kern.sysv.shmmax: 4194304

kern.sysv.shmmin: 1

kern.sysv.shmmni: 32

kern.sysv.shmseg: 8

kern.sysv.shmall: 1024

Memory changes were not applied.
What am I missing? Thanks
Randy k6CRC

Hi Randy,

please try following the ReadMe.txt instructions for M1 Macs, it may be that the ability to set SysV kernel parameters via a sysctl.conf file is no longer available on Intel Macs either. Please let us know how it goes?

Mark Swaney

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 01:48 AM, Bill Somerville wrote:

Hi Randy,

please try following the ReadMe.txt instructions for M1 Macs, it may be that the ability to set SysV kernel parameters via a sysctl.conf file is no longer available on Intel Macs either. Please let us know how it goes?

I had the same problem with the Big Sur update.  The M1 Mac solution appears to have worked to solve the shared memory issue for me.
Mark KD6ASL

K3JRZ

It seems after every update we need to re-add the sysctl.conf file. Not a big deal, but just a little annoyance. Easy, simple procedure.

Jeff
K3JRZ

--

Thanks & 73,

Jeff
K3JRZ
100WAAW #404

--

Thanks & 73,

Jeff
K3JRZ
100WAAW #404

bruce@wilson.org

I suspect you didn’t reboot immediately after the sysctl.conf re-install step.  I did the same thing.

73
Bruce W4CG

On Feb 11, 2021, at 03:01, Randy Cook <crcooklb@...> wrote:

All working fine. MacOS+WSJT-X 2.3.0+IC7300 with Intel MacBook Air
Just applied minor update to  MacOS BigSur to 11.2.1 this evening.

Immediately got Shared Memory Error when firing up WSJT-X 2.3.0 after OS update.
Reloaded WSJT-X, using instructions from ReadMe, copied sysctl successfully
Rebooted and checked that changes to Memory were made:

randy@Randys-MacBook-Air-2 ~ % sysctl -a | grep sysv.shm

Returns

kern.sysv.shmmax: 4194304

kern.sysv.shmmin: 1

kern.sysv.shmmni: 32

kern.sysv.shmseg: 8

kern.sysv.shmall: 1024

Memory changes were not applied.
What am I missing? Thanks
Randy k6CRC

Randy Cook

Thanks to all for prompt replies

I updated MacOS BigSur to the most recent version, 11.2.1, yesterday evening and got the Shared Memory error after required reboot of MacOS and restart of WSJT-X.

I have an Intel Macbook Air, but used the ReadMe installation instructions for the M1 version, per Bill's suggestion.

WSJT-X is now working properly.

Randy K6CRC

Bill, W8BC

I also updated to MacOS BigSur 11.2.1 last night and got the Shared Memory error on my 16" Intel MacBookPro 2019, which is the latest version of the MacBookPro 16". I used the Intel instructions to install the sysctl.conf, and everything is woking fine.
W8BC