locked #BugReport #IssueReport

David Ackrill

I've used the hastag "BugReport" as there didn't seem to be anything else that would cover this.

Using Q65 today someone, on one of the KST Chat rooms, mentioned that it was taking a long time from the end of a reception period before the decoded message appeared in the left-hand 'message' window on his set up.

I put a stopwatch on it, on my set up, and found the following delay from when the blue "Decoding" button came on until when the display put the previous RX period results up.

Q65-15A = 7 seconds, 15B = 6 seconds and C = 5 seconds.  Q65-30A = 7 seconds, B = 7.5 seconds and C = 6 seconds.  The 'decoding' button does come up before the end of the RX period, of course, but the decoded message still took between 3 and 5 seconds to appear after the end of the RX period.  The other guy on the forum was reporting the decode not coming up until nearly the end of the transmit period on his set up at times, I have tried to be careful not to load up a lot of 'stuff' onto this 'new' (refurbished) machine so as not to slow it up too much.

I also noticed that, at times, the blue 'decoding' button stayed on well into the next period, but I couldn't say why, or whether that was supposed to happen, so I've ignored it at the moment.

Has anyone else noticed a significant delay in decoding on Q65?

Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)

Bill Somerville

On 04/02/2021 16:25, David Ackrill wrote:

[...]

Dave,

that decoding takes many millions of CPU cycles, it cannot be instant. There will surely be some optimizations that speed things up but this is just the first release candidate and there are still some rough edges. Use a narrower FTol once you know where your QSO partners are and decoding will be much faster. If you are on a sked then check the "Settings->General->Single decode" option to save the decoder having to look for signals outside of the FTol frequency window.