Is this supposed to happen? #IssueReport #FoxAndHound

Tony Collett

Hi Group
I had an intriguing experience yesterday calling a Fox on 30m

When my call was selected my Tx was correctly moved to the Fox frequency but he was not seeing my report so he kept sending his report to me while I responded with his report for 3 periods.

On the 4th period he dropped my call and went on to work a different station - my first failure to work an F&H QSO !

What I didn't expect was that my transmitter was moved off the Fox frequency to a different one (but still below 1000Hz) and WSJT kept sending my report to the Fox. It continued to do this for some time and the timer didn't come into operation which it does when you are just calling the Fox.

Eventually I manually stopped the transmission, moved my frequency back above 1000Hz and started calling anew.
Glad to say I was selected and completed a short while later....

My question - is it supposed to continuously send a report to the Fox after the QSO has been abandoned - (I can check my all.txt file to see just how long).
The Fox called CQ several times before I stopped WSJT sending the report as it was obvious he wasn't seeing me or going to come back with the RR73 I needed.
If I had let it continue would the Fox eventually have picked me up while transmitting a report in "no mans land"?

For the record I was using V2.2.2
Thanks
Tony G4NBS

Dave Garber

I have had this done to me too, and believe it to be normal operation

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 7:06 PM Tony Collett via groups.io <tony.nbs=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

David Piersall

You've given a very good description of how Dxpedition mode works. Three strikes and you're out, as we say in the US.
If the Fox doesn't complete with you, you get kicked into the weeds where you won't bother him any more. Immediately go back above 1000 and start over. I've certainly been there and done that.

Dave, N6ORB

Bill Somerville

On 04/02/2021 02:42, David Piersall wrote:
You've given a very good description of how Dxpedition mode works. Three strikes and you're out, as we say in the US.
If the Fox doesn't complete with you, you get kicked into the weeds where you won't bother him any more. Immediately go back above 1000 and start over. I've certainly been there and done that.

Dave, N6ORB
Dave,

"kicked into the weeds" is not what is happening here. If you can't complete with the Fox in a couple of overs WSJT-X will shift you up a couple of hundred Hertz to allow stations with better propagation to be worked, but the Fox is still able to decode your signal and reply. Admittedly after a couple of minutes your best strategy is to move up above 1000 Hz and call again when you hear the Fox. If you are just waiting for an RR73 from the Fox then persevere a bit longer as the Fox will keep replying to R+report messages even if they have already logged the QSO.

John, K9MM

From: Tony Collett
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 16:06:01 PST
Hi Group
I had an intriguing experience yesterday calling a Fox on 30m
When my call was selected my Tx was correctly moved to the Fox frequency but he was not seeing my report so he kept sending his report to me while I responded with his report for 3 periods.
On the 4th period he dropped my call and went on to work a different station - my first failure to work an F&H QSO !
What I didn't expect was that my transmitter was moved off the Fox frequency to a different one (but still below 1000Hz) and WSJT kept sending my report to the Fox. It continued to do this for some time and the timer didn't come into operation which it does when you are just calling the Fox.
I had this same experience with 4U1UN on 30M. After sending my transmission several times at about +750, the QSO completed.

I noted that while many of the stations calling were loud, they were frequently receiving reports lower than -15. Possibly he has high noise levels or a receiver problem?

I had observed this same F/H behavior with 4U1UN a few days earlier on 40M, but didn't manage to work him that time.

73,

John, K9MM

Tony Collett

Thanks Bill (& Dave)

I realised this was expected behaviour, as you say 3 periods then moved into what I called "no mans land" .
Good to know that if propagation or QRM allowed it would probably have completed even though I successfully chose to start fresh above 1000Hz.

What I didn't expect was that there appeared to be no time out on my subsequent transmissions while I was sending the report. - For the record how long would I have continued to transmit his report - is this set by the usual Tx timer that is set for "normal" FT8 mode or would it have continued forever until I decided to give up?

Thanks
Tony G4NBS