locked #Install #BugReport #WSJTX_config WSJT-X not working after 2.3.0 install #WSJTX_config #install #IssueReport

Jim Pruitt

I was decoding using WSJT-X 2.2.2 (64 bit) and today I installed the newest 2.3.0 (64 bit)  When I did WSJTX stopped working.  The waterfall is totally blank (not a single signal showing up despite LOTS of activity on the frequency.  Looking at the configuration had the Audio Soundcard input first as Default device Not found and then it showed it as blank and now it is back to not found. The USB sound card dongle was working with 2.2.2 but is not even seen by 2.3.0 and the dongle is flashing with the audio input.  How do I get it working?  Or should I just re install 2.2.2?

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

neil_zampella

I believe the choice of DEFAULT was removed as many users were not taking the time to turn off system sounds which usually head to the default sound choice, so there were WIndows sounds (as well as other audio) being Tx.

You need to properly select the correct sound inputs.  If it is indeed your computer soundcard (really not recommended) you should insure all  computer sounds are turned off.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 2/3/2021 3:34 PM, Jim Pruitt wrote:
I was decoding using WSJT-X 2.2.2 (64 bit) and today I installed the newest 2.3.0 (64 bit)  When I did WSJTX stopped working.  The waterfall is totally blank (not a single signal showing up despite LOTS of activity on the frequency.  Looking at the configuration had the Audio Soundcard input first as Default device Not found and then it showed it as blank and now it is back to not found. The USB sound card dongle was working with 2.2.2 but is not even seen by 2.3.0 and the dongle is flashing with the audio input.  How do I get it working?  Or should I just re install 2.2.2?

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

Bill Somerville

On 03/02/2021 21:34, Jim Pruitt wrote:
I was decoding using WSJT-X 2.2.2 (64 bit) and today I installed the newest 2.3.0 (64 bit)  When I did WSJTX stopped working.  The waterfall is totally blank (not a single signal showing up despite LOTS of activity on the frequency.  Looking at the configuration had the Audio Soundcard input first as Default device Not found and then it showed it as blank and now it is back to not found. The USB sound card dongle was working with 2.2.2 but is not even seen by 2.3.0 and the dongle is flashing with the audio input.  How do I get it working?  Or should I just re install 2.2.2?

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

Hi Jim,

to try and dissuade users from using the same sound card for WSJT-X and for operating system or other application audio, we no longer offer the default sound card as an option. You must select the sound card that is connected to your rig.

Jim Pruitt

That (plug in USB dongle or the onboard sound card) does not even show up!  The ONLY inputs and outputs listed is my Microsoft USB boom headphone/mic.  No other options appear now.  And I was not using the computer sound card I was using a plug in usb dongle!  I am using a plug in usb dongle soundcard and it was working but no longer an option so exactly what do I do since no sound card now shows up to pick from?

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 2/3/2021 3:07 PM, Bill Somerville wrote:
[...]

Reino Talarmo

Hi Jim,

With earlier versions v1.8.0 or so I had quite often restart also PC in that kind of situations. Also rig needed to be powered up before starting wsjt-x.
Just a wild guess could there be some interaction between automatic rig power on? Which rig you are using and how it is connected to PC?

73, Reino OH3mA

[...]

Karl Beckman WA8NVW - AFA5VB

Working as designed!  The internal and external plug-in sound cards are not supposed to appear in WSJTX if they are set to either DEFAULT or COMM DEFAULT devices.  Adjust your Windows 10 sound settings for each from the Windows Sound control panel to undo those two default settings which broadcasts alert sounds from MS Windows, WSJT, and GridTracker over the air, annoying LOTS of hams.
If you are a senior op like me, it's helpful to rename your WSJT-X sound card dongle to something like "Dongle Tx Out" and "Dongle Rx In."  I also renamed my USB headset as HSTx-Mic and HSRx-Ear.  Here's a clean link:  https://winaero.com/rename-audio-device-windows-10/
--
Karl  WA8NVW  OH
WA8NVW@...