locked Any Faster/Easier Way? #FT8

Ken WB8UFC

I usually run two instances of WSJT-X concurrently (FT8).
I often swap the bands on which each instances is operating in order to swap the (mutually perpendicular) antennas fed by the radios driven by those instances.

For example, I start by running the rig "I" instance on 40M (using an E/W antenna) and the rig "Y" instance on 80M (using a N/S antenna).
After a while, I'll swap and run the rig "Y" instance on 40M (using the N/S antenna) and the rig "I" instance on 80M (using the E/W antenna).

If I want to get the advantage of colors for stations I've worked on each band since each instance was first started, I must rescan the ADIF file (I presume the contents are cached upon startup and maintained in memory for the coloring function).
I do this by pressing F2 (to show the "Settings" dialog) and clicking the "Rescan ADF Log" button on the "Colors" tab.

Other than re-starting each instance whenever I am moving to a band the other instance has worked, is there a better/faster way to keep the colors working properly?

Bill Lederer

Ken:

I don't have an exact solution to what you are asking. What I do with two instances is that I have two tiny computers attached to each their own rig.  Occasionally, I manually produce a master  adi file by combining (concatenating) each individual, and send that back to each of the two computers when wsjtx-x is idle.

I run Intel NUCs (the least expensive ones), but this could be done with even cheaper computers, like the  PI.

w8lvn

--
--w8lvn--

Amos Sobel 4X4MF

Ken

Use JtAlert. It does solve this problem

Amos 4X4MF

[...]

Karza

Ken,

On 2.2.2021 20.12, Ken WB8UFC wrote:
...Other than re-starting each instance whenever I am moving to a band the other instance has worked, is there a better/faster way to keep the colors working properly?
if you are running on Linux or MacOS you can use a symbolic link to use same wsjtx_log.adi for both instances.  ( Perhaps even M$-sh*t can do that... )

73's de Kari, oh2gqc

Bill Somerville

On 03/02/2021 03:36, Karza wrote:
Ken,

On 2.2.2021 20.12, Ken WB8UFC wrote:
...Other than re-starting each instance whenever I am moving to a band the other instance has worked, is there a better/faster way to keep the colors working properly?

if you are running on Linux or MacOS you can use a symbolic link to use same wsjtx_log.adi for both instances.  ( Perhaps even M$-sh*t can do that... )

73's de Kari, oh2gqc

Hi Kari, and Ken,

yes, although not officially supported, you can merge your multiple WSJT-X ADIF log files into one and then make hard links to the one file in each but the first of your WSJT-X instance log file directories. On MS Windows the command to make a hard link (a directory entry that points to a file in another directory, as if he file were in two or more places) use the MKLINK /H command.

Note that using a symbolic link or hard link has two potential drawbacks:

  1. If two instances attempt to write a new log record at exactly the same time, then there is a very small chance one of them may fail with an error.
  2. QSOs logged in one instance will not be reflected in the worked before tables of the other instances until they are re-started, or until the "Settings->Reporting->Rescan ADIF log" button is pressed. This is because the log file is only scanned once at startup to build in-memory high performance indexes, it would not be practical to read the whole ADIF log file for every decode.

Despite these limitations using the arrangement should work reasonably well. Ensure you have a backup of each of your WSJT-X ADIF log files before undertaking the merge and link procedure above.

Ken WB8UFC

Thank you for the responses.
But I think you all answered a question I didn't ask.
I already have a hard link for the log file and all of my instances share that one file.

I have a different issue.
Allow me to simplify and restate:
If I work 40M on Instance A and then switch to working 40M on instance B, the stations I worked on instance A are not colored as having been worked on instance B.

I currently address that problem by re-loading the log file on instance B - either by re-starting that instance or re-scanning the ADF log using the button provided.

I presume this results from a memory cache being used for some log-based functionality and the instances not sharing their cached information.

My question is... is there a faster or better workaround?

Thanks.

Bill Somerville

On 03/02/2021 14:17, Ken WB8UFC wrote:
Thank you for the responses.
But I think you all answered a question I didn't ask.
I already have a hard link for the log file and all of my instances share that one file.

I have a different issue.
Allow me to simplify and restate:
If I work 40M on Instance A and then switch to working 40M on instance B, the stations I worked on instance A are not colored as having been worked on instance B.

I currently address that problem by re-loading the log file on instance B - either by re-starting that instance or re-scanning the ADF log using the button provided.

I presume this results from a memory cache being used for some log-based functionality and the instances not sharing their cached information.

My question is... is there a faster or better workaround?

Thanks.
Hi Ken,

not that I am aware of.

You would get full synchronization by using WSJT-X configurations "Menu->Configurations" to switch a single instance between two or more radios, but that does not allow you to monitor decodes from more than one radio at any time.

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

Each instance has its own settings (.ini) file, you just have to compare the color settings side by side to make sure they're the same.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 2/3/2021 8:17 AM, Ken WB8UFC wrote:

Thank you for the responses.
But I think you all answered a question I didn't ask.
I already have a hard link for the log file and all of my instances share that one file.

I have a different issue.
Allow me to simplify and restate:
If I work 40M on Instance A and then switch to working 40M on instance B, the stations I worked on instance A are not colored as having been worked on instance B.

I currently address that problem by re-loading the log file on instance B - either by re-starting that instance or re-scanning the ADF log using the button provided.

I presume this results from a memory cache being used for some log-based functionality and the instances not sharing their cached information.

My question is... is there a faster or better workaround?

Thanks.

Reino Talarmo

Neil,

His problem is not colors, but how to get adif information from instance A into instance B. There is a common adif file containing all information, but that is read into instance B runtime memory only at start-up or by manually re-scanning adif.

73, Reino OH3mA

[...]

Thanks Bill, I didn't think so but figured I'd ask in case I was overlooking something.

In case it makes any difference in future feature set considerations, I'm not just monitoring multiple bands - I'm actively working them concurrently.
Also experimenting with multiple instances on the same band, FWIW.

Thanks for the response,

Ken M.
WB8UFC

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

Ack ... that's going to be a hard one as, as you say, its maintained in the local instances' memory space.

Neil, KN3ILZ