F/H mode malfunction or operator error? #FoxAndHound

John, K9MM

I am currently using WSJT-X v2.2.2. I updated to this version on 6/26/2020. The computer is running Windows 10 Pro v20H2.

With the dearth of DXpeditions due to Covid-19, it has been months since I last used F/H mode.

Yesterday, J28PJ was using F/H on 17M. When he responded to my call, my transmit frequency stayed above +1000 instead of moving down to his frequency. I was unable to complete the QSO. I was definitely in Hound mode. Later, he was on FT4 and I had a complete QSO.

Last evening, 4U1UN had many calling him on 40M FT8, so he announced he was switching to F/H mode on 7056. He had about a dozen strong callers from NA, SA, and EU, but was making few QSOs and sending many reports repeatedly. After awhile, I stopped calling and just watched what was going on in both even and odd time slots. In many cases, he would give someone a report and they would reply, but their transmit frequency did NOT shift down to his. The QSO would not be completed, and soon the station would be calling him again. Occasionally there would be a QSO attempt where F/H correctly shifted the caller's transmit frequency and the QSO would complete, but this was less common.

Is it possible that there is an F/H incompatibility conflict between v2.2.2 and v2.3.0-rc4? Or are there this many operators who have something wrong in their setup? Strange!

73,

John, K9MM

Bill Somerville

On 30/01/2021 12:34, John, K9MM wrote:
[...]

Hi John,

is your CAT control working correctly?

Jim Shorney

Aside from what is causing the problem, the alert op should notice what is going on and QSY down manually.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 06:34:43 -0600
"John, K9MM" <johnb3030@comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill,

I'm not seeing any problem with my CAT control. I made about 65 QSOs yesterday on FT8 and FT4. The only issue with one of my QSOs was the F/H attempt with the J28.

The issue with 4U1UN was affecting many people other than me.

73,

John, K9MM

John, K9MM

Hi Jim,

No, that is not the way F/H works. It is supposed to QSY you automatically!

73,

John, K9MM

Jim Shorney

Yes, I understand that. But in every test I have done you can QSY manually if need be. In fact I recommend that every op learn how to use the software manually because someday your automation will fail you.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 07:23:15 -0800
"John, K9MM" <johnb3030@comcast.net> wrote:

Hi Jim,

No, that is not the way F/H works. It is supposed to QSY you automatically!

73,

John, K9MM

ve3ki

Perhaps the other stations were not using WSJT-X; maybe they were using MSHV, for example.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 10:23 AM, John, K9MM wrote:
Hi Jim,

No, that is not the way F/H works. It is supposed to QSY you automatically!

73,

John, K9MM

Martin G0HDB

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 01:08 PM, John, K9MM wrote:

Last evening, 4U1UN had many calling him on 40M FT8, so he announced he
was switching to F/H mode on 7056. He had about a dozen strong callers
from NA, SA, and EU, but was making few QSOs and sending many reports
repeatedly. After awhile, I stopped calling and just watched what was
going on in both even and odd time slots. In many cases, he would give
someone a report and they would reply, but their transmit frequency did
NOT shift down to his...
John:

That sounds like the stations calling 4U1UN weren't correctly configured to use Hound mode, with the consequence that their stations wouldn't automatically QSY down to the 4U1UN Fox's Tx frequency when they were called.

It still amazes me how many operators just don't seem to have a grasp on how to chase a Fox using Hound mode - for example, the great numbers of people who call the Fox below 1000Hz and expect the Fox to respond to their calls!

Also, you say that J28PJ was using F/H mode on 17m - if your QSO was on the standard frequency of 18100kHz then it's almost certain that J28PJ was using the MSHV multi-stream variant of WSJT-X and not the genuine F/H mode.  AFAIK the latter prevents its use on the standard frequencies.

--
Martin G0HDB

John, K9MM

Also, you say that J28PJ was using F/H mode on 17m - if your QSO was on the standard frequency of 18100kHz then it's almost certain that J28PJ was using the MSHV multi-stream variant of WSJT-X and not the genuine F/H mode. AFAIK the latter prevents its use on the standard frequencies.

--
Martin G0HDB

I checked my all.txt file. He was on 18095 not 18100.

John, K9MM

Martin G0HDB

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 07:02 PM, John, K9MM wrote:

I checked my all.txt file. He was on 18095 not 18100.

John, K9MM
Ok John, understood.  Sounds like J28PJ was a 'genuine' Fox so I can't explain why your rig didn't QSY down to the Fox's frequency when you were called, unless there was some sort of temporary glitch in your CAT control.  I've never experienced any similar issues with v2.2.2 (or earlier versions) when I've been in Hound mode, although there haven't been many Foxes around recently so the opportunity to use F/H mode has been rather limited!

--
Martin G0HDB

Panos

Hi dear friends, same problem here (v. 2.2.2 - 0d9b96) while answering the same station: J28PJ 17M F/H on January 29 the frequency doesn't dropped down from 1000, few minutes later I called him again and everything worked OK. Strange but looks like is a temporary error. 73 de SV1GRN

Panos

Forgot to mention: rig IC-7300 connected via usb cable to win 10 pc, waiting for the new driver from Icom 73.

neil_zampella

Perhaps I missed something ... did you get a reply the first time or the second?

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 1/31/2021 8:22 AM, Panos wrote:
Forgot to mention: rig IC-7300 connected via usb cable to win 10 pc, waiting for the new driver from Icom 73.

Panos

Got reply in both sessions. In the first I manually added the qso. After reopening WSJT-X in the second all went OK 73