#install #install

James Quick

Hello All and Bill,

I am running macOS Big Sur With wsjtx 2.2.2 and everything works great. Was running wsjtx 2.3.0-rc2 and it worked good. Installed wsjtx 2.3.0-rc3 and kept getting an error. Just installed wsjtx 2.3.0-rc4 and I get the same error as I got with rc3. Need some help real bad. Here is the screenshot of the error with rc4. Thanks for any help or advice.

73

Jim Quick / N4ULE
jimn4ule@...

Bill Somerville

On 25/01/2021 20:56, James Quick wrote:
Hello All and Bill,

I am running macOS Big Sur With wsjtx 2.2.2 and everything works great. Was running wsjtx 2.3.0-rc2 and it worked good. Installed wsjtx 2.3.0-rc3 and kept getting an error. Just installed wsjtx 2.3.0-rc4 and I get the same error as I got with rc3. Need some help real bad. Here is the screenshot of the error with rc4. Thanks for any help or advice.

73

Jim Quick / N4ULE

Hi Jim,

are you getting the same crash report you had before when this occurs?

James Quick

Yes the same report and ask me I would restart and I check yes and it starts and I get the same error.

On Jan 25, 2021, at 4:06 PM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

On 25/01/2021 20:56, James Quick wrote:
Hello All and Bill,

I am running macOS Big Sur With wsjtx 2.2.2 and everything works great. Was running wsjtx 2.3.0-rc2 and it worked good. Installed wsjtx 2.3.0-rc3 and kept getting an error. Just installed wsjtx 2.3.0-rc4 and I get the same error as I got with rc3. Need some help real bad. Here is the screenshot of the error with rc4. Thanks for any help or advice.

73

<Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 3.39.02 PM.png>

Jim Quick / N4ULE

Hi Jim,

are you getting the same crash report you had before when this occurs?

Rob Freedman

Jim,
How do you have your Mac connected to your radio? What radio?  I have iMac and ICOM 7000 and had good results with previous OS. have not cracked the code for Big Sur and have all but given up....

Rob Freedman
720.226.7708
No guts, no Air Medal

On Jan 25, 2021, at 2:29 PM, James Quick <jimn4ule@...> wrote:

Hello All and Bill,

I am running macOS Big Sur With wsjtx 2.2.2 and everything works great. Was running wsjtx 2.3.0-rc2 and it worked good. Installed wsjtx 2.3.0-rc3 and kept getting an error. Just installed wsjtx 2.3.0-rc4 and I get the same error as I got with rc3. Need some help real bad. Here is the screenshot of the error with rc4. Thanks for any help or advice.

73

<Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 3.39.02 PM.png>

Jim Quick / N4ULE
jimn4ule@...

Bill, W8BC

I don't know if this is any help to those who are asking questions about Big Sur, but, just in case, I thought I would throw it out that I have not had any trouble with Big Sur (11.1).  I am using a 16" MacBook Pro (2019), using a Trip Lite 6ft 2.0 Hi-Speed USB cable to my Icom 705. I started with WSJT-X Candidate Release 2.3.0-rc2 last month, moved to rc3 and now rc4. Everything sees to work well.
W8BC

James Quick

I have the USB cable direct to the computer. Thanks for any help.

73
Jim Quick / N4ULE
jimn4ule@...

On Jan 25, 2021, at 4:42 PM, Rob Freedman <rob.freedman@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Rob,

I do not see any prior posts from you with queries about problems with WSJT-X on macOS Big Sur, what is not working for you?

On 25/01/2021 21:40, Rob Freedman wrote:
[...]

Sorry about that. I have joined the list and been following some of the threads to see if I can find the solution.

Here is a summary:

  • Have an iMac that was running Sierra.
  • Was using a microHam USB III interface.
  • After some initial difficulties, I finally got WSTJ-X to connect to my ICOM 7000 and had great success working FT-8. WSTJ-X controlled the transceiver through the USB III interface and all was good.
  • I upgraded to Big Sur (perhaps mistake #1).
  • WSTJ-X would no longer control the transceiver.
  • I loaded the rc3 update of WSTJ-X (which I learned about from the WSTJ groups), still could not get the computer to talk to the ICOM 7000
  • I also went back to FDLI (has USB drivers for Mac) to see if they had new drivers. I did not find anything other than Mac OS 10.XXX. So I reloaded the same drivers and walked through the setup instructions step by step.
  • I went back to the microHam folks and they asked me what Big Sur was (uh oh…), so no help there…
  • Current status:
    • I can hear the FT-8 warble, and see the spectrum signals on WSTJ waterfall.  If I click on someone’s CQ I see my response in the receive window, but there is no transmission.
    • No transmit, and I get the “Hamlib I/O”
    • In WSTJ the radio frequency window is red and shows zeros instead of the frequency to which the radio is tuned (normally the 20m FT-8 freq). Obviously not getting right info through CI/V plug to radio and bac.
    • I cannot pass CAT test
  • I can see the MIcroHam USB interface when I check system status, but it appears that nothing is being exchanged
  • The FDLI driver is listed in the “Extensions” list under software applications, which is the only indication I know about that the driver is loaded.

I am not necessarily tied to the microHam interface devise. If there is a more straightforward way to connect ICOM to Mac, I would love to learn about it.

I am seeking some counsel from someone who has WSTJ-X communicating with an ICOM and how they are interfacing the Mac OS (Big Sur) through the USB to the remote connector on the ICOM, what drivers are involved, and where can they be found. If someone has the same setup I do and it is functioning, then a little counsel on where I have gone off the road.  Maybe I should go back to the 2.2.2 version of WSTJ-X?

73s

Rob Freedman WC0R

Colorado

Text or call: (720) 226-7708

e-mail: rob.freedman@...

From: <main@WSJTX.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...>
Date: Monday, January 25, 2021 at 3:51 PM
To: <main@WSJTX.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] #install

[...]

thanks for the info. What serial port devices if any, do you see in the drop down list in the WSJT-X "Preferences->Radio" panel?

From: <main@WSJTX.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...>
Date: Monday, January 25, 2021 at 3:51 PM
To: <main@WSJTX.groups.io>

Hi Rob,

I do not see any prior posts from you with queries about problems with WSJT-X on macOS Big Sur, what is not working for you?

Rob Freedman

Thanks, Jim for the response.

I have a microHam USB III interface. It is essentially an external sound card. It has several connectors: a serial-like connector that comes fromo back of microHam unit that branches to a USB (to a USB connector at back of iMac; and a “remote” connector that connects to the CI/V (remote) port at the back of the ICOM 7000.  It took a couple iterations to get all that all working, but once I went to Big Sur I could not get control of the transceiver back. I could receive and hear FT-8 warble, and see the waterfall  in WSTJ-X. But I could not transmit via WSTJ as before or pass the CAT test. I have been following this thread to see if there were others who had similar issues. Any ideas would be most helpful.

Regards,

Rob Freedman WC0R

Colorado

Text or call: (720) 226-7708

e-mail: rob.freedman@...

From: <main@WSJTX.groups.io> on behalf of James Quick <jimn4ule@...>
Date: Monday, January 25, 2021 at 3:49 PM
To: <main@wsjtx.groups.io>

[...]

That is VERY helpful! So you have a cable from a USB port in your Mac going directly to the CI/V port of the ICOM?

Rob Freedman

Colorado

Text or call: (720) 226-7708

e-mail: rob.freedman@...

From: <main@WSJTX.groups.io> on behalf of "Bill Combs via groups.io" <wwcombs@...>
Date: Monday, January 25, 2021 at 3:49 PM
To: <main@WSJTX.groups.io>

I don't know if this is any help to those who are asking questions about Big Sur, but, just in case, I thought I would throw it out that I have not had any trouble with Big Sur (11.1).  I am using a 16" MacBook Pro (2019), using a Trip Lite 6ft 2.0 Hi-Speed USB cable to my Icom 705. I started with WSJT-X Candidate Release 2.3.0-rc2 last month, moved to rc3 and now rc4. Everything sees to work well.
W8BC

Rob Freedman

/dev/tty.00-00-00-01-35-ac-Seria

/dev/cu.00-00-00-01-35-ac-Seria

Rob Freedman

Colorado

Text or call: (720) 226-7708

e-mail: rob.freedman@...

From: <main@WSJTX.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...>
Date: Monday, January 25, 2021 at 3:51 PM
To: <main@WSJTX.groups.io>

Hi Rob,

I do not see any prior posts from you with queries about problems with WSJT-X on macOS Big Sur, what is not working for you?

Bill, W8BC

Rob,
Yes, my USB cable goes from the USB port on my Mac to the micro USB port on my IC-705. I installed NO drivers. As I understand it, both Catalina and Big Sur already contain the required drivers for ICOM rigs. The USB port is the CI-V port, but according to the 705 manual it performs other functions:

Use the microUSB (1.1/2.0) type B port for:
• Charging the attached battery pack.
• Outputting decoded RTTY data.
• Outputting a demodulated AF signal or 12 kHz IF

signal.
• Inputting a modulation AF signal.
• Inputting weather data for weather station

transmission.
• Interface for remote control using CI-V commands. • Cloning setting data using the CS-705 software.
• Remotely control using optional RS-BA1.
• Using the External Gateway function.

W8BC

Rob Freedman

Ok. My 7000 has no USB port. It does have a CI/V port, but it is a 3.5mm mini RCA. Kind of old school, I guess. The microHam USB III interface took the USB from Mac and put out signals through a serial connector to the accessory port and the CI/V port on the back of the ICOM. So, I will go back to the USB III interface now that I know there is nothing in Big Sur that should prevent it from passing proper control and audio signals to the radio.  Since you and others have it functioning, I need to be patient and keep chipping away at it.

Appreciate the info.  Thanks!

Rob Freedman
720.226.7708
No guts, no Air Medal

On Jan 25, 2021, at 8:04 PM, Bill Combs via groups.io <wwcombs@...> wrote:

[...]

they don't look like a USB serial port to me. Have you installed the serial port driver for the microHAM device? Not sur eif it is OK for Big Sur but I see a driver for 10.9 or newer here: https://www.microham.com/contents/en-us/d29_downloads.html .

On 26/01/2021 00:47, Rob Freedman wrote:

/dev/tty.00-00-00-01-35-ac-Seria

/dev/cu.00-00-00-01-35-ac-Seria

Rob Freedman

Colorado

Text or call: (720) 226-7708

e-mail: rob.freedman@...

From: <main@WSJTX.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...>
Date: Monday, January 25, 2021 at 3:51 PM
To: <main@WSJTX.groups.io>

Hi Rob,

I do not see any prior posts from you with queries about problems with WSJT-X on macOS Big Sur, what is not working for you?

Rob Freedman

Thanks, Bill.  I will try that. Don’t recall whether I loaded that or not. Their instructions directed me to FTDLI .  As long as there is something else to try, I will keep chipping away. Solving these types of issues is what makes the hobby fun.

I really appreciate the help.
73s,

Rob Freedman
720.226.7708
No guts, no Air Medal

From: <main@WSJTX.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...>
Date: Monday, January 25, 2021 at 3:51 PM
To: <main@WSJTX.groups.io>

Hi Rob,

I do not see any prior posts from you with queries about problems with WSJT-X on macOS Big Sur, what is not working for you?

James Quick

Hello Bill,

I Just installed macOS Catalina on an external SSD drive and installed wsjtx 2.3.0-rc4 and everything works great with Catalina. Restarted macOS Big Sur and ran wsjtx 2.3.0-rc4 and got that crash again. So it has to be something between my computer Big Sur and wsjtx 2.3.0-rc4. I deleted the INI file and the wsjtx folder and started all over and still got the error. Thanks for any help or advice.

73

Jim Quick / N4ULE
jimn4ule@...

Bill Somerville

On 26/01/2021 15:28, James Quick wrote:
Hello Bill,

I Just installed macOS Catalina on an external SSD drive and installed wsjtx 2.3.0-rc4 and everything works great with Catalina. Restarted macOS Big Sur and ran wsjtx 2.3.0-rc4 and got that crash again. So it has to be something between my computer Big Sur and wsjtx 2.3.0-rc4. I deleted the INI file and the wsjtx folder and started all over and still got the error. Thanks for any help or advice.

73
Hi Jim,

sorry for the delay in sorting this issue out. So I can get some more information on what is happening, here is a version of WSJT-X with more debugging information, it should provide more detail in any crash report that gets created.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnh3tnn3kockrls/wsjtx-2.3.0-rc4-Darwin-psk-diags.dmg?dl=1

Also attached is a diagnostic logging configuration file that will turn on tracing for the PSKReporter reporting facility that seems to be involved with prior crashes you have seen. Put the attached file into your ~/Library/Preferences/ directory then run the version above, you can run it directly from the DMG, there's no need to install it. If it crashes then send me the crash report, also there will be a file on your Desktop called WSJT-X.log, send me that too please?

James Quick

Bill,

Inclosed is what I got.

Jim Quick / N4ULE
jimn4ule@gmail.com

On Jan 26, 2021, at 11:39 AM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@classdesign.com> wrote:

[...]

can you try again with this version:

If it doesn't crash then let WSJT-X start up, then quit and send me the WSJT-X.log file from your Desktop again please?

On 26/01/2021 17:31, James Quick wrote:
Bill,

Inclosed is what I got.

Jim Quick / N4ULE