FT8 transmit power starts low and ramps up #txaudio

Steve Masticola

Hi, all,

Whenever I change the band or the rig's transmit power, WSJT-X starts with lower transmit power and ramps it up over three or four transmit cycles. Does anyone have a clue why this is happening? Is it a configuration item?

Rig is a K3, WSJT-X version is 2.2.2.

Thanks and 73,
- Steve WX2S

Jim - N4ST

My K3S does this.  For me, it is a function of the rig, not WSJT-X.

Jim – N4ST

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Masticola
Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2021 20:54
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] FT8 transmit power starts low and ramps up #txaudio

Hi, all,

Whenever I change the band or the rig's transmit power, WSJT-X starts with lower transmit power and ramps it up over three or four transmit cycles. Does anyone have a clue why this is happening? Is it a configuration item?

Thanks and 73,
- Steve WX2S

ve3ki

Setting the audio drive for a K3/K3S is different from other radios. With the K3/K3S's meter set to display "ALC", you should see 4 bars indicated while transmitting. If your audio drive is not sufficient to deliver 4 bars on the ALC meter, the K3/K3S will behave the way you describe, starting out at reduced power output and slowly increasing the power.

On the K3/K3S, the first four bars on the "ALC" meter are below the ALC trigger level. If your audio level is set so that fewer than 4 bars are indicated, the rig's firmware will slowly increase the internal gain in an attempt to make the output power reach the level set by the PWR control.

You need to set the audio input to the radio to deliver four bars on the ALC meter at all times, and use the PWR control to set your output power. Do not use the audio drive level as the method of controlling output power as is often recommended for other radios.

Rich VE3KI

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 11:27 PM, Jim - N4ST wrote:

My K3S does this.  For me, it is a function of the rig, not WSJT-X.

Jim – N4ST

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Masticola
Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2021 20:54
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] FT8 transmit power starts low and ramps up #txaudio

Hi, all,

Thanks and 73,
- Steve WX2S