From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Aaron Scott via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2021 4:07 PM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] Feedback Noise when transmitting #AudioIssues #FT8 #signalink

I have a problem that seems to come and go on its own and I would really like to get it figured out. I am running WSJT-X v2.2.2 on Windows 10. I transceiver is an Elecraft k2 connected to the pc with a SignaLink USB.
Here are the audio settings inWSJT-X
Input: Microphone (USB Audio CODEC)
Output: (USB Audio CODEC)

My PC audio is set to Speakers (USB Audio CODEC)

The problem is that when it goes to transmit, there is a loud audio feedback noise.
I asked this question on the FB group and was told to reinstall the drivers. So I unstalled WSJT-X and reinstalled it with no luck.
I'm pretty much done with FB so I come here.

Aaron Scott <k5atg@...>

Thank you Scott,
I am not using any powered speakers. I have the speaker cord from the SignaLink plugged into the External Speaker port on the rear of the K2.

Bruce

It sounds like it could be RFI getting into you audio cables. Eliminate that by doing a simple test. Reduce your FR power as low as your radio will go and see if you still have the problem. If problem does not exist at that power level, then slowly increase your RF power until the problem returns. Let me know your test results and we will go from there. Please find my direct email below..

73, Bruce, W8HW@...

===================================

On 1/23/2021 5:23 PM, Bruce wrote:

[...]

Bill, WB6JJJ

Also, you have both the radio and your computer using the same audio stream. The computer should not use the USB Audio Codec.

Bill
WB6JJJ

On Jan 23, 2021, at 1:15 PM, Aaron Scott via groups.io <k5atg@...> wrote:

I have a problem that seems to come and go on its own and I would really like to get it figured out. I am running WSJT-X v2.2.2 on Windows 10. I transceiver is an Elecraft k2 connected to the pc with a SignaLink USB.
Here are the audio settings inWSJT-X
Input: Microphone (USB Audio CODEC)
Output: (USB Audio CODEC)

My PC audio is set to Speakers (USB Audio CODEC)

The problem is that when it goes to transmit, there is a loud audio feedback noise.
I asked this question on the FB group and was told to reinstall the drivers. So I unstalled WSJT-X and reinstalled it with no luck.
I'm pretty much done with FB so I come here.

Aaron Scott <k5atg@...>

I put the RF all of the way down and it still had the noise but not as loud. I then slowly turned the RF back up and the noise continued but it did not change in volume.

Hi Aaron. im not sure if you are getting feedback from the the radio or just simply that the audio from the interface is just coming out through the pc speakers. question for you.....have you been able to make any contact? also, are you able to receive on FT8 or any digital mode? could be RFI or it could simply be simply audio getting routed incorrectly.

If you are using usb device for both send and receive what is the purpose of the speaker cable?

Aaron Scott <k5atg@...>

The sound options on my computer are:
Volume Mixer- Speakers (2-High Definition Audio Device)
Volume Mixer- Speakers (2-High Definition Audio Device)
Speakers (USB Audio CODEC)

I tried all three settings and the problem is still there.

D. Scott MacKenzie

I still suspect RFI.  Try some cores around the input/output speaker cables.  Try one at a time.  I had to put cores on my input/output lines to the second sound card, as well as mouse and speakers.  It certainly quiets things down too 😊