locked Feedback Noise when transmitting #AudioIssues #FT8 #signalink

Aaron Scott <k5atg@...>

I have a problem that seems to come and go on its own and I would really like to get it figured out. I am running WSJT-X v2.2.2 on Windows 10. I transceiver is an Elecraft k2 connected to the pc with a SignaLink USB. 
Here are the audio settings inWSJT-X
Input: Microphone (USB Audio CODEC)
Output: (USB Audio CODEC)

My PC audio is set to Speakers (USB Audio CODEC)

The problem is that when it goes to transmit, there is a loud audio feedback noise. 
I asked this question on the FB group and was told to reinstall the drivers. So I unstalled WSJT-X and reinstalled it with no luck. 
I'm pretty much done with FB so I come here. 

D. Scott MacKenzie

You may want to add some ferrite cores to your speaker wires.  I have a similar thing happen, and the addition of cores on the power cable of the powered speakers, and the wire running to the speakers cured it.  I didn’t try to isolate which one it was – just tried both and it worked. 

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Aaron Scott via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2021 4:07 PM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] Feedback Noise when transmitting #AudioIssues #FT8 #signalink

I have a problem that seems to come and go on its own and I would really like to get it figured out. I am running WSJT-X v2.2.2 on Windows 10. I transceiver is an Elecraft k2 connected to the pc with a SignaLink USB. 

The problem is that when it goes to transmit, there is a loud audio feedback noise. 
I asked this question on the FB group and was told to reinstall the drivers. So I unstalled WSJT-X and reinstalled it with no luck. 

Aaron Scott <k5atg@...>

Thank you Scott, 
I am not using any powered speakers. I have the speaker cord from the SignaLink plugged into the External Speaker port on the rear of the K2. 

Bruce

It sounds like it could be RFI getting into you audio cables. Eliminate that by doing a simple test. Reduce your FR power as low as your radio will go and see if you still have the problem. If problem does not exist at that power level, then slowly increase your RF power until the problem returns. Let me know your test results and we will go from there. Please find my direct email below..

73, Bruce, W8HW@...

===================================

On 1/23/2021 4:06 PM, Aaron Scott via groups.io wrote:

Bruce

On 1/23/2021 5:23 PM, Bruce wrote:

It sounds like it could be RFI getting into you audio cables. Eliminate that by doing a simple test. Reduce your FR power as low as your radio will go and see if you still have the problem. If problem does not exist at that power level, then slowly increase your RF power until the problem returns. Let me know your test results and we will go from there. Please find my direct email below..

73, Bruce, W8HW@...

===================================

On 1/23/2021 4:06 PM, Aaron Scott via groups.io wrote:

Bill, WB6JJJ

Also, you have both the radio and your computer using the same audio stream. The computer should not use the USB Audio Codec.

Bill
WB6JJJ

On Jan 23, 2021, at 1:15 PM, Aaron Scott via groups.io <k5atg@...> wrote:

Aaron Scott <k5atg@...>

I put the RF all of the way down and it still had the noise but not as loud. I then slowly turned the RF back up and the noise continued but it did not change in volume. 

Hi Aaron. im not sure if you are getting feedback from the the radio or just simply that the audio from the interface is just coming out through the pc speakers. question for you.....have you been able to make any contact? also, are you able to receive on FT8 or any digital mode? could be RFI or it could simply be simply audio getting routed incorrectly. 

If you are using usb device for both send and receive what is the purpose of the speaker cable?

Aaron Scott <k5atg@...>

The sound options on my computer are:
Volume Mixer- Speakers (2-High Definition Audio Device)
Volume Mixer- Speakers (2-High Definition Audio Device)
Speakers (USB Audio CODEC) 

I tried all three settings and the problem is still there. 

D. Scott MacKenzie

I still suspect RFI.  Try some cores around the input/output speaker cables.  Try one at a time.  I had to put cores on my input/output lines to the second sound card, as well as mouse and speakers.  It certainly quiets things down too 😊

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Aaron Scott via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2021 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Feedback Noise when transmitting #AudioIssues #FT8 #signalink

Thank you Scott, 
I am not using any powered speakers. I have the speaker cord from the SignaLink plugged into the External Speaker port on the rear of the K2. 

Aaron Scott <k5atg@...>

The noise is coming from the speaker in my K2, not the PC speakers. Yes, I am able to receive FT8 signals. Right now 7Z1AL is on 40 meters. No, I have not been able to make a contact. I have a local net to do in a few minutes and after that, I will hook up to a watt meter to see if it is transmitting any power. The speaker cable runs from the K2 to the USB Soundcard. If I unhook the speaker cable I get no signal whatsoever. 

This issue has happened several times in the past but for some reason, I never put it in my equipment logbook. My memory is not so great any more.

Reino Talarmo

Hi Aaron,

What is the purpose of that speaker cord from the Signalink into the External Speaker port on the rear of the K2?

Actually how you have connected Signalink and K2 together?

73, Reino OH3mA

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Aaron Scott via groups.io
Sent: 24. tammikuuta 2021 0:12
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Feedback Noise when transmitting #AudioIssues #FT8 #signalink

Thank you Scott, 

Aaron Scott <k5atg@...>

I have the Signalink connected to the microphone port on the K2 and that cable goes into the radio port on the Signalink. The audio cable plugs into the external speaker port in the rear of the K2. That cable them plugs into the speaker port on the Signalink.  Then a USB cable connects the SignaLink to a usb port on the PC.

The audio cable carries the incoming signal from the K2 to the Signalink which then sends it to the PC. This is the way I have been connecting it for years. If I knew of a way to eliminate the audio cable and still receive the signal, I would do that.

Once again I can’t tell you guys enough how much I appreacheate your help.

‘72

Aaron K5ATG

QRPARCI #16443

GQRP# 16389

4SQRP# 1080

Flying Pig# 3618

Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2021 8:28 AM

Hi Aaron,

What is the purpose of that speaker cord from the Signalink into the External Speaker port on the rear of the K2?

73, Reino OH3mA

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Aaron Scott via groups.io

Thank you Scott, 

John Hill

Aaron,

Your Signalink connections are what I would expect to see.

You mentioned earlier that sound is coming from the K2 speakers.  A trick that I use to eliminate that sound is to plug an empty plug into the PHONES jack on the front of my K3/0 Mini, which you should be able to do on a K2.  I use a spare 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor for that purpose.

This will prevent microphones in your shack from picking up the sound and possibly causing feedback.

John W2HUV

Don Roden

Aren't both of those jacks OUTPUTS ??

Shouldn't a speaker ... plain or powered be involved ?

Don W4DNR

On 2021-01-24 00:58, Reino Talarmo wrote:
Hi Aaron,

What is the purpose of that speaker cord from the Signalink into the
External Speaker port on the rear of the K2?

73, Reino OH3mA

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Aaron Scott via groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Feedback Noise when transmitting #AudioIssues
#FT8 #signalink

Thank you Scott,
I am not using any powered speakers. I have the speaker cord from the
SignaLink plugged into the External Speaker port on the rear of the
K2.

Aaron Scott <k5atg@...>

Hey guys, looks like I got a busy day ahead of me.  As I have said, I have always used the audio cable from the Signalink to the K2. I have done this since 2015 and have made thousands of QSOs on it. On the top right column page 3 of the SignaLink manual, it says:
If the SignaLink is connected to your radio's Mic jack, then check your radio manual to see if the Speaker Audio signal is available there. It is generally labeled as “AF Output”, “Speaker”, or “RX Audio”. If the Speaker Audio signal isn't available on the Mic jack then you will need to connect the supplied audio cable between the SignaLink's SPKR jack and the radio's External Speaker or Headphone jack (a fixed level audio output can also be used with the appropriate user-supplied adapter). Be sure that the cable is plugged in securely on both ends (the plugs should snap in place)
I'm guessing that this is where I got the idea to use the audio cable. 
Looking at Table 2 on page 18 of the K2 SSB Module (Under the column for Kenwood MC-43 microphone which is what I have the K2 set up for) it shows that Mic Pin 1 is labeled as AF which is the Speaker Audio signal source. So even though I have been using the audio cable I shouldn't be needing it. As it is now if I were to unplug the audio cable I lose all of my incoming signals. 

What could be related is that I recently got my K2 back from being repaired. The repairman could not get my Kenwood MC-43S mic to work so he wired the K2 up for his mic.  So I am going to check the mic plug on the K2 to make sure that it is wired like I want it. Then I need to check the jumpers on the SignaLink. Hopefully, along the way I will get the feedback noise taken care of and see if I can get rid of the audio cable. I will update my progress.