#INSTALL #install

James Quick

I am running an iMacOS Big Sur with 16 GB of memory. I could run WSJTX 2.3.0-rc2 with no problems. I am now running 2.2.2 with no trouble. The problem that I have is when I try to install 2.3.0-rc3 I get an error. I will send a screenshot of the error. I sent it to Apple but have not heard anything from them. I am looking for someone with knowledge of the MacOS who might put me on the right track. Thanks for any help or advice.

73

Jim Quick / N4ULE

Bill Somerville

On 20/01/2021 14:17, James Quick wrote:
I am running an iMacOS Big Sur with 16 GB of memory. I could run WSJTX 2.3.0-rc2 with no problems. I am now running 2.2.2 with no trouble. The problem that I have is when I try to install 2.3.0-rc3 I get an error. I will send a screenshot of the error. I sent it to Apple but have not heard anything from them. I am looking for someone with knowledge of the MacOS who might put me on the right track. Thanks for any help or advice.

73

Jim Quick / N4ULE

Hi Jim,

the crash dump you sent to apple was from WSJT-X, they will not do anything with that. I suspect that the crash is not the jt9 subprocess even though that error message says it is. I am investigating how the wrong process might be mentioned as that is probably a clue as to what is going on.

Previously I asked you if there were any crash reports and you said there were not.  Now you seem to have a crash report, albeit from the wsjtx process, is this new behaviour when WSJT-X v2.3.0 RC3 fails to start?

The crash report shows something going wrong in the code that sends spots over the Internet to PSK Reporter, are you using any firewall product other than the standard Apple firewall that is part of macOS?

James Quick

Bill,

The apple firewall is all that I have and I just turned it off to see if that helps. Sorry about the crash report but I do get one each time I try to run it. I am going to try it today with the firewall turned off. Thanks for your help.

73

Jim Quick / N4ULE
jimn4ule@gmail.com

On Jan 20, 2021, at 9:26 AM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@classdesign.com> wrote:

On 20/01/2021 14:17, James Quick wrote:
I am running an iMacOS Big Sur with 16 GB of memory. I could run WSJTX 2.3.0-rc2 with no problems. I am now running 2.2.2 with no trouble. The problem that I have is when I try to install 2.3.0-rc3 I get an error. I will send a screenshot of the error. I sent it to Apple but have not heard anything from them. I am looking for someone with knowledge of the MacOS who might put me on the right track. Thanks for any help or advice.

73

<Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.37.12 AM.png>

Jim Quick / N4ULE
Hi Jim,

the crash dump you sent to apple was from WSJT-X, they will not do anything with that. I suspect that the crash is not the jt9 subprocess even though that error message says it is. I am investigating how the wrong process might be mentioned as that is probably a clue as to what is going on.

Previously I asked you if there were any crash reports and you said there were not. Now you seem to have a crash report, albeit from the wsjtx process, is this new behaviour when WSJT-X v2.3.0 RC3 fails to start?

The crash report shows something going wrong in the code that sends spots over the Internet to PSK Reporter, are you using any firewall product other than the standard Apple firewall that is part of macOS?

James Quick

Bill,

It did the same thing with the firewall turned off.

[...]

John Wiener

This about the shared memory error after upgrading to Big Sur.  I tried to follow directions from this group but no luck.  shmmax is 4194384
How to correct?  I have no idea what any of this means, BTW. :)
John AB8O