Installing New Release Version #install

Bill, W8BC

I am new to WSJT-X, having just started using it a few weeks ago. Because I have an Icom 705 (and Macintosh) I am using Candidate Release 2.3.0-rc2, which expires tomorrow. I wonder what the procedure is for me now? I assume I download the latest Candidate Release. Do I delete the old version from the Applications folder first? Do I go through with the complete install procedure as I did originally? Thanks.
--
Bill
W8BC

Kevin McQuiggin (VE7ZD/KN7Q)

Hi Bill:

I’m a Mac user as well.  Just rename the old WSJT-X application in the Applications folder if you want to keep it (just in case RC3 doesn’t work for you, but it should!), and then drag the new RC3 to the Applications folder.  You don’t have to redo any of the sysctl value changes as nothing in that area changed between RC2 and RC3.

Hope this helps, 73,

Kevin VE7ZD/KN7Q

On Jan 18, 2021, at 8:29 AM, Bill Combs via groups.io <wwcombs@...> wrote:

I am new to WSJT-X, having just started using it a few weeks ago. Because I have an Icom 705 (and Macintosh) I am using Candidate Release 2.3.0-rc2, which expires tomorrow. I wonder what the procedure is for me now? I assume I download the latest Candidate Release. Do I delete the old version from the Applications folder first? Do I go through with the complete install procedure as I did originally? Thanks.
--
Bill
W8BC

K8BL BOB LIDDY

Bill,

Just install the new one and it will take over. Don't delete the old
one first since you'll have to go through and set up your options all
over again if they differ from the defaults.

GL/73,   Bob  K8BL

On Monday, January 18, 2021, 11:30:02 AM EST, Bill Combs via groups.io <wwcombs@...> wrote:

--
Bill
W8BC

Bill, W8BC

Thanks, Kevin and Bob.

Bob, I followed you advice and installed the new Candidate Release without deleting the old one. All is working well. Now that the new version is installed, can I delete the old or do I need to keep it to keep the defaults?
--
Bill
W8BC

Reino Talarmo

Hi Bill,

It depends how you delete the older version. The defaults or settings are in that application data directory you go with “Open log directory” or directly as state in the User Guide 15.1. File locations for Windows, I assume you use it:

·         Settings: %LOCALAPPDATA%\WSJT-X\WSJT-X.ini

·         Log directory: %LOCALAPPDATA%\WSJT-X\

You may remove program using Windows program removal tool. It would not remove the application data information especially WSJT-X.INI file.

73, Reino OH3mA

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Combs via groups.io
Sent: 19. tammikuuta 2021 4:44
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Installing New Release Version #install

Thanks, Kevin and Bob.

Bob, I followed you advice and installed the new Candidate Release without deleting the old one. All is working well. Now that the new version is installed, can I delete the old or do I need to keep it to keep the defaults?
--
Bill
W8BC

Bill, W8BC

No, Reino, I am using a Mac. 
--
Bill
W8BC

Reino Talarmo

Well, I assume that the same directory structure of program and data separation is in use. The User Guide should help.

Good luck.

73, Reino OH3mA

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Combs via groups.io
Sent: 19. tammikuuta 2021 9:46

No, Reino, I am using a Mac. 
--
Bill
W8BC

K8BL BOB LIDDY

Bill W8BC,

I've never deleted anything regarding WSJT-X since the very first
time I installed it more than 3 years ago. The new versions use
various files installed from previous versions which contain options
and info you have selected that personalize your installation. If there
is something that needs deleting, I have assumed the authors have
taken that into account and provided for it during the new installation
process. BTW... Not only have I NOT deleted anything on my own,
but I have not had any of the myriad of problems I read about here
day after day. My WSJT-X just apparently "Takes a licking and keeps
on ticking"! Or, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!"

GL/73,   Bob  K8BL

Sent: 19. tammikuuta 2021 4:44

Thanks, Kevin and Bob.

--
Bill
W8BC

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-