Installation issues under Win 10 #WSJTX_config #install

Jon Mills

HI

I run WSJT-X for Rx-onIy under Win 10. Mainly for WSPR, but occasionally FT8 for  some faster spots. ( Currently the WSPR beacon is stand alone).  The machine uses Windows feature update 20H2 and is patched to a 14 day cycle. PC is is an i7, 8 core unit , 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD.  The PC runs on a Windows domain, logged in at User level.  I am using WSJT-X with sdrUno installed on the same machine, WSPE for CAT control and VB-Audio virtual cables ( both the basic and Hi-Fi versions) for piping the audio.
 I have been having some strange issues with settings etc including failing to get the Band Hopping to work except back in version 2.1.2. After a poke around the filing system it seems like the various versions as updated have been causing issues with the configuration files. The program seemed to be looking at some in the logged-in user  %LOCALAPPDATA%\ directory, and some in the installer  %LOCALAPPDATA%\directory. [ I run the program elevated].  I finally fixed it by completely removing everything I could find and re-installing from scratch using 2.3 rc3.
Can we have some advice please from the dev team on installing and running multiple versions to enable beta testing without removing a working installation, and also on doing full upgrades to try and prevent similar issues going forward.
And secondly a guide, similar to the one Bill provided for TX audio, would be useful for setting Rx audio levels around the system. While my initial installation just worked ( yeah!) after all the fiddling mentioned above I had a lot of trouble in setting it up correctly. This may be in the user guide but I haven't found it.

cheers

Jon

Bill Somerville

On 14/01/2021 13:26, Jon Mills wrote:
[...]

Hi Jon,

do not run WSJT-X with elevated privileges, there's no good reason to do that.

To run multiple instances of WSJT-X concurrently you must use the --rig-name= command line option with unique rig names for each instance, as described in the User Guide, that applies if you are using the same version for each instance of WSJT-X or if you are using different versions of WSJT-X.

For Rx audio levels aim to get a reading of 30 dB on the WSJT-X thermometer style indicator on a quiet band's background noise. Prefer analog level controls to achieve that, as near to the aerial as possible. Digital level controls should be set to 0 dB (FS). So with SDRuno a combination of the SDR RF gain and the VRX volume level are what you need to set the Rx level.

Jon Mills

Thanks Bill

Not sure why it asks for elevation, except that the shortcut properties show the owner as the Administrators group - I may have seen something on line that suggested it should be.  I'll change that. Obviously I have to install it elevated.

I wasn't really wanting to run the instances concurrently, but rather  as tests for new features etc. When upgrading do you recommend a full de- and re, or just installing over the top of the existing version.

I had problems getting any level at all into the program. ( It seemed to be nothing or over the top :( ) I think I am running too high now as I am at about 60 dB.

cheers
JOn

Dave Garber

similar to bill's suggestion, I use the configurations tab, and have 4 radio options set.   when you change into one of them, settings are created and save for that radio

i have my 590sg, my590sg in f/h mode, the ts790s, and used to have a flex as a forth.  the nice way of doing that is only uses one appdata folder, so one wsjtx log adi file, etc

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE