locked How to complete a QSO when both hams have non-standard call sign? #QSO_practices #NewUser #FT8

Sherwin, VE7HQT

Hello,

I use DV9/VE7HQT as my call since my QTH is in the Philippines.

When I answer a CQ of another ham with a non-standard DX prefixed call sign, we were both stuck in a never ending loop since we both could not send the dB signal strengths.

For those who use non-standard call sign, how do you complete your QSOs with another ham who also has a non-standard call sign? I've read the developer's note regarding non-standard calls, but it doesn't offer any advice on this issue.

73,
Sherwin

Reino Talarmo

Hi Shervin,

As you know protocol cannot support that as such. One solution is to use free text messages and only a single call sign e.g. you could receive “VE7HQT R+10“, but both operators need to know what to send and what expect; very few know how. In your case full call sign is possible only for “DV9/VE7HQT 73”. With the same method locator and RR73 can be sent. As you see a good typist is needed and there is no automatic call completion.

73, Reino OH3mA