locked #bugreport Start new decodes at top doesn't always #IssueReport

I run with “Start new period decodes at top”. It doesn’t do this for the first few period decodes until the number of decodes has filled the band activity window. Then the last period decodes overflows the band activity window not displaying the last few decodes.

It’s been like this ever since I started using this feature, and is still present in 2.3.0-rc3. I’ve not bothered reporting it as it only affects the one period’s decodes. Once it has passed this every period decodes gets displayed at the top of the band activity window.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Bill Somerville

On 09/01/2021 07:19, Philip Rose via groups.io wrote:

I run with “Start new period decodes at top”. It doesn’t do this for the first few period decodes until the number of decodes has filled the band activity window. Then the last period decodes overflows the band activity window not displaying the last few decodes.

It’s been like this ever since I started using this feature, and is still present in 2.3.0-rc3. I’ve not bothered reporting it as it only affects the one period’s decodes. Once it has passed this every period decodes gets displayed at the top of the band activity window.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Hi Phil,

the main purpose of "Settings->General->Start new period decodes at top" is to avoid decodes scrolling as they print. Perhaps the name of the option is slightly ambiguous but the result is as intended. BTW to implement initial decodes starting at the top before the view port of the window is filled is very much non-trivial as the scrolling mechanism simply does not work that way, it only allows for scrolling before there are more item rows than the size of the view port. I have never seen a generic scrollable window that does what you require.

So I have a choice between missing the odd decode that doesn’t scroll onto the screen, or a few more that scroll just as I am clicking onto them? In addition to those I misclick due to a bit of a tremor.

Thanks & 73 Phil GM3ZZA.

[...]

Have you tried using the tick box which shows only CQs? I've never even approached the 25 maximum on my screen with that approach.

73
Roger
G#4HZA

Gary - AG0N

On Jan 9, 2021, at 03:42, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

Perhaps the name of the option is slightly ambiguous but the result is as intended.
I’m still on 2.2.2, so this may not be relevant. I also don’t use the feature being discussed here. But, to see what he was talking about, I tried it for a few minutes. There’s one other gotcha with this ‘feature’. With late decodes, sometimes it wipes out a screen. For instance. After a minute or two of monitoring, there was one sequence that produced only three decodes. The last one was on the last decode pass. The result was that the first two popped up on the screen and were almost immediately wiped out and replaced by the one liner from the later decode of the sequence. The other two were gone before being read.

Gary - AG0N

Bill Somerville

On 09/01/2021 16:39, Gary - AG0N wrote:

On Jan 9, 2021, at 03:42, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

Perhaps the name of the option is slightly ambiguous but the result is as intended.
I’m still on 2.2.2, so this may not be relevant.  I also don’t use the feature being discussed here.  But, to see what he was talking about, I tried it for a few minutes.  There’s one other gotcha with this ‘feature’.  With late decodes, sometimes it wipes out a screen.  For instance.  After a minute or two of monitoring, there was one sequence that produced only three decodes.  The last one was on the last decode pass.  The result was that the first two popped up on the screen and were almost immediately wiped out and replaced by the one liner from the later decode of the sequence.  The other two were gone before being read.

Gary - AG0N

Gary,

nothing is being "wiped", the decodes are right there if you scroll them back down.

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

Phil,

There's always third party utilities that will give you a list of decodes ...

Neil, KN3ILZ

[...]

how do you miss decodes that don't scroll onto the view port, there are scroll bar widgets at the side to manually scroll the window if the number of decodes is greater than the height of the view port can accommodate.

[...]

Thanks, Neil. My homebrew logger gets decodes as datagrams, so I could display these, but hey ho it's a couple of missed decodes so maybe not worth it.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

On 9 Jan 2021 18:13, neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:

[...]

I don't have time to move the mouse, scroll it down, decide who to call and double-click on it in the couple of seconds we have. Especially with an essential tremor.
Double-click is a problem if you can't keep your hand still between the clicks.

73 Phil GM3ZZA