Locked WebSDR for wsjtx... #GeneralGroupInfo

JP Tucson, AZ

Are there any WebSDR - Like sites that you could monitor over the web to see what FTx signals are looking like in other places?

Since I only have 1 rig-computer combo, I would like to be able to:

A)  see in real time what is on other bands while using my current band.

B) monitor my own location to review my own signal quality, but more importantly, make sure other's aren't tx'ing over me & vice-versa...

C) be able to monitor while away from home.

D) see what "hearing" is like in other locations.

Thanks

Tom M0LTE

FT8 can be decoded from any web SDR using virtual audio cable type software, of which there are some freebies around. Feed the audio from your browser into the input of the virtual audio cable, and feed the output of the virtual audio cable into the input of WSJT-X. Turn off rig control and pskreporter spotting. Run a second instance/profile of WSJT-X using the instructions in the manual.

Cheers
Tom M0LTE

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 at 16:51, JP Tucson, AZ <samcat88az@...> wrote:
Are there any WebSDR - Like sites that you could monitor over the web to see what FTx signals are looking like in other places?

Since I only have 1 rig-computer combo, I would like to be able to:

A)  see in real time what is on other bands while using my current band.

B) monitor my own location to review my own signal quality, but more importantly, make sure other's aren't tx'ing over me & vice-versa...

C) be able to monitor while away from home.

D) see what "hearing" is like in other locations.

Thanks

Reino Talarmo

Try http://websdr.org/

73, Reino OH3mA

Are there any WebSDR - Like sites that you could monitor over the web to see what FTx signals are looking like in other places?

Since I only have 1 rig-computer combo, I would like to be able to:

A)  see in real time what is on other bands while using my current band.

B) monitor my own location to review my own signal quality, but more importantly, make sure other's aren't tx'ing over me & vice-versa...

C) be able to monitor while away from home.

D) see what "hearing" is like in other locations.

Thanks

JP Tucson, AZ

Hi Tom,

I am aware of that, but I am already using my 1 computer...

I am hoping to find a solution that I can run without a radio over my cellphone browser - no radio, no cables

Every place I've looked says that there is no virtual audio cable for android!

I am really looking for (lack of a better term) an already-decoded "activity window", along with the wide graph.

Kinda like a Flex radio display... (below)

Dial in the frequency, watch the decoded callsigns...

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021, 10:04 AM Tom M0LTE <tom@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi John

You can do this on the same computer, just run two (or more) instances of WSJT-X, two profiles.

Cheers
Tom

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 at 17:32, JP Tucson, AZ <samcat88az@...> wrote:
[...]

Phil Davidson

Hi Reino.  Here are some links to SDR systems.  These links and more on my web site  ..  http://www.maghull-scene.co.uk/radio.htm

http://rsgb.org/main/operating/web-sdr-receiver/

http://www.websdr.org/

http://kiwisdr.com/

For VHF and above try the Southampton site

Regards – Phil (G0DOR)

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Are there any WebSDR - Like sites that you could monitor over the web to see what FTx signals are looking like in other places?

Since I only have 1 rig-computer combo, I would like to be able to:

A)  see in real time what is on other bands while using my current band.

B) monitor my own location to review my own signal quality, but more importantly, make sure other's aren't tx'ing over me & vice-versa...

C) be able to monitor while away from home.

D) see what "hearing" is like in other locations.

Thanks

Amos Sobel 4X4MF

Tom

You made me interested in WebSDR so did try to bring it up. Locating the proper virtual audio cable is difficult. Can you recommend a VAC which will connect to WebSDR on one side and to WSJT-X  Radio/Rig and Audio/Input on the other side?

Amos 4X4MF

[...]

Alan G4ZFQ

Locating the
proper virtual audio cable is difficult.
Amos,

Various ways here. https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/connecting-soundcard-sdr-to-computer/pipe_sound_between_sdr_and_decoder VB Cable is free and should work.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

m_scot_alex

Vincent Burel's VB-Audio Cable is Windows and MacOS only.

VB-Audio VBAN, on the other hand,  is a suite of apps that include Android and iOS endpoints: https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/vban.htm

This could, conceivably, be used as a VAC for feeding an Android app, but this isn't what John - N7GHZ is asking about - he is (and correct me if I'm wrong John) looking for a WSJT-X mode streaming client and I'm pretty sure that there isn't such a thing. There is a RX-only, no-waterfall Android app called WSJT-X monitor that will give a list of decodes (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.feotec.wsjt_xmonitor.ads&hl=en_US&gl=US) and there might be others as well, but this is the only real-time resident decoding app that I'm aware of.

I would be happy to share the streams from my Flex 6700s but those streams will still need to be decoded by a resident application. There is a official iOS app for SmartSDR (https://roskosch.de/smartsdr-features/) but no official Android app: https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/8023447/smartsdr-for-android

73,

Mike - N8MSA

Jim Shorney

There is often a "stereo mix" device available in the hardware. Windows usually disables and hides it by default. Has anyone tried this?

https://thegeekpage.com/stereo-mix/

Disclaimer: I don't use radio applications in Windows. Please don't yell at me if it doesn't work. :)

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 12:38:03 +0000
"Alan G4ZFQ" <alan4alan@...> wrote:

>Locating the
proper virtual audio cable is difficult.
Amos,

Various ways here.
https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/connecting-soundcard-sdr-to-computer/pipe_sound_between_sdr_and_decoder
VB Cable is free and should work.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Bill Somerville

Hi Jim,

where sound card drivers provide a "Stereo Mix" device it can be used but is very limited since all audio sources are mixed together, you cannot easily choose what is looped back to what.

On Windows VB Cable is a free option if you only need one loopback. On Linux pulseaudio can easily be configured with a null-sink device and monitors to build loop back devices. On macOS I'm not sure there is currently a free option without limitations but some cheap tools are available.

One issue with using webSDR receivers is that web browsers tend to only send audio to the system default audio device, that means that system sounds will have to be disabled otherwise they will be fed through the loopback, and of course will not be audible without the accompanying webSDR audio stream.

Another issue is that most webSDRs when listened via a browser will have latency in the audio stream that approaches the point where decoders like the WSJT-X FT8 and FT4 ones are sub-optimal.

"Alan G4ZFQ" <alan4alan@...> wrote:

 >Locating the
proper virtual audio cable is difficult.

Amos,

Various ways here.
https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/connecting-soundcard-sdr-to-computer/pipe_sound_between_sdr_and_decoder
VB Cable is free and should work.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Amos Sobel 4X4MF

Bill

I did install VAC 4.64 lite and later VB Cable. None  of which did show up in the rig list of WSJT-X v2.2.2. Which Virtual Audio Cable is compatible with WSJT-X or how do you bypass this problem?

73’s

Amos 4X4MF

"Alan G4ZFQ" <alan4alan@...> wrote:

 >Locating the
proper virtual audio cable is difficult.

Amos,

Various ways here.
https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/connecting-soundcard-sdr-to-computer/pipe_sound_between_sdr_and_decoder
VB Cable is free and should work.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Lawrence Godek

I use Voicemeeter Banana.  As bill described getting the audio from the Websdr with enough volumne to see it on the screen, well it takes a lot and then, at least in my setup, the display on the end program is still way down visibly.  Using VM Banana in other situations such with my SDRPlay works really well.

W0OGH

[...]

Hi Amos,

both VB Cable and VAC work with MS Windows, I use both daily.

"Alan G4ZFQ" <alan4alan@...> wrote:

 >Locating the
proper virtual audio cable is difficult.

Amos,

Various ways here.
https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/connecting-soundcard-sdr-to-computer/pipe_sound_between_sdr_and_decoder
VB Cable is free and should work.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

JP Tucson, AZ

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info, unfortunately that app only works with wi-fi...  huh?
Why?  I don't get why people do that; write apps that won't work either thru the phone data or wi-fi...

Anyway, I don't have wi-fi access, but do have an unlimited data plan.

Thanks again,

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021, 6:49 AM m_scot_alex <amsctalx@...> wrote:
[...]

John,

if you are referring to WSJT-X Monitor, you didn't say but I will assume that, then it requires access to the UDP messages from a running instance of WSJT-X since it is mirroring the decodes it prints. I am sure it can work over mobile data if you are prepared to open the required UDP port to the Internet on the firewall of your router.

On 08/01/2021 14:49, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:

[...]

Roger

On 08/01/2021 13:49, m_scot_alex wrote:
Vincent Burel's VB-Audio Cable is Windows and MacOS only.
You don't need a virtual cable for Linux. I usually switch the browser audio output to an unused HDMI and switch my application to "monitor of HDMI".

[...]

I am not familiar with the snip you have given below. I expect WSJT-X to accept a VAC as a rig name in it’s  Radio setting as below:

73’s

Amos 4X4MF

"Alan G4ZFQ" <alan4alan@...> wrote:

 >Locating the
proper virtual audio cable is difficult.

Amos,

Various ways here.
https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/connecting-soundcard-sdr-to-computer/pipe_sound_between_sdr_and_decoder
VB Cable is free and should work.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Bill Somerville

Amos,

VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) is a product that allows applications that send and receive audio data to and from physical audio devices to another application instead. The digital equivalent of a second sound card with a looped back audio connection from the first sound card. This is nothing whatsoever to do with CAT control of a rig which is normally done over a serial port. The screen capture I included was from the WSJT-X "Settings->Audio" panel, where audio connections are configured.

"Alan G4ZFQ" <alan4alan@...> wrote:

 >Locating the
proper virtual audio cable is difficult.

Amos,

Various ways here.
https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/connecting-soundcard-sdr-to-computer/pipe_sound_between_sdr_and_decoder
VB Cable is free and should work.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Alan G4ZFQ

Bill,

where sound card drivers provide a "Stereo Mix" device it can be used but is very limited since all audio sources are mixed together, y
Windows 10 has the option to divert a browser's audio to VAC or different soundcard.
Settings "App volume device preferences"

73 Alan G4ZFQ