Missing gridsquare info in the ADI file #logging

Kenneth Williams

I see a problem where about 5% of the entries in my adi file are missing the gridsquare information.
The normal format is "...AANN FT8 ..." but what I see instead is "... FT8 ..." (the gridsquare data count is 0 and the grid of the contact is missing).  The net result is that I sometimes work contacts and grids that I have already worked so it is not disastrous.   Is this a known problem?

I am running V2.2.2 on a Windows 7 machine.

Thanks

Ken
KC6PUQ

Kenneth Williams

Hmm.  If the message I sent looks confusing it is because, although I think that I entered the relevant parts of the ADI file entry, something about this system seems to have eaten the information that was enclosed between the 'less-than' and 'greater-than' signs.  I think that is was treated like an HTML tag or something.

To clarify, an entry in the ADI file looks like ... 'less-than'gridsquare:4'greater-than'AANN ..., what I am seeing is a value of 0 for the gridsquare length value (e.g. gridsquare:0) and the grid info is missing.

I hope that this make better sense now.

Ken

KC6PUQ

Reino Talarmo

Ken,

Have you compared adi file and related ALL.TXT to see whether the grid was actually received at all? Some operators skip Tx1 to save 15 s.

73, Reino OH3mA

I see a problem where about 5% of the entries in my adi file are missing the gridsquare information.
The normal format is "...AANN FT8 ..." but what I see instead is "... FT8 ..." (the gridsquare data count is 0 and the grid of the contact is missing).  The net result is that I sometimes work contacts and grids that I have already worked so it is not disastrous.   Is this a known problem?

I am running V2.2.2 on a Windows 7 machine.

Thanks

Ken
KC6PUQ

Andrea Tommasi

Hello,
I think it's not a problem, but when you call a long call like some SES it don't call with gridsquare and when you call a station during it's RR73 or 73 you don't read also gridsquare, check the grid box and it's empty.
In these cases you need to search grid on QRZ.COM or other log and copy it in the grid box ad hit ADD so next time you call this station WSJT-X have already grid in it's database (file CALL3.TXT) and put it automatically in the grdi box and in the ADIF log file.
These operations must be made before the end of QSO so the grid info appear in the log windows before hit OK otherwise you must add grid info also in the log windows in grid box before hit OK.
Hope this help you.

73 de IK4IDP
Andrea

Il 06/01/2021 02:44, Kenneth Williams ha scritto:
I see a problem where about 5% of the entries in my adi file are missing the gridsquare information.
The normal format is "...AANN FT8 ..." but what I see instead is "... FT8 ..." (the gridsquare data count is 0 and the grid of the contact is missing).  The net result is that I sometimes work contacts and grids that I have already worked so it is not disastrous.   Is this a known problem?

I am running V2.2.2 on a Windows 7 machine.

Thanks

Ken
KC6PUQ

Reino Talarmo

Ken,

The adi file contain the gridsquare tag although no QRA was available for logging i.e. was not received. As you noted in that situation the length is set to 0. That’s why I asked whether QRA was present in all.txt file.

I don’t get what you mean by entering the relevant parts of the ADI file entry. Are you using some other program than wsjt-x fo r that entry?

73, Reino OH3mA

Hmm.  If the message I sent looks confusing it is because, although I think that I entered the relevant parts of the ADI file entry, something about this system seems to have eaten the information that was enclosed between the 'less-than' and 'greater-than' signs.  I think that is was treated like an HTML tag or something.

To clarify, an entry in the ADI file looks like ... 'less-than'gridsquare:4'greater-than'AANN ..., what I am seeing is a value of 0 for the gridsquare length value (e.g. gridsquare:0) and the grid info is missing.

I hope that this make better sense now.

Ken

KC6PUQ

ve3ki

Some people save time by responding to a CQ with the Tx2 signal report message instead of the Tx1 grid square message. When that happens, WSJT-X never receives any grid square information from the other station, so there is no grid square logged. This can also happen if a QSO is started, abandoned or interrupted, and then resumed. Either way, there is no grid square logged. WSJT-X is somewhat idiosyncratic in that it still includes a grdisquare tag in the ADIF file, but with a length of zero. That is logically equivalent to an ADIF record with no grid square field at all. Either way, it's not a bug in the program - it's just a symptom of a QSO where no grid square was received or logged.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 05:43 AM, Kenneth Williams wrote:
Hmm.  If the message I sent looks confusing it is because, although I think that I entered the relevant parts of the ADI file entry, something about this system seems to have eaten the information that was enclosed between the 'less-than' and 'greater-than' signs.  I think that is was treated like an HTML tag or something.

To clarify, an entry in the ADI file looks like ... 'less-than'gridsquare:4'greater-than'AANN ..., what I am seeing is a value of 0 for the gridsquare length value (e.g. gridsquare:0) and the grid info is missing.

I hope that this make better sense now.

Ken

KC6PUQ

Kenneth Williams

Thanks for the replies, and I have a little more info:

The wsjtx.log file is consistent with the adi file so this is good (consistency is always good) and the wsjtx.log file is missing the grid info in the same places as the adi file.

Regarding comparison with the ALL file, I do see some places where the other op called directly so a grid was not transmitted but there are many more cases where the grid was transmitted.  For example, in this exchange with K2JL, my ALL.TXT file shows (omitting all of the other chatter):

(This first entry is a line number from my editor)
\/
866770 210102_101230     7.074 Rx FT8     -7  0.1 2850 CQ K2JL FN22
866799 210102_101245     7.074 Tx FT8      0  0.0 1990 K2JL KC6PUQ CM97  (I call once but they pick up with someone else)
869002 210102_104515     7.074 Tx FT8      0  0.0 1990 K2JL KC6PUQ CM97 (Try again)
869040 210102_104545     7.074 Tx FT8      0  0.0 1990 K2JL KC6PUQ CM97 (again)
869043 210102_104600     7.074 Rx FT8      5  0.1 2446 KC6PUQ K2JL -02
869071 210102_104615     7.074 Tx FT8      0  0.0 1990 K2JL KC6PUQ R+05
869073 210102_104630     7.074 Rx FT8      5  0.2 2446 KC6PUQ K2JL RR73
869102 210102_104645     7.074 Tx FT8      0  0.0 1990 K2JL KC6PUQ 73

And my wsjtx.log file shows
2021-01-02,10:45:45,2021-01-02,10:46:45,K2JL,,7.075990,FT8,+05,-16,30,, (The grid should be right after the call of the other operator)

So, am I the only person experiencing this or am I just the only one to notice this?

What I have failed to do in my haste to move along is to notice if the call was in the callsign box in the logging window.  I will try to be more diligent and check but I may forget.
I would be glad to hear if this has happened to others (take a peek at you log file and look for an entry with missing grid).

For now, I just want to note this item and hopefully get a grasp on the situation in which this occurs.  Maybe it is a bug and maybe not but for sure there have been instances when the operator is sending the grid and, such as this case with K2JL, and it is not getting into the log file.  I definitely remember a case where I saw a Russion operator and called back because the color scheme indicated that it was an un-worked grid.  He responded that we had worked before.  I checked my log and sure enough we had worked before.  With K2JL, I responded to his CQ because he showed up as an un-worked grid.  Just after the QSO, he started calling again and his CQ appeared in orange (un-worked).  That is when I started looking more closely.

Any confirmation of this behavior existing elsewhere would make my mind at ease.

Thanks

Ken
KC6PUQ

Bernd - KB7AK

Hi Kenneth,
I see that too. What I ntoiced is this: If I respond to a CQ call form another station, and that other stations calls CQ with a grid square (which is the standard), then I always see the grid square populated, both in the ADIF file and on the WSJT main screen in the left hand section, lower part under DX info. However, when you respond to a QSO that is in progress, let's say someone is finishing up and sends a RR73 or &#, then that field is sometimes left blank. I am not sure how much data WSJT buffers, but is appear in those cases that WSJT simply doesn't have the info.

If I notice this early enough, I scroll up in the left hand portion and try to find the grid square of my QSO partner, type it into the DX grid field on the main screen, or into the field that is in the popup when the QSO gets logged.

I sometimes also add it manually to the ADI file to avoid working the same station or grid again.

Reino Talarmo

Ken,

That ALL file explains why you don’t have QRA in the ADI file. WSJT-X QSO automata deals with a single call only. More precisely, when you called K2JL third time (again) you started a new call. For that call K2JL did not sent his QRA! In that point human action is needed to complete the logging information. The automata in not an intelligent robot.

73, Reino OH3mA

[...]

OK, thanks.  I completely understand the explanation of "automata is not an intelligent robot" but with the program doing so many other things like automatically filling the log information I guess that I let myself expect too much.  Most importantly, I now have a better understanding of the boundaries of the program. I am happy to do a little work by myself such as filling in the grid information.

Ken
KC6PUQ