locked WSJT-X on Raspberry Pi setup

Georgina Joyce

Hello All,

I installed WSJT-X on a Raspberry Pi 400 as I wanted to see if orca screen reader could enable me to navigate the interface. I am glad to say I have been able to set my call and grid. Set my TS-590SG cat control and match the settings I use on Windows. I was also able to select the message macro for calling CQ with my call and grid. So it is the audio settings next. I wondered if I could do this from the command line? I have used aumix and alsa before but down't know how to address the sound card device. I see from lsusb there was a lot of information regarding the TS-590SG connection. Any help on getting this set up would be appreciated, more driven by the terminal the better.

Thanks,

Georgina

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259
Allstar: 52178
Locater: IO83PS

Bill Somerville

On 04/01/2021 22:43, Georgina Joyce wrote:
Hello All,

I installed WSJT-X on a Raspberry Pi 400 as I wanted to see if orca screen reader could enable me to navigate the interface. I am glad to say I have been able to set my call and grid. Set my TS-590SG cat control and match the settings I use on Windows. I was also able to select the message macro for calling CQ with my call and grid. So it is the audio settings next. I wondered if I could do this from the command line? I have used aumix and alsa before but down't know how to address the sound card device. I see from lsusb there was a lot of information regarding the TS-590SG connection. Any help on getting this set up would be appreciated, more driven by the terminal the better.

Thanks,

Georgina

Hi Georgina,

you may find the pavucontrol application useful, it is a GUI but is reasonably simple, but I don't know how well it plays with screen readers. It has its own package:

sudo apt install pavucontrol

Georgina Joyce

Hello Bill,

73Thank you I shall check it out.

On 4 Jan 2021, at 22:47, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

[...]

Miguel, EA4BAS

Georgina, please visit
https://hamprojects.wordpress.com/2020/09/06/raspberry-pi-for-ham-radio/#mor
e-1646 RPI part2 .....

GL
73
Miguel, EA4BAS

Joyce Enviado el: lunes, 4 de enero de 2021 23:44
Para: WSJTX@groups.io

[...]

Ken Arck AH6LE

While I don't always use it with a Pi3, my 7300 and WSJT-x work great on it

Ken

Sorry Geogina,

Para: WSJTX@groups.io

[...]

President and CTO - Arcom Controllers
Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
https://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave.
We offer complete turn-key repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net
"We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"
[]

Ronald Wolenski

The new version of Raspberry Pi OS now uses Pulse Audio for sound.  Install the pavucontrol application to control the sound settings.
sudo apt-get install pavucontrol

Georgina Joyce

Hello,

Regrettably, it appears it is a GTK application. I want to see if it has a command line interface. While graphical interfaces suit and are appreciated by most people. All that computer power is wasted on me as I can't see it. I have no idea what part of the screen requires attention. Whereas, in the terminal it is a simple prompt at the bottom.

In addition, some screen readers experience conflicts with pulse audio. While Orca works with it. Orca is a screen reader for the GUI. As stated it would be nice to avoid using the GUI for some tasks, especially, as I am talking about a Pi which has limited resources. I have used several command line mixers as stated. I was just confused over what audio interface the Silicon Lads generates to feed the 590SG.

Thats all.