locked WSJT-X v2.2.2 and Xiegu G90

Steven Reich

I just purchased a Xiegu G90 and got it working in FT8/FT4 with WSJT-X. In WSJT-X I see other stations calling CQ and I can make connections with other stations. According to the other stations my signal strength is MUCH lower than theirs. If I see someone calling CQ at +8dB when they reply they say my signal is something like -19dB. At first I thought it was just due to the G90 having 20Watts max output. However I just noticed that the mode is USB when receiving, but the G90 switches to LSB when transmitting. I do not see this behavior with my Icom IC-7300. I'm wondering if this is why my signal reports are so low.

Is this normal for the G90, or do I have something setup wrong in WSJT-X, or possibly with the G90?

Thanks, Steve WI9SSR

M0PWX

Hi Steve

yes it can be normal depending on the antenna you are using

there is a specific G90 group on groups io, main@XieguG90.groups.io | Messages  it has lots of info about digimode setup etc

my G90 is limited by my fan dipole fixed to my fence, so i mainly work EU, but when conditions are right i can get NA, SA and asia

when transmitting does it show the correct power level on the diaplay? if less than expected check the volume of sound card out or the line in level

also use psk reporter to see where you are getting to / who can hear you https://www.pskreporter.info/pskmap.html?preset&callsign=WI9SSR&timerange=900&obscure=0.2&distunit=miles&hideunrec=1&blankifnone=1&hidelight=1 you can then compare who can hear you (and how well) with who you can hear and have more sucess on ft8 / ft4

hope those pointers help

Peter

2E0PWX

On Sun, 03/01/2021 06:15, Steven Reich wrote:
I just purchased a Xiegu G90 and got it working in FT8/FT4 with WSJT-X. In WSJT-X I see other stations calling CQ and I can make connections with other stations. According to the other stations my signal strength is MUCH lower than theirs. If I see someone calling CQ at +8dB when they reply they say my signal is something like -19dB. At first I thought it was just due to the G90 having 20Watts max output. However I just noticed that the mode is USB when receiving, but the G90 switches to LSB when transmitting. I do not see this behavior with my Icom IC-7300. I'm wondering if this is why my signal reports are so low.

Is this normal for the G90, or do I have something setup wrong in WSJT-X, or possibly with the G90?

Thanks, Steve WI9SSR

This email has been scanned by iomartcloud.
http://www.iomartcloud.com

bill.neuro

My 2 cents worth . . .

What software are you using for rig control. For example, I use Ham Radio Deluxe with my Yaesu FTdx3000.
(But, of course, HRD does not support the Xiegu.)

The first place I would look is the rig control software.

Bill K1NS

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device