locked WSJT-X on Raspeberry Pi: Rig Control Woes

dpsm64@...

Hi, I'm fairly new to WSJT-X, but I have gotten it up and running on my Ubuntu desktop with my IC-7200. I built a Raspberry Pi to use specifically for digital modes using KM4ACK's Build-a-Pi v3. I've tried about everything I can think of to get WSJT-X talking to my rig over USB, but no dice. I'm using /dev/ttyUSB0, same serial settings that worked when I ran WSJT-X on my Ubuntu machine, but all I get is a dialog saying "Rig Failure Hamlib error: IO error when opening connection to rig."

I double checked group membership - /dev/ttyUSB0 is in the dialout group, as is the user I'm logged in as (pi). When I use rigctl from the command line to test hamlib, this is what I get:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ rigctl -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -m 361
rig_open: error = IO error

Curiously, when I sudo that same command, rigctl prompts me for a rig command. But if I type "f", for instance, I just get "get_freq: error = Communication bus error". I've tried rigctl both ways with verbose logging, too, and it appears rigctl is sending and receiving something, but it's not liking what it's seeing. Here's the log when I start rigctl with sudo:

Rig command: f
rig_get_freq called
icom_get_freq called
serial_flush called
write_block called
write_block(): TX 6 bytes
0000    fe fe 76 e0 03 fd                                   ..v...          
read_string called
read_string(): RX 5 characters
0000    fe fe 76 e0 03                                      ..v..           
read_string called
read_string(): Timed out 1.1058 seconds after 0 chars
serial_flush called
write_block called
read_string called
0000    fe                                                  .               
read_string(): read() failed - Resource temporarily unavailable
serial_flush called
write_block called
read_string called
read_string(): Timed out 1.1038 seconds after 0 chars
serial_flush called
write_block called
read_string called
get_freq: error = IO error

I get similar treatment trying flrig for rig control -- just a dialog saying "Transceiver not responding" on /dev/ttyUSB0

This seems like something really basic that I'm missing. Has anyone seen this before? WSJT-X 2.2.2 and Hamlib 3.3 on an 8 GB Raspberry Pi 4 with Raspbian Buster, btw.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

Bill Somerville

On 31/12/2020 17:59, dpsm64@... wrote:
Hi, I'm fairly new to WSJT-X, but I have gotten it up and running on my Ubuntu desktop with my IC-7200. I built a Raspberry Pi to use specifically for digital modes using KM4ACK's Build-a-Pi v3. I've tried about everything I can think of to get WSJT-X talking to my rig over USB, but no dice. I'm using /dev/ttyUSB0, same serial settings that worked when I ran WSJT-X on my Ubuntu machine, but all I get is a dialog saying "Rig Failure Hamlib error: IO error when opening connection to rig."

I double checked group membership - /dev/ttyUSB0 is in the dialout group, as is the user I'm logged in as (pi). When I use rigctl from the command line to test hamlib, this is what I get:

Curiously, when I sudo that same command, rigctl prompts me for a rig command. But if I type "f", for instance, I just get "get_freq: error = Communication bus error". I've tried rigctl both ways with verbose logging, too, and it appears rigctl is sending and receiving something, but it's not liking what it's seeing. Here's the log when I start rigctl with sudo:

rig_get_freq called
icom_get_freq called
serial_flush called
write_block called
read_string called
read_string called
serial_flush called
write_block called
read_string called
serial_flush called
write_block called
read_string called
serial_flush called
write_block called
read_string called

I get similar treatment trying flrig for rig control -- just a dialog saying "Transceiver not responding" on /dev/ttyUSB0

This seems like something really basic that I'm missing. Has anyone seen this before? WSJT-X 2.2.2 and Hamlib 3.3 on an 8 GB Raspberry Pi 4 with Raspbian Buster, btw.

Hi OM,

have you added your user id to the dialout group?

sudo adduse $USER dialout

then log out and back in (log out the whole desktop session, not just the terminal), reboot if you are not sure how to do that.

Bill
G4WJS.

dpsm64@...

Yes, that was the first thing I checked. /dev/ttyUSB0 is in the dialout group, as is the user pi. I've logged in and out and rebooted several times with no change.

Karza

On 31.12.2020 23.51, Bill Somerville wrote:
sudo adduse $USER dialout
That's > sudo adduser $USER dialout

'Kari, oh2gqc

Roger

On 31/12/2020 17:59, dpsm64@... wrote:
Hi, I'm fairly new to WSJT-X, but I have gotten it up and running on my Ubuntu desktop with my IC-7200. I built a Raspberry Pi to use specifically for digital modes using KM4ACK's Build-a-Pi v3 ( https://github.com/km4ack/pi-build ). I've tried about everything I can think of to get WSJT-X talking to my rig over USB, but no dice. I'm using /dev/ttyUSB0, same serial settings that worked when I ran WSJT-X on my Ubuntu machine, but all I get is a dialog saying "Rig Failure Hamlib error: IO error when opening connection to rig."
rig_get_freq called
icom_get_freq called
serial_flush called
write_block called
read_string called
read_string called
serial_flush called
write_block called
read_string called
serial_flush called
write_block called
read_string called
serial_flush called
write_block called
read_string called
Hi OM

Have you added yourself to the "dialout" group?

73 and happy new year
Roge
G#4HZA

Karza

Hi there,

On 31.12.2020 19.59, dpsm64@... wrote:

1) Have you tried to specify the serial baudrate with the "-s" command line option?

2) Have you considered compiling WSJT-X from the source-tarball?

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-2.2.2.tgz

That way you would get WSJT-X with statically linked Hamlib.

If you do this, then please note that the model number for IC-7200 is 3061.

About a year ago I compiled WSJT-X on Pi 4 from source tarball and it worked fine.

73's & HNY de Kari, oh2gqc

Joel

If you can get into the settings tabs for WSJT-x make certain the baud rate matches that of the RPi serial/usb cable as well as that of the radio..... I’m using a Pi to run an Elecraft KX2. The radio settings match the WSJT-x in setup.....

Good luck
Joel

On Dec 31, 2020, at 4:46 PM, dpsm64@... wrote:

rig_get_freq called
icom_get_freq called
serial_flush called
write_block called
read_string called
read_string called
serial_flush called
write_block called
read_string called
serial_flush called
write_block called
read_string called
serial_flush called
write_block called
read_string called

chmims@...

You might try using /dev/serial0 or serial1. 

charles
kg5zlh

Marius Lubbe ZS1ML

I have finally got something to work on the pi. Like me, I assume you overclocked your pi. This time I dis a clen install of twister, overclocked to 2147 and instead of voltage at 6, I set it at 8. I suspect that the USB bus was not getting enough power and so althogh we selected the right bus, it could not cope with the demand. Try it and let me know. Good luck, Marius ZS1ML Cape Town South Africa