locked USB Audio CODEC

kelvin348@btinternet.com <kelvin348@...>

Hi,

I thought it is about time I tried out Digital Modes.

I’m trying to set up WSJTX for the first time.

I’m using an Icom IC-756 Pro and HRD. I have tested the CAT connection and transmit and all ok.

My problem appears to be setting up the sound card.

In device manager I don’t have USB Audio codec in the drop down list for the sound card.

My question is, can VB Cable be used instead of USB Audio cable?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Kelvin 2E0HJE

Roger

On 27/12/2020 15:05, kelvin348@... via groups.io wrote:
Hi,
I thought it is about time I tried out Digital Modes.
I'm trying to set up WSJTX for the first time.
I'm using an Icom IC-756 Pro and HRD. I have tested the CAT connection and
transmit and all ok.
My problem appears to be setting up the sound card.
In device manager I don't have USB Audio codec in the drop down list for the
sound card.
My question is, can VB Cable be used instead of USB Audio cable?
Any other suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Kelvin 2E0HJE
Kelvin

You don't say what operating system you are using but I assume it is windows? Have you followed the manufacturer's instructions to download and install the USB audio driver?

73
Roger
G#4HZA

Robert Bencsko

I don't think you can directly connect to a 756 like you can with the newer radios

This may help

On 12/27/2020 7:05 AM kelvin348@... via groups.io <kelvin348@...> wrote:

Hi,

I thought it is about time I tried out Digital Modes.

I’m trying to set up WSJTX for the first time.

I’m using an Icom IC-756 Pro and HRD. I have tested the CAT connection and transmit and all ok.

My problem appears to be setting up the sound card.

In device manager I don’t have USB Audio codec in the drop down list for the sound card.

My question is, can VB Cable be used instead of USB Audio cable?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Kelvin 2E0HJE

Bob Bencsko - W7AMC

Las Vegas, NV  DM26

kelvin348@btinternet.com <kelvin348@...>

Hi Roger,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm using Windows 10.
I don't have any drivers to install. I am not sure if there is are drivers
for the 756 Pro, it might be a bit old.
I have an IC-R2500 receiver which when I turn it on shows a USB Audio Codec
in the Device manager, however as soon as I turn it off it disappears.
Do you think I might need to invest in a Signalink?

I thought it is about time I tried out Digital Modes.

I'm trying to set up WSJTX for the first time.

I'm using an Icom IC-756 Pro and HRD. I have tested the CAT connection
and transmit and all ok.

My problem appears to be setting up the sound card.

In device manager I don't have USB Audio codec in the drop down list
for the sound card.

My question is, can VB Cable be used instead of USB Audio cable?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Kelvin 2E0HJE
Kelvin

You don't say what operating system you are using but I assume it is
windows? Have you followed the manufacturer's instructions to download and
install the USB audio driver?

73
Roger
G#4HZA

neil_zampella

You don't need to 'invest' in a Signalink, you'd probably do better with an inexpensive USB soundcard.  However you haven't said how you're interfacing the rig with the computer, that would help with advice.   That said, have you looked at the interface cables from xggcomms.com, they're based in the UK.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 12/27/2020 10:31 AM, kelvin348@... via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Monty Wilson, NR0A

The 756Pro does not have built in Audio Codex.  You will need an external sound card (SignalLink, TimeWave, etc).  Or it is possible to direct connect your computer sound card directly to the 756 with a homemade interface circuit.  I personally do not recommend the direct connection since you will need to be careful to disable all computer sounds on your computer and it will not be available for other uses whenever you are using a digital mode.

When I was using my 756Pro, I used the SignalLink USB.  I also got the cables so I could connect the SignalLink into the accessory ports on the back of the radio.

Welcome to the digital world.  Explore, have fun!

Monty

NR0A

I thought it is about time I tried out Digital Modes.

I’m trying to set up WSJTX for the first time.

I’m using an Icom IC-756 Pro and HRD. I have tested the CAT connection and transmit and all ok.

My problem appears to be setting up the sound card.

In device manager I don’t have USB Audio codec in the drop down list for the sound card.

My question is, can VB Cable be used instead of USB Audio cable?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Kelvin 2E0HJE

Ed W2LCQ

The 756 Pro does not have a built in sound card. I upgraded from a 756 Pro III to a 7300 which has a built in sound card. I’m doing WSJT-X and RTTY with a single USB cable using AFSK. If you acquire a modern radio be sure to download the driver before plugging in the USB cable. Windows does not like to see a cable before the driver is installed. Creates problems. Not sure how to do digital with a 756 series radio.

73 de W2LCQ, Ed Jones

Frankford Radio Club
BUG 204 - TBDXC 1337 - CWops (Life) 701 - SKCC 5474T - FISTS 12294 - QCWA 33438 - LICWC (Life) 51 - ARRL - New York County (Manhattan) FN30AT DXCC WAS

The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.” ...Nicola Tesla

[...]

D. Scott MacKenzie

I have a 756Pro and have been doing digital and other sound card formats for 30+ years.  Use your regular sound card, or an external one.  I use an external one now.  I am also using the CAT control.  I take audio out from the sound card to the 756 microphone, and take the earphones to the mic input.  Nothing fancy but it works

I thought it is about time I tried out Digital Modes.

I’m trying to set up WSJTX for the first time.

I’m using an Icom IC-756 Pro and HRD. I have tested the CAT connection and transmit and all ok.

My problem appears to be setting up the sound card.

In device manager I don’t have USB Audio codec in the drop down list for the sound card.

My question is, can VB Cable be used instead of USB Audio cable?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Kelvin 2E0HJE

Arnold Lausevich <nk9o@...>

I use a  navigator interface with my 756.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy , an AT&T LTE smartphone

I thought it is about time I tried out Digital Modes.

I’m trying to set up WSJTX for the first time.

I’m using an Icom IC-756 Pro and HRD. I have tested the CAT connection and transmit and all ok.

My problem appears to be setting up the sound card.

In device manager I don’t have USB Audio codec in the drop down list for the sound card.

My question is, can VB Cable be used instead of USB Audio cable?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Kelvin 2E0HJE

kelvin348@btinternet.com <kelvin348@...>

Hi Monty,

This is great advice. I’m going to call my ham radio store in the morning.

I’m very much looking forward to making my first FT8 qso.

Compliments of the season to you and your family.

Kelvin

I thought it is about time I tried out Digital Modes.

I’m trying to set up WSJTX for the first time.

I’m using an Icom IC-756 Pro and HRD. I have tested the CAT connection and transmit and all ok.

My problem appears to be setting up the sound card.

In device manager I don’t have USB Audio codec in the drop down list for the sound card.

My question is, can VB Cable be used instead of USB Audio cable?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Kelvin 2E0HJE

Kai-KE4PT

Just be sure that you have a way of doing PTT. The Signalink is designed to do PTT, an inexpensive USB sound card might not support PTT. Download manual for Signalink USB to see what I mean. The Signalink require just one connection to the computer (a USB connection) and one cable to the 756 Pro. Simplicity!
Kindest regards,
Kai, KE4PT

On 12/27/2020 12:40, neil_zampella wrote:

[...]

The CAT for the 756 Pro does PTT.  At worse, you do VOX.  No reason to by a Signalink…

I thought it is about time I tried out Digital Modes.

I'm trying to set up WSJTX for the first time.

I'm using an Icom IC-756 Pro and HRD. I have tested the CAT connection
and transmit and all ok.

My problem appears to be setting up the sound card.

In device manager I don't have USB Audio codec in the drop down list
for the sound card.

My question is, can VB Cable be used instead of USB Audio cable?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Kelvin 2E0HJE
Kelvin

You don't say what operating system you are using but I assume it is
windows?  Have you followed the manufacturer's instructions to download and
install the USB audio driver?

73
Roger
G#4HZA

Bill Somerville

On 27/12/2020 15:05, kelvin348@... via groups.io wrote:

Hi,

I thought it is about time I tried out Digital Modes.

I’m trying to set up WSJTX for the first time.

I’m using an Icom IC-756 Pro and HRD. I have tested the CAT connection and transmit and all ok.

My problem appears to be setting up the sound card.

In device manager I don’t have USB Audio codec in the drop down list for the sound card.

My question is, can VB Cable be used instead of USB Audio cable?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Kelvin 2E0HJE

Hi Kelvin,

the IC-756 series of rigs have Rx audio and Tx audio connections on the rear ACC socket. It sounds like you already have a CI-V CAT interface of some sort allowing HRD to control your rig, that's fine. A basic USB external sound card and a bit of basic hook-up wiring is all you need to complete the setup. A sound card for a few pounds is all you need, nothing fancy is required. The sound card will normally have LINE IN and LINE OUT sockets (3.5 mm). Make up a pair of screened audio leads with the right jacks and wired into a 13-pin DIN plug according to the rig User Manual instructions for audio connections.

VB Cable is a digital audio loopback application that allows the output of one application generating audio to be connected to another expecting audio. That is not what you need when you have a physical device like a transceiver.

73
Bil
G4WJS.

Robert Lorenzini

There are good reasons not to use a Signalink. Google.

Bob - wd6dod

On 12/27/2020 1:43 PM, D. Scott MacKenzie wrote:

[...]

Don Roden

Maybe for the 756Pro, but for LOTS of radios, the SignaLink represents a simple solution for FT8. Some rigs use CAT to turn on the front microphone which defeats the rear digital mode audio. Some do ..... Some dont.
DOn W4DNR

Quoting "D. Scott MacKenzie" <kb0fhp@...>:

[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

1) there are much better interfaces than Signalink at not much more
money.

2) If one wants to use an inexpensive sound card, it is very easy
to build a one resistor, one transistor PTT circuit driven by the
computer serial port used for the CAT connection *IF* the transceiver
is one that requires a separate hardware PTT signal to select the
"Line" input on transmit.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

I thought it is about time I tried out Digital Modes.

I'm trying to set up WSJTX for the first time.

I'm using an Icom IC-756 Pro and HRD. I have tested the CAT connection
and transmit and all ok.

My problem appears to be setting up the sound card.

In device manager I don't have USB Audio codec in the drop down list
for the sound card.

My question is, can VB Cable be used instead of USB Audio cable?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Kelvin 2E0HJE

Kelvin

You don't say what operating system you are using but I assume it is
windows?  Have you followed the manufacturer's instructions to download and
install the USB audio driver?

73
Roger
G#4HZA

Ria, N2RJ

I had one and the noise floor was very high. There are mods but I’ve never tried it.

73
Ria
N2RJ

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 7:53 PM Don Roden <donroden@...> wrote:
Maybe for the 756Pro, but for LOTS of radios, the SignaLink represents
a simple solution for FT8.    Some rigs use CAT to turn on the front
microphone which defeats the rear digital mode audio.   Some do .....
Some dont.
DOn W4DNR

Quoting "D. Scott MacKenzie" <kb0fhp@...>:

> The CAT for the 756 Pro does PTT.  At worse, you do VOX.  No reason to by a
> Signalink.

Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...>

Later models have that resolved.

Bob, K4TAX

On Dec 27, 2020, at 7:58 PM, Ria, N2RJ <rjairam@...> wrote:

I had one and the noise floor was very high. There are mods but I’ve never tried it.

73
Ria
N2RJ
On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 7:53 PM Don Roden <donroden@...> wrote:
Maybe for the 756Pro, but for LOTS of radios, the SignaLink represents
a simple solution for FT8.    Some rigs use CAT to turn on the front
microphone which defeats the rear digital mode audio.   Some do .....
Some dont.
DOn W4DNR

Quoting "D. Scott MacKenzie" <kb0fhp@...>:

> The CAT for the 756 Pro does PTT.  At worse, you do VOX.  No reason to by a
> Signalink.

Martin G0HDB

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 01:07 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
1) there are much better interfaces than Signalink at not much more
money.
There are some interface devices, eg. the G4ZLP DigiMaster DataLInk, that are functionally almost equivalent to the SignaLink-USB and not only have much better LF noise performance but also are considerably cheaper than the SL-USB.

2) If one wants to use an inexpensive sound card, it is very easy
to build a one resistor, one transistor PTT circuit driven by the
computer serial port used for the CAT connection *IF* the transceiver
is one that requires a separate hardware PTT signal to select the
"Line" input on transmit.
Almost any USB soundcard 'dongle' will perform better than the SL-USB - my tests a few years ago showed that a $10 UGreen dongle had 20dB less LF noise than an SL-USB - and if anyone prefers to have analogue pots to tweak to adjust Tx and Rx audio levels then a combination of a cheap USB dongle and one of the G3LIV interface units, eg. the Isoterm Multicon USB, will provide essentially the same capabilities as, and better performance than, an SL-USB.  Like the SL-USB, the G3LIV interfaces generate a 'hardware' PTT signal so there's no need for any additional external circuitry.

IMO of course...

--
Martin G0HDB

Ria, N2RJ

I got a Flex in 2016 so I've not had to use a sound card interface
since then. Good to know that Tigertronics has resolved the issue.

Ria
N2RJ