locked Thanks Again for the input


MARTIN LAMPNER
 

Chris, I found that once an app has used the Com Port via USB, even if you exit the program it does not always release the Com Port. The error is telling you the port i not available. The fix while a nuisance is unfortunately to reboot the machine if this is what is causing it. My guess is RT did not disconnect from the USB connection on exit. A reboot cures that. 

Dan nothing to apologize about. Yes the 991A and I assume the 991 actually opens to com ports via the USB cable. When using HRD’s Rig control as the “radio” in WSJT you get a choice PPT called CAT and I assume that it instructs WSJT to use the second port for sound. I do know the audio is getting to WSJT as the audio meter on the left of the screen show level and responds if I raise or lower the volume on the 991A.  

I’m actually using the NIST.GOV clock as my time server, assuming the time.is website is accurate then my clock in the PC is accurate to within 7/10s of a second so I am  fairly confident time sync is good. I could improve on it. Windows 10 calls the time server once a day, but you can edit the Registry and instruct it to do it more frequently. I’m always hesitant to mess in the registry but if I wanted to improve the accuracy of time keeping having it do it four times a day but I don’t think that is going to be needed. I know my PC calls for time at 9:38PM and resets then. If when I checked it about half an hour ago it was only 7 10ths behind It should be no more than .085 behind at reset. 

I do have some concern about how good Time.Is is just because the net itself can induce time loss. Not sure how it compensates for that. As I mentioned I really loved my old radio based time check system but it was when I had the company buy it about $800. But it theoretically was going to be off by know more than .001 seconds from WWV, anywhere in North America and less than that most places. 

Still struggling with getting this to work right but one thing being retired and being careful about COVID is provide time to play with this. 

On Dec 25, 2020, at 6:59 PM, d_ziolkowski <dan.ziolkowski@...> wrote:

sorry I misspoke, I thought from reading the specs of the 991 that an SCU17 was required. Reading it again, the SCU17 is integrated into the unit. 

Perhaps then also probably gives HRD the ability to adjust the SCU17? 

My apologies 

Dan KC2STA

On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 6:19 PM Mike Koralewski K8VA <k8va@...> wrote:
I disagree.. It is perfectly "best" to use the direct USB on the rig, to USB on the computer technique on the FT991a. There is absolutely no reason to use an external sound card, unless you want to add more complication to an already complicated situation.
Additionally, the Mienberg NTP time synchro is another over complicated program... I used it for a time, but after a contentious " Microsoft Update Tuesday"  a couple of months ago, I ran into continuous off-synch issues.. Deleting Mienberg and downloading and installing Dimention 4 solved that issue... D4 is old program but it is very easy to install and setup. No issues anymore. 
Yes, it was very good advise to set the bandwidth to Maximum on the Ft991a.
73 and Happy Holiday... 
MIKE K8VA 





--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T
Ubuntu LINUX





john ni0k
 

There is a way to accomplish release of the port without rebooting. Open Device Manager, right-click the proper port and select Disable. Right-click again and select Enable. Ignore any message about rebooting.


--
73,
-de John NI0K
https://www.qrz.com/db/NI0K


MARTIN LAMPNER wrote on 12/25/2020 6:36 PM:

Chris, I found that once an app has used the Com Port via USB, even if you exit the program it does not always release the Com Port. The error is telling you the port i not available. The fix while a nuisance is unfortunately to reboot the machine if this is what is causing it. My guess is RT did not disconnect from the USB connection on exit. A reboot cures that. 

Dan nothing to apologize about. Yes the 991A and I assume the 991 actually opens to com ports via the USB cable. When using HRD’s Rig control as the “radio” in WSJT you get a choice PPT called CAT and I assume that it instructs WSJT to use the second port for sound. I do know the audio is getting to WSJT as the audio meter on the left of the screen show level and responds if I raise or lower the volume on the 991A.  

I’m actually using the NIST.GOV clock as my time server, assuming the time.is website is accurate then my clock in the PC is accurate to within 7/10s of a second so I am  fairly confident time sync is good. I could improve on it. Windows 10 calls the time server once a day, but you can edit the Registry and instruct it to do it more frequently. I’m always hesitant to mess in the registry but if I wanted to improve the accuracy of time keeping having it do it four times a day but I don’t think that is going to be needed. I know my PC calls for time at 9:38PM and resets then. If when I checked it about half an hour ago it was only 7 10ths behind It should be no more than .085 behind at reset. 

I do have some concern about how good Time.Is is just because the net itself can induce time loss. Not sure how it compensates for that. As I mentioned I really loved my old radio based time check system but it was when I had the company buy it about $800. But it theoretically was going to be off by know more than .001 seconds from WWV, anywhere in North America and less than that most places. 

Still struggling with getting this to work right but one thing being retired and being careful about COVID is provide time to play with this. 

On Dec 25, 2020, at 6:59 PM, d_ziolkowski <dan.ziolkowski@...> wrote:

sorry I misspoke, I thought from reading the specs of the 991 that an SCU17 was required. Reading it again, the SCU17 is integrated into the unit. 

Perhaps then also probably gives HRD the ability to adjust the SCU17? 

My apologies 

Dan KC2STA

On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 6:19 PM Mike Koralewski K8VA <k8va@...> wrote:
I disagree.. It is perfectly "best" to use the direct USB on the rig, to USB on the computer technique on the FT991a. There is absolutely no reason to use an external sound card, unless you want to add more complication to an already complicated situation.
Additionally, the Mienberg NTP time synchro is another over complicated program... I used it for a time, but after a contentious " Microsoft Update Tuesday"  a couple of months ago, I ran into continuous off-synch issues.. Deleting Mienberg and downloading and installing Dimention 4 solved that issue... D4 is old program but it is very easy to install and setup. No issues anymore. 
Yes, it was very good advise to set the bandwidth to Maximum on the Ft991a.
73 and Happy Holiday... 
MIKE K8VA 





--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T
Ubuntu LINUX









MARTIN LAMPNER
 

That’s true would work, but I always wonder at the point you have this kind of issue what else needs a reset and hence I tend to reboot. The big advantage of doing what John suggests is if you had other programs running and didn’t want to to stop them for a restart this would achieve that  without having to shut down and restart everything. 

I also need to correct something else, I’m used to working with server based systems. Windows 10 and other recent releases of Windows on free standing machines without a domain controller actually will only reset the clock once every seven days. Where there is a domain controller it does it either daily or hourly depending on tolerances. That said going into the registry and changing the value of this item allows you to set what ever time refresh time you want. I missed the first step which is open regedit. 14400 would reset the time every 4 hours. Given the drift in my PC’s clock that means something less than .03 seconds at max drift. Hate changing registry items but guess I will be doing so. 
  1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient
    
  2. Right click the key SpecialPollInterval and select modify.
  3. Select Decimal as Base. The default value in the Value data box will be 604800 which is the poll interval in seconds (604800 seconds = 7 days).
  4. Enter a new value in the Value data box. For example if you want to set the poll interval to one day, enter the 86400.
  5. Click OK.
  6. Close registry editor and restart your computer.


Robert Lorenzini
 

And he could use a cheap USB GPS dongle and BKTtimesync or similar.

Bob - wd6dod

On 12/25/2020 5:18 PM, john ni0k wrote:
There is a way to accomplish release of the port without rebooting. Open Device Manager, right-click the proper port and select Disable. Right-click again and select Enable. Ignore any message about rebooting.


--
73,
-de John NI0K
https://www.qrz.com/db/NI0K


MARTIN LAMPNER wrote on 12/25/2020 6:36 PM:
Chris, I found that once an app has used the Com Port via USB, even if you exit the program it does not always release the Com Port. The error is telling you the port i not available. The fix while a nuisance is unfortunately to reboot the machine if this is what is causing it. My guess is RT did not disconnect from the USB connection on exit. A reboot cures that. 

Dan nothing to apologize about. Yes the 991A and I assume the 991 actually opens to com ports via the USB cable. When using HRD’s Rig control as the “radio” in WSJT you get a choice PPT called CAT and I assume that it instructs WSJT to use the second port for sound. I do know the audio is getting to WSJT as the audio meter on the left of the screen show level and responds if I raise or lower the volume on the 991A.  

I’m actually using the NIST.GOV clock as my time server, assuming the time.is website is accurate then my clock in the PC is accurate to within 7/10s of a second so I am  fairly confident time sync is good. I could improve on it. Windows 10 calls the time server once a day, but you can edit the Registry and instruct it to do it more frequently. I’m always hesitant to mess in the registry but if I wanted to improve the accuracy of time keeping having it do it four times a day but I don’t think that is going to be needed. I know my PC calls for time at 9:38PM and resets then. If when I checked it about half an hour ago it was only 7 10ths behind It should be no more than .085 behind at reset. 

I do have some concern about how good Time.Is is just because the net itself can induce time loss. Not sure how it compensates for that. As I mentioned I really loved my old radio based time check system but it was when I had the company buy it about $800. But it theoretically was going to be off by know more than .001 seconds from WWV, anywhere in North America and less than that most places. 

Still struggling with getting this to work right but one thing being retired and being careful about COVID is provide time to play with this. 

On Dec 25, 2020, at 6:59 PM, d_ziolkowski <dan.ziolkowski@...> wrote:

sorry I misspoke, I thought from reading the specs of the 991 that an SCU17 was required. Reading it again, the SCU17 is integrated into the unit. 

Perhaps then also probably gives HRD the ability to adjust the SCU17? 

My apologies 

Dan KC2STA

On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 6:19 PM Mike Koralewski K8VA <k8va@...> wrote:
I disagree.. It is perfectly "best" to use the direct USB on the rig, to USB on the computer technique on the FT991a. There is absolutely no reason to use an external sound card, unless you want to add more complication to an already complicated situation.
Additionally, the Mienberg NTP time synchro is another over complicated program... I used it for a time, but after a contentious " Microsoft Update Tuesday"  a couple of months ago, I ran into continuous off-synch issues.. Deleting Mienberg and downloading and installing Dimention 4 solved that issue... D4 is old program but it is very easy to install and setup. No issues anymore. 
Yes, it was very good advise to set the bandwidth to Maximum on the Ft991a.
73 and Happy Holiday... 
MIKE K8VA 





--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T
Ubuntu LINUX












MARTIN LAMPNER
 

Good point, may consider but think adjusting the time server polling will take care of this. More after I try. 

On Dec 25, 2020, at 8:56 PM, Robert Lorenzini <bob@...> wrote:

And he could use a cheap USB GPS dongle and BKTtimesync or similar.

Bob - wd6dod

On 12/25/2020 5:18 PM, john ni0k wrote:
There is a way to accomplish release of the port without rebooting. Open Device Manager, right-click the proper port and select Disable. Right-click again and select Enable. Ignore any message about rebooting.


--
73,
-de John NI0K
https://www.qrz.com/db/NI0K


MARTIN LAMPNER wrote on 12/25/2020 6:36 PM:
Chris, I found that once an app has used the Com Port via USB, even if you exit the program it does not always release the Com Port. The error is telling you the port i not available. The fix while a nuisance is unfortunately to reboot the machine if this is what is causing it. My guess is RT did not disconnect from the USB connection on exit. A reboot cures that. 

Dan nothing to apologize about. Yes the 991A and I assume the 991 actually opens to com ports via the USB cable. When using HRD’s Rig control as the “radio” in WSJT you get a choice PPT called CAT and I assume that it instructs WSJT to use the second port for sound. I do know the audio is getting to WSJT as the audio meter on the left of the screen show level and responds if I raise or lower the volume on the 991A.  

I’m actually using the NIST.GOV clock as my time server, assuming the time.is website is accurate then my clock in the PC is accurate to within 7/10s of a second so I am  fairly confident time sync is good. I could improve on it. Windows 10 calls the time server once a day, but you can edit the Registry and instruct it to do it more frequently. I’m always hesitant to mess in the registry but if I wanted to improve the accuracy of time keeping having it do it four times a day but I don’t think that is going to be needed. I know my PC calls for time at 9:38PM and resets then. If when I checked it about half an hour ago it was only 7 10ths behind It should be no more than .085 behind at reset. 

I do have some concern about how good Time.Is is just because the net itself can induce time loss. Not sure how it compensates for that. As I mentioned I really loved my old radio based time check system but it was when I had the company buy it about $800. But it theoretically was going to be off by know more than .001 seconds from WWV, anywhere in North America and less than that most places. 

Still struggling with getting this to work right but one thing being retired and being careful about COVID is provide time to play with this. 

On Dec 25, 2020, at 6:59 PM, d_ziolkowski <dan.ziolkowski@...> wrote:

sorry I misspoke, I thought from reading the specs of the 991 that an SCU17 was required. Reading it again, the SCU17 is integrated into the unit. 

Perhaps then also probably gives HRD the ability to adjust the SCU17? 

My apologies 

Dan KC2STA

On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 6:19 PM Mike Koralewski K8VA <k8va@...> wrote:
I disagree.. It is perfectly "best" to use the direct USB on the rig, to USB on the computer technique on the FT991a. There is absolutely no reason to use an external sound card, unless you want to add more complication to an already complicated situation.
Additionally, the Mienberg NTP time synchro is another over complicated program... I used it for a time, but after a contentious " Microsoft Update Tuesday"  a couple of months ago, I ran into continuous off-synch issues.. Deleting Mienberg and downloading and installing Dimention 4 solved that issue... D4 is old program but it is very easy to install and setup. No issues anymore. 
Yes, it was very good advise to set the bandwidth to Maximum on the Ft991a.
73 and Happy Holiday... 
MIKE K8VA 





--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T
Ubuntu LINUX















Bob McGraw - K4TAX
 

As to time servers, I've not found Windows 10 system for time to be satisfactory.   I've installed and use Meinberg NTP.  Works great and I don't find that Windows updates to disable the service.  Just be sure and disable the Windows time system when you install Meinberg NTP.   As to Dimension 4, that works quite well and is probably easier to install than Meinberg.    Both are FREE which is the best part.   I find that Meinberg does ping the computer and then adjusts for net delays. 

73

Bob, K4TAX


On 12/25/2020 8:10 PM, MARTIN LAMPNER wrote:
Good point, may consider but think adjusting the time server polling will take care of this. More after I try. 

On Dec 25, 2020, at 8:56 PM, Robert Lorenzini <bob@...> wrote:

And he could use a cheap USB GPS dongle and BKTtimesync or similar.

Bob - wd6dod

On 12/25/2020 5:18 PM, john ni0k wrote:
There is a way to accomplish release of the port without rebooting. Open Device Manager, right-click the proper port and select Disable. Right-click again and select Enable. Ignore any message about rebooting.


--
73,
-de John NI0K
https://www.qrz.com/db/NI0K


MARTIN LAMPNER wrote on 12/25/2020 6:36 PM:
Chris, I found that once an app has used the Com Port via USB, even if you exit the program it does not always release the Com Port. The error is telling you the port i not available. The fix while a nuisance is unfortunately to reboot the machine if this is what is causing it. My guess is RT did not disconnect from the USB connection on exit. A reboot cures that. 

Dan nothing to apologize about. Yes the 991A and I assume the 991 actually opens to com ports via the USB cable. When using HRD’s Rig control as the “radio” in WSJT you get a choice PPT called CAT and I assume that it instructs WSJT to use the second port for sound. I do know the audio is getting to WSJT as the audio meter on the left of the screen show level and responds if I raise or lower the volume on the 991A.  

I’m actually using the NIST.GOV clock as my time server, assuming the time.is website is accurate then my clock in the PC is accurate to within 7/10s of a second so I am  fairly confident time sync is good. I could improve on it. Windows 10 calls the time server once a day, but you can edit the Registry and instruct it to do it more frequently. I’m always hesitant to mess in the registry but if I wanted to improve the accuracy of time keeping having it do it four times a day but I don’t think that is going to be needed. I know my PC calls for time at 9:38PM and resets then. If when I checked it about half an hour ago it was only 7 10ths behind It should be no more than .085 behind at reset. 

I do have some concern about how good Time.Is is just because the net itself can induce time loss. Not sure how it compensates for that. As I mentioned I really loved my old radio based time check system but it was when I had the company buy it about $800. But it theoretically was going to be off by know more than .001 seconds from WWV, anywhere in North America and less than that most places. 

Still struggling with getting this to work right but one thing being retired and being careful about COVID is provide time to play with this. 

On Dec 25, 2020, at 6:59 PM, d_ziolkowski <dan.ziolkowski@...> wrote:

sorry I misspoke, I thought from reading the specs of the 991 that an SCU17 was required. Reading it again, the SCU17 is integrated into the unit. 

Perhaps then also probably gives HRD the ability to adjust the SCU17? 

My apologies 

Dan KC2STA

On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 6:19 PM Mike Koralewski K8VA <k8va@...> wrote:
I disagree.. It is perfectly "best" to use the direct USB on the rig, to USB on the computer technique on the FT991a. There is absolutely no reason to use an external sound card, unless you want to add more complication to an already complicated situation.
Additionally, the Mienberg NTP time synchro is another over complicated program... I used it for a time, but after a contentious " Microsoft Update Tuesday"  a couple of months ago, I ran into continuous off-synch issues.. Deleting Mienberg and downloading and installing Dimention 4 solved that issue... D4 is old program but it is very easy to install and setup. No issues anymore. 
Yes, it was very good advise to set the bandwidth to Maximum on the Ft991a.
73 and Happy Holiday... 
MIKE K8VA 





--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T
Ubuntu LINUX