locked USB driver for Mac 10.15 Catalina and IC-7300/9700

David Hall

I've now managed to get WSJT-X installed successfully on the Mac running OS 10.15 Catalina.  There's now the issue of USB driver for the Mac.  Does it need one or not??  I've looked at a load of sites online, some say it needs one others not.  Can someone please give me a definitive answer.

David  G8CLI

Jim Bennett <w6jhb@...>

David,

I’ve run WSJT-X on many a variety of Mac computers: iMacs, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, and now Mac Mini M1, with several versions of the OS, including the new Big Sur.

Granted I’ve not used either of the ICxxx rigs (I have used K3, KX3, KX2, K1SWL Phasers) with both FTDI USB cables, or stand-alone el-cheapo USB dongles, and have never had to mess around with any sort of driver for the OS.

Jim / W6JHB

On Dec 21, 2020, at 9:37 AM, David Hall <dah@...> wrote:

I've now managed to get WSJT-X installed successfully on the Mac running OS 10.15 Catalina. There's now the issue of USB driver for the Mac. Does it need one or not?? I've looked at a load of sites online, some say it needs one others not. Can someone please give me a definitive answer.

David G8CLI

Austin 2E0MNV

Just wondering, are you referring to some sort of driver for the ability to use CAT control via USB?

David Hall

Yes, exactly.

On 21 Dec 2020, 17:50 +0000, avaughan585@..., wrote:
Just wondering, are you referring to some sort of driver for the ability to use CAT control via USB?

David Hall

Thanks Jim, I think that sort of answers the question.  I’m not sure what an FTDI USB cable is but I’m just using a straight USB-A to USB-B with ferrites at each end.

David
G8CLI

On 21 Dec 2020, 17:49 +0000, Jim Bennett via groups.io <w6jhb@...>, wrote:
[...]

Edited

I asked the same question recently on qrz.com and one guy told me of his experience, that it should work out of the box with newer versions of mac os.  My question was specific to the Yaesu SCU-17 digi mode interface however.   Here is his post https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/help-getting-ft-450d-on-ft8.736545/#post-5702791

Jim Bennett <w6jhb@...>

David,

The Elecraft Rigs I mentioned do not have USB ports - they communicate with the computer via serial. The FTDI cables convert the serial to USB. The newer K3S and K4 have USB output, as I understand. Not having either an IC-7300 or 9700, I don’t know what I/O ports they have.

Jim

On Dec 21, 2020, at 10:02 AM, David Hall <dah@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that.  More info to add to the pile.

David
G8CLI

On 21 Dec 2020, 18:10 +0000, avaughan585@..., wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I asked the same question recently on qrz.com and one guy told me of his experience, that it should work out of the box with newer versions of mac os.  My question was specific to the Yaesu SCU-17 digi mode interface however.   Here is his post https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/help-getting-ft-450d-on-ft8.736545/#post-5702791

Bill Somerville

Hi David,

Jim is referring to USB to serial adapters using the FTDI make of chip, other use one made by Prolific. I believe the built in USB to serial adapters in Icom rigs use a chipset by Silicon Labs. It has been reported that Big Sur has drivers included for that and other popular USB to serial chipsets, I have not verified that but it seems reasonable.

Care should be taken to distinguish between USB Audio CODEC functionality carried over the same USB connection as a CAT serial connection, drivers for generic USB Audio CODECs are included in most operating system installs, that has not always been the case for USB to serial functionality despite that capability being covered by the generic CDC USB framework.

On 21/12/2020 18:02, David Hall wrote:
[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

David,

Each manufacturer uses a different USB to serial "bridge" to convert the
serial I/O of their controller to the USB connection for your USB A to
USB B cable. In general you will need a driver for *any* computer to
recognize the specific USB to serial bridge.

Elecraft use a standard FTDI device with the default FTDI PID (product
ID) - not quite Kosher but it has some advantages with Catalina (because
there are no "Apple approved" FTDI drivers that currently recognize the
custom PID). The FTDI driver built-in to the MacOS appears to work fine
with the Elecraft transceivers.

Unfortunately, Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu all appear to only offer Windows
drivers on their web site(s). You will need to download and install the
MacOS driver directly from Silicon Labs:
<https://www.silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers>.
I can not determine if the driver available from Silicon Labs will
support Catalina (or Big Sur) as the dates/OS versions mentioned in the
documentation file are not sufficiently specific.

Note: because the USB to serial bridge in Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu
transceivers is powered from the transceiver and not the computer
(USB +5V), you will need to manually install the Silicon Labs driver
*before* connecting the USB cable to the transceiver.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-12-21 1:02 PM, David Hall wrote:
[...]

David VK3DRH

G’day David,

The definitive answer is that Catalina has the necessary USB drivers built in. No third party drivers are needed.

When I got my 7610 in 2017, I installed the Silabs drivers and WSJT-X worked well. That was with High Sierra and then Mojave.

When Catalina came along, there was discussion about the Silab drivers not working properly and that Catalina had drivers built in. I uninstalled the Silab drivers and installed Catalina and there was not a problem. I’m now on Big Sur with the built in drivers. I’ve also have a 9700 and R8600 and all 3 Icoms connect without problem with the embedded drivers.

73,  David VK3DRH

David Hall

Thank you David.  At last a definitive answer.

Thanks also to Bill G4WJS and Joe W4TV for their contributions (even though Joe says a driver IS necessary).

David
G8CLI

On 21 Dec 2020, 20:22 +0000, David VK3DRH <groups.io@...>, wrote:

G’day David,

The definitive answer is that Catalina has the necessary USB drivers built in. No third party drivers are needed.

When I got my 7610 in 2017, I installed the Silabs drivers and WSJT-X worked well. That was with High Sierra and then Mojave.

When Catalina came along, there was discussion about the Silab drivers not working properly and that Catalina had drivers built in. I uninstalled the Silab drivers and installed Catalina and there was not a problem. I’m now on Big Sur with the built in drivers. I’ve also have a 9700 and R8600 and all 3 Icoms connect without problem with the embedded drivers.

73, David VK3DRH

David VK3DRH

No probs, David - happy to help.

And with due respect to Joe W4TV, when I was running Catalina and now Big Sur, I have not needed to install any third-party USB drivers from Silabs or anyone else. My 3 Icoms all connect perfectly OK to my 2017 tbMBP for CAT, audio etc and using WSJT-X, logging programs (MLDX, RUMlog, Skookum Logger) and apps (MacDoppler, Blackcat apps etc) using the MacOS inbuilt drivers.

Cheers,  David VK3DRH

K3JRZ

Edited

I'm Big Sur 11.1 and I get this. Hamlib error and the shmmax is not shown as 14680064.

--

Thanks & 73,

Jeff
K3JRZ
100WAAW #404

K3JRZ

Edited

I'm a Yaesu FT-991, forgot to mention.

Thanks & 73,

Jeff
K3JRZ
100WAAW #404

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 6:10 PM Jeff Zarge - K3JRZ <K3JRZ@...> wrote:
I'm Big Sur 11.1 and I get this. Hamlib error and the shmmax is not shown as 14680064.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 17:04 David VK3DRH <groups.io@...> wrote:
No probs, David - happy to help.

And with due respect to Joe W4TV, when I was running Catalina and now Big Sur, I have not needed to install any third-party USB drivers from Silabs or anyone else. My 3 Icoms all connect perfectly OK to my 2017 tbMBP for CAT, audio etc and using WSJT-X, logging programs (MLDX, RUMlog, Skookum Logger) and apps (MacDoppler, Blackcat apps etc) using the MacOS inbuilt drivers.

Cheers,  David VK3DRH

--

Thanks & 73,

Jeff
K3JRZ
100WAAW #404

Warren Zimmer <hammer8266@...>

I had to rerun shammax in terminal again to fix it

On Dec 21, 2020, at 5:11 PM, K3JRZ <K3JRZ@...> wrote:

I'm Big Sur 11.1 and I get this. Hamlib error and the shmmax is not shown as 14680064.

<Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 18.05.30 .png>

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 17:04 David VK3DRH <groups.io@...> wrote:
No probs, David - happy to help.

And with due respect to Joe W4TV, when I was running Catalina and now Big Sur, I have not needed to install any third-party USB drivers from Silabs or anyone else. My 3 Icoms all connect perfectly OK to my 2017 tbMBP for CAT, audio etc and using WSJT-X, logging programs (MLDX, RUMlog, Skookum Logger) and apps (MacDoppler, Blackcat apps etc) using the MacOS inbuilt drivers.

Cheers,  David VK3DRH

--

Thanks & 73,

Jeff
K3JRZ
100WAAW #404

ZS6JBZ Johann

For the Icom rigs that use the 2102 Silabs chip to run the USB link.

The drivers Silabs supplied worked fine with Mac OS Catalina but needed to be updated for Big Sur.
https://www.silabs.com/community/interface/forum.topic.html/vcp_driver_for_macosbigsur110x-SWJK
Silabs published updated driver yesterday.  There is a download link on the page above.

73 Johann ZS6JBZ

K3JRZ

Upon installing the new CP210x VCP Driver v6 on Big Sur macOS 11.1:

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 07.27.39 .png

Thanks & 73,

Jeff
K3JRZ
100WAAW #404

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 1:53 AM <zs6jbz@...> wrote:
For the Icom rigs that use the 2102 Silabs chip to run the USB link.

The drivers Silabs supplied worked fine with Mac OS Catalina but needed to be updated for Big Sur.
https://www.silabs.com/community/interface/forum.topic.html/vcp_driver_for_macosbigsur110x-SWJK
Silabs published updated driver yesterday.  There is a download link on the page above.

73 Johann ZS6JBZ

--

Thanks & 73,

Jeff
K3JRZ
100WAAW #404

Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...>

This week I encountered an issue with our church Mac that was updated this week with Big Sur.   I had to replace or update several drivers in order for the video hardware to to resume working.     Good thing I caught it this week or Christmas Eve and Christmas services would have been a near disaster.   While I believe all has been corrected and is working as it should, I just can't wait for the services start and any surprises that may pop up.

73

Bob, K4TAX