locked Another casualty of MS update related to speaker output device.

Jacques Pecourt

Here is a new one for me.  Using an HP Elite 8200 SFF desktop with Win 10, I lost the ability to choose my output device in the System Sound setting.  For the longest time I simply right clicked on the speaker icon of the task bar, opened sound settings, used the down arrow to select the one I wanted  (the majority of the time Rigblaster required for WSJT ).  The down arrow no longer works, my only choice is Realtek HD that obviously does not work well using WSJT.  I found out by digging in other settings that I can re-enable the proper speaker by muting the wrong one and enabling the other one.

This is kind of complicated and time consuming just like having to go to the garage breakers box to find out how to turn the kitchen light On or Off.

Am I the only one that suffered this casualty?   I realize that this is not directly a WSJT problem although closely related to the use of this wonderful program.  Any help resolving what I have missed so far?

73,  Jacques W2/F2YS

Michael E Wilson Sr <ke5wct@...>

YES! last update removed all of my sounds systems and driver and disabled the desk top speaker. Took all day to get everything reinstalled and working with the right driver down loads. Thanks MS for the training drill!!!!

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 2:14 PM Jacques Pecourt <jmp426@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...>

Gosh!   I have the latest MS update for Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, running on an HP EliteBook 6930P, and have not suffered any of these issues.  Wonder why?

I'd suspect non-MS drivers being used, or those wonderful Driver Update applications which I believe are very poor.   I find the stock drivers from MS do work with all of my applications.  Thus everything seems solid and reliable.

Question?   Has regular computer maintenance been done with the system?  I use an application {CCleaner which is FREE, although I use the paid version} to get rid of install bits and pieces of code, things leftover from programs being installed and later removed.  {The uninstall process often leaves things behind.}

73
Bob, K4TAX

Steven Rutledge

I'm not sure if my unsolved problem is related but ever since I installed the program on W10 machine, I have receive lock-up continually on receive, no pattern.  I have tried everything suggested with no luck.  It will run for five minutes and then it will run for two hours.  However, until a day ago, when it locked up, the green bar in the receive column would freeze in place.  Now it simply disappears.  I'm looking very hard for a machine with Windows 7.  Windows 10 is a crime foisted on users.

Steve, N4JQQ

Jacques Pecourt

Hi Bob,
Glad to hear that you have been as lucky as I had until last Saturday. It looks like keeping up with Win 10 has been like rolling some dice. If you throw the right numbers.If not problems appear out of nowhere.  Yes, this desktop totally dedicated to ham radio has been good, updated religiously (until yesterday MS updates).  I found a way around to make it work for my digimode application.  Still digging up and eventually fixing it.
73,  Jacques  W2/F2YS

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 11:11, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:
Gosh!   I have the latest MS update for Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, running on an HP EliteBook 6930P, and have not suffered any of these issues.  Wonder why?

I'd suspect non-MS drivers being used, or those wonderful Driver Update applications which I believe are very poor.   I find the stock drivers from MS do work with all of my applications.  Thus everything seems solid and reliable.

Question?   Has regular computer maintenance been done with the system?  I use an application {CCleaner which is FREE, although I use the paid version} to get rid of install bits and pieces of code, things leftover from programs being installed and later removed.  {The uninstall process often leaves things behind.}

73
Bob, K4TAX

Jacques Pecourt

Thank you for the follow up with my problem. Sorry to hear that you also have issues with Win10. Yes, there are so many people with configuration problems, loss of this or that, program freezing all of the sudden.  I fear updates that of course are recommended for safety issues. I remember reading on this group that there is a way to restrict changing certain sections of the computer when MS updates play foul. I have ignored this so far but I am going to pay attention to that suggestion. Unfortunately, WIN 7 is obsolete, you would probably have less technical issues with that but, on the other hand, expose yourself to worse security concerns. Have you tried to reload the program? I have done this occasionally in the past with good success. Good luck to you.

73   Jacques  W2/F2YS

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 16:37, Steven Rutledge <steven.t.rutledge@...> wrote:
I'm not sure if my unsolved problem is related but ever since I installed the program on W10 machine, I have receive lock-up continually on receive, no pattern.  I have tried everything suggested with no luck.  It will run for five minutes and then it will run for two hours.  However, until a day ago, when it locked up, the green bar in the receive column would freeze in place.  Now it simply disappears.  I'm looking very hard for a machine with Windows 7.  Windows 10 is a crime foisted on users.

Steve, N4JQQ

Steven Rutledge

Yes, I have reloaded the program numerous time Jacques.  I'll keep trying.  I'm more than happy to take my chances with security and Windows 7 vs this nightmare.  If the Russians, Iranians or the Chinese want into my ham computer, they are more than welcome.  I think they will be disappointed.  :)))))  In fact, they might possibly find themselves inflicted/infected with my own issues here.

73,

Steve, N4JQQ

Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA <drew@...>

Are you using "Quick Boot"?  Disable it.

Jacques Pecourt

Hi Drew,

No I do not.

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 18:35, Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA <drew@...> wrote:

Are you using "Quick Boot"?  Disable it.

Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...>

I find in removing programs, including WSJT and others, that fragments of code are leftover from the previous install.   Then when one installs the program again, these fragments, usually broken code,  come into play when the install takes place again.   As I wrote earlier, I find it necessary to use an application to clean broken links and also the registry.   This was recommended to me by an MIS professional.

I know some of you experts may disagree with my efforts but............mine work!    And it seems other's methods do cause issues.    Just saying.

73
Bob, K4TAX

Karl Beckman WA8NVW - NNV5BH

If the green receive level indicator disappears but you can still hear audio from the radio's speaker, it is most often due to stray RF getting into the USB data stream.  It has NOTHING to do with the computer operating system or Windows 10 updates, so back-dating your OS to Win7 will not alter the situation.  Treat this as a textbook case of RF overload where the receiver is the input side of the USB interface chip. Maker of the USB interface chip doesn't matter.
1)  Loop your USB cable three or more times through a ferrite 'donut' core. Use the same ferrite material mix that you would for a balun or RF choke in the transmission line.
2)  Connect your computer's metal chassis to your station's common 'RF ground.'  The third pin of the AC power cord works OK at 50/60 Hz, but is not sufficient at amateur band frequencies.
--
Karl  WA8NVW  OH
WA8NVW@...

Williams, G (af8c)

Hi,
There was already a notice after this one (below) about RF getting into the data stream.

Years ago I found SignaLink USB needs the RF choke filters on the side going into the rig.

But I wanted to mention here about  uninstalls. "REVOUNINSTALLER" will uninstall most software and alert you to all left over fragments, folders,  and registry lint.   Then use CCLEANER after that.  Notice that CCLEANER separately does files and registry work.

--73, Glenn, AF8C

On 11/24/2020 9:42 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX via groups.io wrote:
I find in removing programs, including WSJT and others, that fragments of code are leftover from the previous install.   Then when one installs the program again, these fragments, usually broken code,  come into play when the install takes place again.   As I wrote earlier, I find it necessary to use an application to clean broken links and also the registry.   This was recommended to me by an MIS professional.

I know some of you experts may disagree with my efforts but............mine work!    And it seems other's methods do cause issues.    Just saying.

73
Bob, K4TAX

Avast logo