locked DXCC on FST4 160m #FT4 / Defaults #FT4

Amos Sobel 4X4MF

Bill

I believe very few people will experiment FST4 without a purpose. I , and some others, hope to get on 160m better performance with FST4 then FT8 to complete DXCC 160m.

I suggest you will create and publish here a common set of FST4 160m parameter for each of the coming weeks till the end of 2020. This way the DXCC chasers will participate in a larger scale FST4 experiment.

By the way, only 160m of the MF bands is legal in my country.

With long time appreciation for your work

Amos 4X4MF

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Somerville
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 8:26 PM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] CQ FST4 160m #FT4 / Defaults

Hi Amos,

where possible we will not recommend frequencies or modes, it's just too difficult to satisfy all parties. I suggest you coordinate with other users and find slots and modes that work for you. On LF and MF the choice of mode and frequency depends on many factors, a default is not really appropriate. Think of FST4(W) as a tool for exploring weak signal propagation, it was never intended as a general QSO mode or a general beacon mode, although it may become the go to tool on some bands where it may be the only way to get the job done.

Bill
G4WJS.

On 17/11/2020 18:11, Amos Sobel 4X4MF wrote:

FST4  developers

I  did not notice that one possible reason for the low activity on FST4 is it’s many options such as T/R=15 or 30 or 60 or 120 or 300 or 900 or 1800 seconds, F Low, F High, TX,  Rx and working frequency

Please suggest a default set of parameters for FST4 on 160m which will give better results then FT8.

Please explain what do start submode FST4W.

I will postpone my FST4 activity waitinf for your answer

Amos 4X4MF

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Amos Sobel 4X4MF
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 6:58 PM
Subject: [WSJTX] CQ FST4 160m #FT4

I am listening now on 1839.000 Khz FST4
Please join me with WSJT-X v2.3.0 rc2

Amos 4X4MF

Larry

Amos,

Based on my experience on 160 during the early FST4 trials, I can make some suggestions.

For a number of reasons I believe most of the FST4 options are not practical for DX work on 160. The optimum seems to be FST4-60, with shorter sequences not giving much advantage and longer sequences requiring more time than is practical in a typical 160 QSO scenario.

The longer sequence options would certainly be a big advantage for a schedule between two stations attempting a QSO over a very difficult path.

FST4-60 will give almost 10 dB advantage over FT-8 under most band conditions.

Since FST4-60 is much narrower in bandwidth than FT-8, it requires only a small slice of spectrum. During the trials we used a few hundred Hz just below the FT-8 default frequency. The default frequency for FST is currently 1839 and if you use an audio frequency of around 1200, you should be good. That's where I have seen the little FST4 activity on this side of the pond.

I really hope more weak signal 160 DX'ers try FST4 as it has a lot of potential.

73, Larry - W7IUV

On 11/18/2020 8:39 AM, Amos Sobel 4X4MF wrote:
Bill
I believe very few people will experiment FST4 without a purpose. I , and some others, hope to get on 160m better performance with FST4 then FT8 to complete DXCC 160m.
I suggest you will create and publish here a common set of FST4 160m parameter for each of the coming weeks till the end of 2020. This way the DXCC chasers will participate in a larger scale FST4 experiment.
Amos 4X4MF

Robie - AJ4F

Larry,

Thanks for the information.  I'll be on tonight about 0100 UTC.

Robie - AJ4F

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 11:27 AM Larry <larry@...> wrote:
Amos,

Based on my experience on 160 during the early FST4 trials, I can make
some suggestions.

For a number of reasons I believe most of the FST4 options are not
practical for DX work on 160. The optimum seems to be FST4-60, with
shorter sequences not giving much advantage and longer sequences
requiring more time than is practical in a typical 160 QSO scenario.

The longer sequence options would certainly be a big advantage for a
schedule between two stations attempting a QSO over a very difficult path.

FST4-60 will give almost 10 dB advantage over FT-8 under most band
conditions.

Since FST4-60 is much narrower in bandwidth than FT-8, it requires only
a small slice of spectrum. During the trials we used a few hundred Hz
just below the FT-8 default frequency. The default frequency for FST is
currently 1839 and if you use an audio frequency of around 1200, you
should be good. That's where I have seen the little FST4 activity on
this side of the pond.

I really hope more weak signal 160 DX'ers try FST4 as it has a lot of
potential.

73, Larry - W7IUV

> Bill
>
> I believe very few people will experiment FST4 without a purpose. I ,
> and some others, hope to get on 160m better performance with FST4 then
> FT8 to complete DXCC 160m.
>
> I suggest you will create and publish here a common set of FST4 160m
> parameter for each of the coming weeks till the end of 2020. This way
> the DXCC chasers will participate in a larger scale FST4 experiment.
>
> By the way, only 160m of the MF bands is legal in my country.
>
> With long time appreciation for your work
>
> Amos 4X4MF

Amos Sobel 4X4MF

Larry

Starting now, this evening, 20:55 our time, 18:55 UTC till 22:00 UTC I will be listening on 1839.000 KHz, t/r=60, RX=TX=1200. What shell I do with F Low and F High?
From time to time I will call CQ
You are all welcome to join me

Amos 4X4MF

-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 7:27 PM
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] DXCC on FST4 160m #FT4 / Defaults

Amos,

Based on my experience on 160 during the early FST4 trials, I can make some suggestions.

For a number of reasons I believe most of the FST4 options are not practical for DX work on 160. The optimum seems to be FST4-60, with shorter sequences not giving much advantage and longer sequences requiring more time than is practical in a typical 160 QSO scenario.

The longer sequence options would certainly be a big advantage for a schedule between two stations attempting a QSO over a very difficult path.

Since FST4-60 is much narrower in bandwidth than FT-8, it requires only a small slice of spectrum. During the trials we used a few hundred Hz just below the FT-8 default frequency. The default frequency for FST is currently 1839 and if you use an audio frequency of around 1200, you should be good. That's where I have seen the little FST4 activity on this side of the pond.

I really hope more weak signal 160 DX'ers try FST4 as it has a lot of potential.

73, Larry - W7IUV

Bill

I believe very few people will experiment FST4 without a purpose. I ,
and some others, hope to get on 160m better performance with FST4 then
FT8 to complete DXCC 160m.

I suggest you will create and publish here a common set of FST4 160m
parameter for each of the coming weeks till the end of 2020. This way
the DXCC chasers will participate in a larger scale FST4 experiment.

Amos 4X4MF

Larry

Amos,

Most of what little activity I have seen occurs between about 800 to 1200 so I set Flow at 500 and Fhi at 1300. Start with the NB set to 0, but gradually increase it as you gain experience. You can always save the wav anf play it back with different NB settings to see how it helps (or not).

I will have the receiver on and monitoring. It will report to PSKreporter. I may not be transmitting if I am active on 630m.

73, Larry - W7IUV

On 11/18/2020 11:01 AM, Amos Sobel 4X4MF wrote:
Larry
Starting now, this evening, 20:55 our time, 18:55 UTC till 22:00 UTC I will be listening on 1839.000 KHz, t/r=60, RX=TX=1200. What shell I do with F Low and F High?
From time to time I will call CQ
You are all welcome to join me
Amos 4X4MF
-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 7:27 PM
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] DXCC on FST4 160m #FT4 / Defaults
Amos,
73, Larry - W7IUV
Bill

I believe very few people will experiment FST4 without a purpose. I ,
and some others, hope to get on 160m better performance with FST4 then
FT8 to complete DXCC 160m.

I suggest you will create and publish here a common set of FST4 160m
parameter for each of the coming weeks till the end of 2020. This way
the DXCC chasers will participate in a larger scale FST4 experiment.

Amos 4X4MF