locked Dependency is not satisfiable: libgfortran3 (>= 4.8.2)

Dale Coleman <dkc@...>

Hi all, running Debian (Buster) and long story short have not been able
to install current WSJTX. Tried dpkg, results below

root@BlackBox:~/wsjtx# dpkg -i wsjtx_2.2.2_amd64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package wsjtx.
(Reading database ... 190585 files and directories currently
installed.)
Preparing to unpack wsjtx_2.2.2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking wsjtx (2.2.2) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of wsjtx:
wsjtx depends on libgfortran3 (>= 4.8.2); however:
Package libgfortran3 is not installed.
wsjtx depends on libgfortran4 (>= 7); however:
Package libgfortran4 is not installed.
-----------------------------

apt install from the depository did work and version 2.0.0 is running
fine.

Next I tried using gdebi with results below.

root@BlackBox:/home/dkc/Downloads# gdebi wsjtx_2.2.2_amd64.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading state information... Done
This package is uninstallable
Dependency is not satisfiable: libgfortran3 (>= 4.8.2)

Not sure of the best way to sort this out.

Thanks for any advise, Dale KF4SIR

Jeff Stillinger

Install libgfortran version 4.8 or greater.   If it's not in your linux flavors repository, then you can build it from source and install it.

On 11/1/20 9:40 AM, Dale Coleman wrote:
[...]

On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 10:46 -0600, Jeff Stillinger via groups.io wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I'm confused over libgfortran3 vs libgfortran5
and the required version.

Looks like libgfortran5 is avaiable but not libgfortran3

root@BlackBox:/home/dkc# apt-cache search libgfortran5
libgfortran5 - Runtime library for GNU Fortran applications
libgfortran5-dbg - Runtime library for GNU Fortran applications (debug
symbols)
libgfortran5-amd64-cross - Runtime library for GNU Fortran applications
libgfortran5-arm64-cross - Runtime library for GNU Fortran applications
libgfortran5-armel-cross - Runtime library for GNU Fortran applications
libgfortran5-armhf-cross - Runtime library for GNU Fortran applications
libgfortran5-i386-cross - Runtime library for GNU Fortran applications
libgfortran5-mips-cross - Runtime library for GNU Fortran applications

[...]

Read your error message  " wsjtx depends on libgfortran3 (>= 4.8.2); however: "

The ">=" is the mathematical symbol for equal to or greater than.   Therefore, libgfortran5 is greater than 4.8.2 and should meet the dependency.

On 11/1/20 12:22 PM, Dale Coleman wrote:
[...]

Rick Chapman

Jeff

I think you are mistaken.  libfortran3 and libfortran5 are different packages, so libfortran5 can never satisfy a dependency on libfortran3.

Dale

If libfortran3 is not in your repository, you can (should) build WSJT-X from sources.  Download the wsjtx-2.2.2.tgz file and read the install file it contains.

Build from sources is pretty easy but there are some fairly obvious typos in the install file.

Where it refers to "SVN" this may be in your repository as "subversion"

"libqt5libserialport5-dev"  should be "libqt5serialport5-dev"

"libusb-1.0.0-dev"  should be "libusb-1.0-0-dev"

Also prior to running the line "$ tar xzf wsjtx-2.0.0.tgz" which should be "$ tar xzf wsjtx-2.2.2.tgz" you need to have copied the tgz file into the build directory

Also "cmake -DWSJT_SKIP_MANPAGES=ON -DWSJT_GENERATE_DOCS=OFF ../wsjtx-2.0.0"  should end with 2.2.2 as well

Also be aware at the line "$ cmake --build ." this ends with a dot which is important.

The tools and libraries were about 300Mb to download  Build will take a few minutes to complete.  This approach will get round all your dependency problems.

Hope this helps

Rick(GM4JIB)

On 02/11/2020 02:45, Jeff Stillinger via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Bill Somerville

Hi Dale and Jeff,

that is correct and they seem to prefer new packages rather often, I assume because of breaking changes as the Fortran language evolves. I have tried to include alternatives in the Debian and RPM control file requirements for the next release. Unfortunately there is a defect in the dependencies listed for WSJT-X v2.3.0 RC1, the next release will be better.

Note that the Debian package we release for WSJT-X v2.3.0 RC1 targets Debian 10 (Buster) based distribution versions like Ubuntu 20.04. As Rick notes, building from sources is the right way to go if there are dependency issues. I don't understand why anyone would consider importing packages not in the mainstream distro repositories, that is risking breaking any number of other packages whereas building WSJT-X from sources will never require any packages not in your current distro repositories.

On 02/11/2020 10:30, Rick Chapman wrote:

[...]

Yet this satisfies the dependency to build/run 2.0.0 on Red Hat, Oracle, and CentOS. Curious question as to why it would not satisfy a build on the other flavors.   Now I am curious as to what my SuSE Enterprise is using.

Name         : libgfortran
Version      : 8.3.1
Release      : 5.el8.0.2
Architecture : x86_64
Size         : 2.5 M
Source       : gcc-8.3.1-5.el8.0.2.src.rpm
Repository   : @System
From repo    : BaseOS
Summary      : Fortran runtime
URL          : http://gcc.gnu.org
License      : GPLv3+ and GPLv3+ with exceptions and GPLv2+ with exceptions and
             : LGPLv2+ and BSD
Description  : This package contains Fortran shared library which is needed to
             : run Fortran dynamically linked programs.

On 11/2/20 7:11 AM, Bill Somerville wrote:
[...]

On Mon, 2020-11-02 at 13:11 +0000, Bill Somerville wrote:

Thanks for the replies, I did find: libgfortran3_6.3.0

But it had a dependency issue with gcc-6-base.

Kinda like the idea of compiling from souce.

First I think I will reveiw the change log from my version 2.0.0 and
compare it to 2.2.2. 2.0.0 is working great so I might wait a bit.

root@BlackBox:/home/dkc/Downloads# gdebi libgfortran3_6.3.0-
18+deb9u1_amd64.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading state information... Done
This package is uninstallable
Dependency is not satisfiable: gcc-6-base (= 6.3.0-18+deb9u1)

groups.io wrote:

[...]

Hi Dale

Go for it !

I built from  sources for  2.2.2 on the current Debian Buster (in a VM).   Easy - see attached.  Also built 2.3.0rc1 the same way.

I got several error 502s (server hang up) from the repository when downloading the tools and libs (422MB), retrying worked ok though, so no problem.

I have a bash script if you need it.

73's

Rick(GM4JIB)

On Tue, 2020-11-03 at 18:57 +0000, Rick Chapman wrote:
Hi Dale

Go for it !

I built from sources for 2.2.2 on the current Debian Buster (in a
VM).
Easy - see attached. Also built 2.3.0rc1 the same way.
Just got it going, turned out to be quite hard for me but it may have
been do to missing the skip man pages on first go.

$ cmake -DWSJT_SKIP_MANPAGES=ON -DWSJT_GENERATE_DOCS=OFF ../wsjtx-2.2.2
$ cmake --build .

After I ran the above I got to 84%
[ 84%] Linking CXX executable wsjtx
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ludev

apt install libudev-dev fixed it.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Just made my first contact with version 2.2.2. Working great :-)

[...]

Glad to hear it was a success.   One more learning process ticked off ;-)

73's

Rick (GM4JIB)