locked Why no auto updating of logs?

Pete Ritter K5CPR

Why does wsjt-x not include automatic logging to LoTW, QRZ, etc?  I suppose the answer is "because there are other apps that do that so why expend the effort?".  That's a reasonable answer but the other apps can be tricky to configure, have large footprints, and have features that many of us would never use.  It couldn't be difficult for wsjt-x developers to include support for at least the LoTW APIs.

I don't expect it to happen and as I said I believe that's reasonable. So what is the best option for a simple, low-frills logging app that plays nicely with wsjt-x?

Anthony Luscre

LOG4OM v2 works well and is free.

LOGic 9 from PDA is a commercial product that also works well

--
Anthony Luscre

K8ZT
Ohio Section Section Youth Coordinator & Education Outreach
ARRL - The National Association For Amateur Radio™

k8zt@... (best for Amateur Radio)

The Web Resource Hoarder- www.ZTLearn.com

K8ZT Radio Website- www.k8zt.com

Amateur Radio Resources for Students/Youth - www.k8zt.com/hry

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

Because that is not the purpose of WSJT-X.  It provides a rudimentary text log file, but third-party log programs, and software bridges do a much better job than trying to add all sorts of extraneous functions to what is basically a digital communication program.

Such a logging app is DXKeeper, part of the DXLab suite of software.  You don't have to install them all, but DXKeeper provides a lot of functionality along with the capability to automatically upload to many online log systems, as well as LoTW.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 10/22/2020 8:46 AM, Pete Ritter via groups.io wrote:

Why does wsjt-x not include automatic logging to LoTW, QRZ, etc?  I suppose the answer is "because there are other apps that do that so why expend the effort?".  That's a reasonable answer but the other apps can be tricky to configure, have large footprints, and have features that many of us would never use.  It couldn't be difficult for wsjt-x developers to include support for at least the LoTW APIs.

I don't expect it to happen and as I said I believe that's reasonable. So what is the best option for a simple, low-frills logging app that plays nicely with wsjt-x?

Gilbert Baron

YES. The best by a WIDE margin. It is also free and the support is amazing. You would not be sorry to use this. As said , you need not install all but I would suggest using COMMANDER and Spot collector as part of your setup although you can go a little at a time.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

[...]

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W