locked Continuing problem, WSJT-X fails to decode

lmeeny

Hello,

I've been off the air for 5 days now with a problem vexing many members of the group, WSJT-X stops decoding after working properly for months on end.

The following conditions are true:

My computer clock is properly synced every 40 minutes. I've used two different NTP time sync programs and both check fine against time.is. When working properly WSJT-X displays dt values varying +/- 0.2 sec around 0.0 sec.

Signals are displayed on the waterfall and amplitude on the main window vertical tape display varies reflecting waterfall signal strengths. Waterfall signals can be saved to .wav files and listened to but not decoded when opened by using the file menu. Stored examples can be decoded.

Measured latency values cluster around 1000  usec, (is this too long?) with occasional peaks well above 5000 usec. but the times between spikes are much longer than, for instance, the duration of a FT4 or FT8 received transmission. On FT8 these spikes I believe are responsible for the occasional "0 decode" count. Repeated cycling between STOP and MONITOR or Powering off and restarting / rebooting the PC have no affect.

Repeatedly closing and opening WSJT-X has no affect. CPU usage, according to Task Manager, varies around 5%.

USB ports are not put to sleep.

The cause or causes appears to be independent of computer OS, hardware or WSJT-X version.  That this failure happens to so many people seems significant.  Is there a single cause or many? What can we do collectively to help fix this! Can the WSJT-X programmers add temporary hooks in the software to flag where the failure(s) occurs?

73,

Ed W2GHD

Bill Somerville

On 17/10/2020 20:22, lmeeny wrote:
[...]

Hi Ed,

if you check the "Menu->Save->Save all" option then pick a good example of a non-decode period and send us the saved .WAV file for analysis please?

lmeeny

Bill,

Thank you, files have been sent to your email address as shown on QRZ.

Ed W2GHD

Russ Ravella

Hi Bill,

I have often had this problem too and have reported it. In my case, sometimes restarting WSJT-X does fix it though often only for a few minutes. I also don’t believe it has anything to do with my computer h/w (it’s now happened with three totally different computers) and I don’t believe it’s my radio (I’ve had five during the period I’ve had the problem) or how its configured or connected (again, there have been many cases). I would like to also send you my saved.WAV file but I can’t find a file named “saved.WAV” anywhere on my computer after checking Menu>Save>Save all” from which to pick a good non-decode period. Could you please elaborate just slightly ?

Thanks,
Russ KR6W

On Oct 17, 2020, at 12:25 PM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Russ,

saved .WAV files go to the directory specified in "Settings->Audio". By default that is a directory called save under the WSJT-X log files directory ("Menu->File->Open log directory").

On 17/10/2020 23:25, Russ Ravella via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Bruce N7XGR

Russ,  Here it is located,  C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\WSJT-X\save

Bruce  N7XGR

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 6:25 PM Russ Ravella via groups.io <rus5=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill,

I have often had this problem too and have reported it.  In my case, sometimes restarting WSJT-X does fix it though often only for a few minutes.  I also don’t believe it has anything to do with my computer h/w (it’s now happened with three totally different computers) and I don’t believe it’s my radio (I’ve had five during the period I’ve had the problem) or how its configured or connected (again, there have been many cases).  I would like to also send you my saved.WAV file but I can’t find a file named “saved.WAV” anywhere on my computer after checking Menu>Save>Save all” from which to pick a good non-decode period.  Could you please elaborate just slightly ?

Thanks,
Russ KR6W

> On Oct 17, 2020, at 12:25 PM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
>
> On 17/10/2020 20:22, lmeeny wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've been off the air for 5 days now with a problem vexing many members of the group, WSJT-X stops decoding after working properly for months on end.
>>
>> The following conditions are true:
>>
>> My computer clock is properly synced every 40 minutes. I've used two different NTP time sync programs and both check fine against time.is. When working properly WSJT-X displays dt values varying +/- 0.2 sec around 0.0 sec.
>>
>> Signals are displayed on the waterfall and amplitude on the main window vertical tape display varies reflecting waterfall signal strengths. Waterfall signals can be saved to .wav files and listened to but not decoded when opened by using the file menu. Stored examples can be decoded.
>>
>> Measured latency values cluster around 1000  usec, (is this too long?) with occasional peaks well above 5000 usec. but the times between spikes are much longer than, for instance, the duration of a FT4 or FT8 received transmission. On FT8 these spikes I believe are responsible for the occasional "0 decode" count. Repeated cycling between STOP and MONITOR or Powering off and restarting / rebooting the PC have no affect.
>>
>> Repeatedly closing and opening WSJT-X has no affect. CPU usage, according to Task Manager, varies around 5%.
>>
>> USB ports are not put to sleep.
>>
>> The cause or causes appears to be independent of computer OS, hardware or WSJT-X version.  That this failure happens to so many people seems significant.  Is there a single cause or many? What can we do collectively to help fix this! Can the WSJT-X programmers add temporary hooks in the software to flag where the failure(s) occurs?
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Ed W2GHD
>
> Hi Ed,
>
> if you check the "Menu->Save->Save all" option then pick a good example of a non-decode period and send us the saved .WAV file for analysis please?
>
> 73
> Bill
> G4WJS.

Russ Ravella

Thanks Bill and Bruce,

I see it now.  microsoft apparently decided to re-hide my system files during the last update and “AppData” wasn’t showing or being included in searches.  Fixed now.

I happened to actually be in the no-decode state when I saw Ed’s post and your response.  The program controls are still responsive when this happens but the waterfall and input meter are frozen and of course no decodes come in.  I’m running a Flex 6700 (SDR 3.1.12, Win10 2004) and DAX is responsive while WSJT-X decodes are frozen.  Restarting DAX anyway doesn’t help.

So I set “Save all” for a few progress bar cycles and checked but out of a zillion files there were none covering that period.  Obviously the file doesn’t get generated when decodes are frozen and “Save” was off (somehow?) when it happened this time.  I’ve stopped and relaunched WSJT-X, it’s un-frozen again, and I’ve got “Save All” re-enabled.  So when it happens again I’ll grab the latest file and send it to you.

Thanks for the help !
Russ KR6W

On Oct 17, 2020, at 3:31 PM, Bruce N7XGR <n7xgr1@...> wrote:

> [...]

>> Repeatedly closing and opening WSJT-X has no affect. CPU usage, according to Task Manager, varies around 5%.
>>
>> USB ports are not put to sleep.
>>
>> The cause or causes appears to be independent of computer OS, hardware or WSJT-X version.  That this failure happens to so many people seems significant.  Is there a single cause or many? What can we do collectively to help fix this! Can the WSJT-X programmers add temporary hooks in the software to flag where the failure(s) occurs?
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Ed W2GHD
>
> Hi Ed,
>
> if you check the "Menu->Save->Save all" option then pick a good example of a non-decode period and send us the saved .WAV file for analysis please?

Bill Somerville

On 17/10/2020 22:02, lmeeny wrote:
Bill,

Thank you, files have been sent to your email address as shown on QRZ.

Ed W2GHD
Hi Ed,

thanks for the files. I have tried to reply to your direct email but you ISP or mail server is refusing connections from my mail server. I will try again using a gmail account.

Executive summary is: it looks like your files are LSB recordings, WSJT-X requires audio from a USB Rx.

lmeeny

Thanks to Bill Somervilles’, G4WJS,  insightful  and detailed analysis of the .wav files I sent him I’m back on the air. For reasons yet unknown the audio seen by the decoder was LSB where the various digital modes require USB.

How this happened is undetermined. My transceiver indicated it was in USB mode as I had been for a very long time never having been turned off. Selecting LSB mode the audio signal on the waterfall disappeared as is expected. Selecting USB mode the waterfall again was active … and decoding began, a puzzle.

I forgot the most basic troubleshooting technique, turn it off then on again. :-)

Thank you Bill for your patience.

Ed W2GHD

Kurt Fritsch

Same here.

Kurt WA3TOY

On Sunday, October 18, 2020, 03:46:57 PM EDT, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

On 17/10/2020 22:02, lmeeny wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Thank you, files have been sent to your email address as shown on QRZ.
>
> Ed W2GHD

Hi Ed,

thanks for the files. I have tried to reply to your direct email but you
ISP or mail server is refusing connections from my mail server. I will
try again using a gmail account.

Executive summary is: it looks like your files are LSB recordings,
WSJT-X requires audio from a USB Rx.

Russ Ravella

Edited

HI Bill,

Following up on this, I’ve been off the air for a few days but fired up WSJT-X today and got another freeze.  I’m sending you the last three .wav files that were saved consistent with your request below.  To me they just sound like normal audio and seem to terminate normally.  WSJT-X was up and frozen when I grabbed them and after I did, and closed WSJT-X, I checked and no more .wav files had been written.  I also took a short video showing WSJT-X with the waterfall frozen but the 15-sec timer still running and Flex DAX showing audio still being generated by the radio (that is, the radio and audio connection weren't frozen).  Being a video file, I won’t attach it here in case you’d rather I sent it via another means.

I’ve been getting these freezes since at least the first V2 and maybe before.  I can’t correlate them to anything.  During that time I’ve had four different Flex radios (quality is not a Flex Radio attribute - software or hardware) and several revisions of SSDR, CAT, DAX and Windows 10 software (I’m on 2004 now) running on three different fast laptops each set up from scratch.  I don’t use any third party AV software as they’re all basically malware themselves. The freezes seem to just “happen”.  Sometimes closing and restarting WSJT-X fixes it and sometimes I have to restart the whole computer.  I’ve lost at least one potential ATNO due to this.

Thanks for helping as always !
Russ KR6W

On Oct 17, 2020, at 4:07 PM, Russ Ravella <rus5@...> wrote:

> [...]

>> Repeatedly closing and opening WSJT-X has no affect. CPU usage, according to Task Manager, varies around 5%.
>>
>> USB ports are not put to sleep.
>>
>> The cause or causes appears to be independent of computer OS, hardware or WSJT-X version.  That this failure happens to so many people seems significant.  Is there a single cause or many? What can we do collectively to help fix this! Can the WSJT-X programmers add temporary hooks in the software to flag where the failure(s) occurs?
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Ed W2GHD
>
> Hi Ed,
>
> if you check the "Menu->Save->Save all" option then pick a good example of a non-decode period and send us the saved .WAV file for analysis please?

Bill Somerville

On 28/10/2020 04:52, Russ Ravella via groups.io wrote:
[...]

those three .WAV files look fine to me, I get the following decodes from them:

------------------------------------ 20m

230330 10 0.4 1847 ~ YS1GMV VE7XT R-18

230330 0 0.3 1331 ~ N2MSF AG5VE R+03

230330 7 0.3 2144 ~ JA9IFF W3MMM -08

230330 5 0.4 445 ~ CQ KF5TVG EM26  CQ Zone 4

230330 -3 0.3 900 ~ CQ KQ1S EM94  U.S.A.

230330 2 0.3 2199 ~ PP5DE K0HMZ R-16

230330 21 0.3 672 ~ YS1GMV WB0TAX EM32

230330 -8 0.3 1594 ~ KM6KJI W3DJS EM83

230330 -12 0.4 1102 ~ XL3T K4TT FN44

230330 -12 0.3 2550 ~ CQ LU5CAT GF05  SA

230330 -6 0.4 1791 ~ WA8QNN KC5TT -02

230330 -10 0.4 360 ~ YS1GMV KE0ELU -19

230330 -1 1.3 734 ~ CQ AF5DE EM25  CQ Zone 4

230330 -6 0.8 2324 ~ BU2BV KJ7OTZ CN87

230330 -8 0.3 833 ~ W7SWB WD9IQN -16

230330 -5 0.1 1642 ~ NN2T WA5VXI EM25

230330 -8 0.3 778 ~ CQ KC9VW EL29  CQ Zone 4

230330 -19 0.3 2086 ~ CQ KD9KCK EN61  CQ Zone 4

230330 -10 0.4 2332 ~ KJ4SRY VA6KL -06

230330 -6 0.4 1822 ~ KE3VV W6ASO R+01

230330 -15 0.4 1313 ~ JA0ARF KR7X R-14

230330 -9 0.5 1639 ~ NN2T AC0FS EN34

230330 -18 0.3 983 ~ BH4TVU K9RR R-16

230330 -18 0.5 1976 ~ VE2JI LW8DHX -13

230330 -18 0.5 2016 ~ KI5KSE KB4DPH EL88

230330 -24 0.1 1084 ~ W5FHW WB9MSM EN53

230330 -23 0.7 2000 ~ CQ KF0AQK EN21  CQ Zone 4

230330 -14 0.4 1648 ~ VA3TPS KD9MKR RR73

230330 -13 0.1 1608 ~ CQ KF9KV EN52  CQ Zone 4

------------------------------------ 20m

230345 -17 -0.1 1492 ~ VY1MB KN4GGH EM91

230345 -3 -1.6 1415 ~ CQ AI4QT EM74  U.S.A.

230345 -10 0.5 2275 ~ CQ W7OK CN86  CQ Zone 3

230345 -7 0.3 888 ~ KB7THX AI4VV RRR

230345 8 0.4 1638 ~ AC0FS NN2T +01

230345 0 0.6 1208 ~ WB9MSM W5FHW EM02

230345 -3 0.3 1942 ~ KB4DPH KI5KSE +06

230345 -13 0.3 2051 ~ W5CRN KB7SAT 73

230345 9 0.3 1695 ~ CQ W0WND DM97  CQ Zone 4

230345 17 0.3 530 ~ AB1WG N5LDO 73

230345 -13 0.3 2206 ~ JE3BMU N7CTB CN85

230345 6 0.4 424 ~ CO8AFG W8KEN -14

230345 -14 0.4 1890 ~ VA6KL KJ4SRY R-17

230345 -6 0.3 2795 ~ AG5VE N2MSF RR73

230345 -15 0.4 1553 ~ XP3A N4AN R-19

230345 -14 0.5 744 ~ EA5IYK VE6ATS R-11

230345 -2 0.3 575 ~ KN6ITP K4BWM FM14

230345 -4 0.4 1667 ~ J88DCP/R WB4KTF EM10

230345 -12 0.2 852 ~ KN6ITP KB4RRN EM90

230345 -17 0.3 1958 ~ KR7X JA0ARF RR73

230345 -16 0.3 900 ~ CQ KK4OMJ EM78  U.S.A.

230345 -24 0.3 1777 ~ KC4VKG N8FRI EN81

230345 -22 0.3 2054 ~ CQ N2OO FM29  U.S.A.

230345 -10 0.4 1072 ~ KD9KCK N3CKI FM03

230345 -14 0.4 1717 ~ WA2EPI <...> -08

230345 -1 0.4 628 ~ JE3BMU WA7VIZ CN92

230345 -9 0.3 1624 ~ KC9VW W0BLE EN31

230345 -10 0.4 1605 ~ KN6ITP KB8SRX 73

230345 -24 -0.1 1365 ~ CQ K3ADU FN10  a1 U.S.A.

230345 -20 0.6 1649 ~ KD9MKR VA3TPS 73

------------------------------------ 20m

230400 -18 1.0 1488 ~ HC5EG PY7YZ 73

230400 8 0.3 1331 ~ N2MSF AG5VE 73

230400 -5 0.3 900 ~ CQ KQ1S EM94  U.S.A.

230400 -1 0.1 1966 ~ N5AQM WA5VXI EM25

230400 4 0.4 445 ~ VE3XTF KF5TVG -16

230400 7 0.3 2144 ~ JA9IFF W3MMM RR73

230400 0 0.3 778 ~ CQ KC9VW EL29  CQ Zone 4

230400 1 0.3 2199 ~ PP5DE K0HMZ 73

230400 -8 0.4 360 ~ YS1GMV KE0ELU -19

230400 -12 0.3 1051 ~ N2OO KE5GXX EL17

230400 -4 0.5 1639 ~ NN2T AC0FS R+07

230400 -8 0.4 1102 ~ XL3T K4TT FN44

230400 -9 0.3 2548 ~ CQ LU5CAT GF05  SA

230400 -5 0.8 2324 ~ BU2BV KJ7OTZ CN87

230400 -15 0.3 983 ~ BH4TVU K9RR R-16

230400 5 0.4 1847 ~ YS1GMV VE7XT R-18

230400 6 0.4 1823 ~ KE3VV W6ASO R+01

230400 -13 0.3 833 ~ W7SWB WD9IQN -16

230400 -12 0.5 2015 ~ KI5KSE KB4DPH R+01

230400 -7 0.3 1313 ~ JA0ARF KR7X 73

230400 2 0.1 1791 ~ WA8QNN KC5TT -14

230400 -9 0.4 2333 ~ KJ4SRY VA6KL RR73

230400 -19 0.3 2088 ~ CQ KD9KCK EN61  CQ Zone 4

230400 -15 0.7 2000 ~ CQ KF0AQK EN21  CQ Zone 4

230400 -8 0.3 1794 ~ LU9HCO W3DJS EM83

230400 -16 0.5 1977 ~ VE2JI LW8DHX -13

230400 -15 0.2 1608 ~ CQ KF9KV EN52  CQ Zone 4

230400 -12 0.4 1649 ~ VA3TPS KD9MKR RR73

Russ Ravella

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, that’s what I was saying in my post.  Yet WSJT-X was frozen when I collected them.  This thread is asking why that’s happening.  You asked its originator to provide .wav files so I have also.  As I mentioned in my post, I also took a video which I can provide if you think it might be helpful.  The question remains, why is WSJT-X freezing ?

Thanks,
Russ KR6W

On Oct 28, 2020, at 9:05 AM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

[...]

there is a known defect in WSJT-X where the Band Activity window stops scrolling down to show them latest decodes, the defect only occurs when "Settings->General->Start new period decodes at top" is checked. It occurs after a large number of decodes are printed. You can check if this is the issue you are suffering by manually scrolling down the Band Activity window to reveal the apparently missing decodes.

You can work around this issue either by unchecking the "Settings->General->Start new period decodes at top" option or by erasing the Band Activity window periodically (right-click and select "Erase").

On 28/10/2020 21:40, Russ Ravella via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Again, thanks for the response.

No, that’s not the issue here.  I have seem that come up on the forum many times.  I’ve never used that function so never checked it and just to be complete verified again that it’s still unchecked before posting this.  This is something different, like several others have reported, and has been going on for a long long time.  After grabbing the .wav files this time I restarted WSJT-X and it’s unfrozen now but if there’s something else you’d like me to collect and send please let me know.

Thanks,
Russ KR6W

On Oct 28, 2020, at 2:45 PM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

[...]

Just following up on this - I hope you got my reply below.  Did you want me to send the video and if so, where ?

Thanks,
Russ KR6W

On Oct 28, 2020, at 8:18 PM, Russ Ravella via groups.io <rus5@...> wrote:

[...]

Just thought I’d try this one last time.

If there is some reason you don’t want to respond to this could you please just let me know so I can stop trying ?

Thanks,
Russ KR6W

On Oct 30, 2020, at 1:06 PM, Russ Ravella via groups.io <rus5@...> wrote:

[...]

Lars Berg

I had the same problem. I tried the DG2YCB clone and the decode problem is gone.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt-x-improved/files/WSJT-X_v2.3.0/

Copy from Uwe:

” - I kept the DX-optimized FT8 and FT4 decoders from previous version 2.2.2.”

The drawback is that it might be some more ghosts, but that I can live with.

Lars SM3CCM

Skickades från E-post för Windows 10