locked Receive Locking Up With Windows 10

Steven Rutledge <steven.t.rutledge@...>

I just installed the program on new Windows 10 machine.  I've been running it on Windows 7.  Install fine, same settings as Windows 7.  I find that after an indeterminate period of time, when monitoring traffic, the receive just stops.  The green signal strength level freezes.  Opening and closing the program starts it again.  Its almost like there is a buffer that is full.  I'm not running WSJT-X in conjunction with any other programs, logging, etc.  It is connected to my TS-890 via the USB cable.  I never experienced this on Windows 7.  The time that it takes for this occur varies.  I can't put my finger on anything particular.

I did a forum search but didn't find an answer there.

Thoughts?

Steve, N4JQQ

Bill Somerville

On 13/10/2020 15:42, Steven Rutledge wrote:
I just installed the program on new Windows 10 machine.  I've been running it on Windows 7.  Install fine, same settings as Windows 7.  I find that after an indeterminate period of time, when monitoring traffic, the receive just stops.  The green signal strength level freezes.  Opening and closing the program starts it again.  Its almost like there is a buffer that is full.  I'm not running WSJT-X in conjunction with any other programs, logging, etc.  It is connected to my TS-890 via the USB cable.  I never experienced this on Windows 7.  The time that it takes for this occur varies.  I can't put my finger on anything particular.

I did a forum search but didn't find an answer there.

Thoughts?

Steve, N4JQQ
Hi Steve,

which version of WSJT-X do you have installed?

Does erasing the two decode windows fix the issue?

If you go to the Windows sound control panel and select the properties of the mic/line-input device you are using for WSJT-X Rx you can go to the "Listen" tab and set up to listen to that device through the main PC speakers. If you do that you can check if the audio stream has stopped.

Roger

On 13/10/2020 15:42, Steven Rutledge wrote:
I just installed the program on new Windows 10 machine.  I've been running it on Windows 7.  Install fine, same settings as Windows 7.  I find that after an indeterminate period of time, when monitoring traffic, the receive just stops.  The green signal strength level freezes.  Opening and closing the program starts it again.  Its almost like there is a buffer that is full.  I'm not running WSJT-X in conjunction with any other programs, logging, etc.  It is connected to my TS-890 via the USB cable.  I never experienced this on Windows 7.  The time that it takes for this occur varies.  I can't put my finger on anything particular.
I did a forum search but didn't find an answer there.
Thoughts?
Steve, N4JQQ
I would have a look at the pinned posts in the group archive.

Roger
G4HZA

Steven Rutledge <steven.t.rutledge@...>

Hi Bill.  2.2.2 is the version, clearing the decode screens does not clear up the problem.  I'm brand new to Windows 10.  I'll have to figure out how to listen to the audio.  AND find the pinned posts in the archive section which Roger, G4HZA, in the next post alludes might have the answer.  I guess that is what he is inferring?

Steve, N4JQQ

Steve marsh (M0NMA)

I am guessing that this is the post G4HZA is referring to, rather than the post on setting audio levels?

https://wsjtx.groups.io/g/main/topic/windows_audio_and_sleep_mode/76939061?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,76939061

Steve M0NMA

Steven Rutledge <steven.t.rutledge@...>

Curious if anyone else is having this problem, receive locking up on the latest version of WSJT-X.  I am running it on a new Windows 10 Dell.  No other programs on the machine.  There is no rhyme or reason as to when this happens.  It will receive for hours and then it will receive for only minutes.  I have to close the program and open again.  It is becoming incredibly annoying and now starting to interfere with normal ops here.  Getting worse, not better.

Could it be the result of "Windows 10 Breaking Computers" as described in yesterday's news stories?

Steve, N4JQQ

Kyle K7UU

Your new PC is most likely set to allow the computer to turn off USB devices to save power. Check the Power Management tab of all your USB devices in Device Manager.

Kyle
K7KE

Steven Rutledge <steven.t.rutledge@...>

Thanks to all who responded to this cry for help.  It only took me a little over a week to figure out that it apparently, I hope, was the sleep mode on my new Windows 10 machine.  I didn't know there was such a thing.  I knew about the screensaver.  I'm no IT guy.  So, it looks like I'm back in business with the program running as long as the computer doesn't go into the sleep mode.  Frustrating though.

73 and gud DX,

Steve, N4JQQ

Steven Rutledge <steven.t.rutledge@...>

Belay my last.  It went for about eight hours with sleep and screensaver disabled.  Locked up again.  Back to the drawing board.

Steve, N4JQQ

alex

Unfortunately I encounter the same problems. On Windows 10, no screen or any other energy savings enabled. I keep my system turned or for spotting during the night and 24/24. Sometimes WSJT-X v2.2.2 stalls after just an hour, other moments it stops after 48 hours. The only thing I can find (as I added and debugged CAT to the uSDX firmware) is that there is an issue with the CAT communication. Some commands are repeated in a very high pace before the radio is able respond. These command are not only during ham's interaction with the radio, but also autonomous (e.g. checking frequency etc). Maybe this is something to check.

73's Alex, PE1EVX

Steven Rutledge <steven.t.rutledge@...>

I have still not been able to stop 2.2.2 from locking up on my Dell Inspiron Windows 10 machine.  Clearing the screens doesn't work.  I thought there might be a buffer limit.  Tried various power management schemes.  Sometimes it will run for two hours, other times for 15 minutes.  There is no correlation to run time.  When it locks up, the green receive bar stops at the level it was receiving signals so I don't think the audio is disappearing.  Appears to be a software issue of some sort.  Unfortunately, I do not have the extensive IT experience some of you guys have who are able to dig into the brain of their computers to figure this out.  I'm hoping someone with a Dell might be having the same problem and can give me some guidance.  This is making my enjoyment of FT8, etc., dwindle quite rapidly.  Never occurred on Windows 7.  Started right off with my new Windows 10 machine which everyone warned me not to buy.  :)))))))

73,

Steve, N4JQQ

Paul Hamilton <Ke7uae@...>

Linux.😁
73,
Paul, KE7UAE

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020, 6:52 AM Steven Rutledge <steven.t.rutledge@...> wrote:
[...]

JP Tucson, AZ

Hey Steve,

Why don't you try deleting v2.2.2 & download the newer v2.3.0 rc1 perhaps it will run better. V2.2.2 has had some issues...

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020, 7:52 AM Steven Rutledge <steven.t.rutledge@...> wrote:
[...]

Russ Ravella

Good luck getting a response to this issue Steve. I’ve been trying (again) for weeks. Others have too.  I can’t even get a response to the question, “Is there some reason they don’t WANT to reply to this particular subject?”

Crickets

On Nov 7, 2020, at 8:15 AM, JP Tucson, AZ <samcat88az@...> wrote:

[...]

Russ,

there's not much point offering a reply until the cause of the issue is known. There are thousands of WSJT-X users able to operate without this issue which tends to infer that the issue is related to local issues on the PC running WSJT-X.

One known issue with Dell machines is a problem with the system service Dell Support Assist Remediation. I am not sure if Dell have addressed this long standing issue yet. The issue is a memory leak within that service application which causes it to consume all of the available memory after an extended period of system uptime. The consequence of this memory leak is that all other applications run very slowly despite no obvious excess CPU usage by any application or system service. There are several guides on how to recognize this particular issue. For example:

I can't find the Dell forum post that included the official way to solve this particular issue, but it was something like uninstall "Support Assist", "Support Assist Agent", and "Support Assist Remediation" then after a restart re-install all but "Support Assist Remediation".

Note I am not saying the above is your issue, just that this sort of thing is what you might look for.

On 07/11/2020 19:50, Russ Ravella via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Lance Collister, W7GJ

Hi Steve,

Based on some of the other previous answers to this problem, I think it may have something to do with the audio stream. First, I would make sure that you have done all the system updates from DELL and then also all the updates from Microsoft. Assuming that the computer is 64 bit, make sure you have downloaded the 64 bit version of WSJT-X for Windows. And make sure your Windows sound card settings are for 48000 Hz sampling rate for whatever sound card you are using.

After that, if you are still having problems and are using only the built-in sound card, you might try an inexpensive USB sound card. I have had good success running this for example:

https://www.amazon.com/TROND-Headphone-Microphone-Plug-N-Play-Compatible/dp/B00XUPX2H0 <https://www.amazon.com/TROND-Headphone-Microphone-Plug-N-Play-Compatible/dp/B00XUPX2H0>

GL and VY 73, Lance

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ, V6M, T8GJ, VK9CGJ, VK9XGJ, C21GJ, CP1GJ, S79GJ, TX7MB)
P.O. Box 73

page (above)!

Russ Ravella

Hi Bill,

THANKS FOR A RESPONSE !!

I agree it seems clear the issue we’re reporting is not wide spread. But it is widespread enough that several users have reported it now for quite a while. Even a response along the lines of, “We don’t know what’s causing this. Here are some thoughts…” as you just provided is very much appreciated.

As I mentioned in previous attempts to seek help for this, I made a video showing what is happening in my case and would be happy to forward it if desired. Although it probably doesn’t contain any useful clues (though I’m not qualified to assess that), it at least shows what’s happening.

I actually AM running on a Dell computer so your suggestion was right on target. However I don’t think it’s the cause in my particular case because nothing else is affected. I always have a full-boat DXLab Suite implementation running, often along with a fair amount of other stuff that continues to run exactly as before during the freeze. And I had the issue on the Win10 HP laptop the Dell replaces as well. I know you said your suggestion might not be my problem but I just wanted to provide this data point indicating something is going on that doesn’t seem to be caused by that particular Dell issue.

I’ve provided the .wav you asked another poster on this issue for and I have the video. Is there anything else I can generate that could help ? Please let me know.

Again, thanks very much for the response !!
Russ KR6W

On Nov 7, 2020, at 2:33 PM, Lance Collister, W7GJ <w7gj@...> wrote:

[...]

Phil Davidson

Hi Steve.

Have you tried looking at the Windows ‘event viewer’?

This may give some clues as to whats going on?

Regards – Phil (G0DOR, QTHR)

Sent from Mail for Windows 10