locked [v2.2.2] Failure to log contest QSOs #ContestMode #IssueReport

Martin G0HDB

Running v2.2.2 on a PC with 32-bit Win 7 Pro.

Last night (Mon 28th Sept) I was operating in the RSGB FT4 contest, which uses the NA VHF 'special operating activity' option, and I encountered an effect that puzzled me, although I believe I may have seen it previously in sessions of the RSGB contest earlier in the year (and possibly also in other FT8/FT4 contests)...

At the conclusion of each QSO the 'Log QSO' window popped up and I either clicked on the OK button or just hit the Enter key, to log the QSO.  I would then see the QSO appear in the 'Contest Log' window that was open, and the QSO was also logged by the Logger32 program that I use in conjunction with WSJT-X.  However...

After making maybe 15-20 QSOs I followed the above procedure at the end of another QSO and suddenly spotted that the just-completed QSO with G0ORE hadn't appeared in the Contest Log window although Logger32 had successfully logged it.  At this point I realised that the 'Rx Frequency' window on the RHS of the main screen hadn't been cleared for a quite a while so I cleared it and continued in the contest.  When I hit the OK button to log the next QSO I observed that the QSO *did* appear in the Contest Log window, as expected, and thereafter everything proceded normally again.

My initial reaction when I noticed that a QSO hadn't appeared in the Contest Log was that I'd either not hit or clicked on the 'OK' button in the Log QSO pop-up window but with hindsight I'm fairly sure that wasn't the case because I think I've got the operating procedure pretty much off to a fine art (although finger trouble isn't unknown!), so I began to wonder if the cause of a QSO not appearing in the Contest Log window might have been something to do with the fact that the Rx Frequency window was getting full - could there be some sort of overflow occurring?

After the contest was over I checked the WSJTX_LOG.ADI  file and sure enough the file didn't include the QSO with G0ORE; subsequent inspection of the ALL.TXT file showed that the exchanges between me and G0ORE were correctly and fully recorded, so I was then able to reconstruct the QSO with G0ORE in the WSJTX_LOG.ADI log file and also in the Cabrillo file I'd generated for the contest.

I believe there was a known defect associated with an overflow sort of situation in the Band Activity window, which makes me wonder if something similar happens with the Rx Frequency window that results in contest (and also maybe non-contest) QSOs not getting logged when there's a lot of history information in the Rx Frequency window.  Certainly, after I noticed that my QSO with G0ORE hadn't appeared in the Contest Log window I made a point of regularly clearing the Rx Frequency window and the problem of a QSO not getting logged never reoccurred.

Has anyone else observed any logging anomalies when the Rx Frequency window hasn't been cleared for a while?

Martin G0HDB

JP Tucson, AZ <samcat88az@...>

Martin,

That you are in a contest mode isn't the issue. It does this in the main log portion too on regular qso's!

I have mentioned this, told them that I have lost valuable qso's (perhaps 2 or 3 out of every 100 or so), and was promptly told I was nuts, lying, etc.

Well, I am not making it up & neither are you! It damned thing has bugs & the deniers are prevalent. (It should also be noted that my post was deleted about 20 min. after posting it!)

Perhaps the new version has been fixed, but I didn't see anything mentioned in the release notes about it & I haven't ran the new version with enough qso's to see if any "disapear" (really never logged in the first place).  Unfortunately also, I usually don't realize it didn't log until I get a confirmation request & find no data.

Most recently, during the Lightbulb QSO Party, I had made a qso with a station in Hawaii & not only was it not  logged on my side, but it wasn't logged on his either!  But hey, no big deal... it was only a 3209 mile QSO using a Light bulb for an antenna! So not important at all, right?   Urrrrrgh!

I was so pissed off, I actually deleted wsjtx for a few weeks until a friend asked me to help him verify some antenna issues.

73 - John - N7GH

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020, 9:19 AM Martin G0HDB <marting0hdb@...> wrote:
[...]

Bill Somerville

John,

to save you repeating the detailed information about your apparently ignored issue report, please provide a link to your original post please?

On 29/09/2020 17:49, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:
[...]

Tom Melvin

John

Just looked back in the archive as I have NEVER heard/see messages being ‘deleted’ in this group.

There is a thread from August

That you started, and a few replies to it - one request was to look in ALL.TXT file but despite it being a small size you had issues in opening it to see if the missing QSO(s) were present.  The thread then went off on a tangent dealing with archiving so we never saw your reply.

I am not saying there is a defect or not - that is up to the developers, assuming they get helpful information from users. I must say I have not seen very many report here or on other groups to indicate it happens on a regular basis. If there is something there then feeding back observations to this group.   Your post just now seems to be on the negative side.

Tom

Tom
GM8MJV (IO85)

On 29 Sep 2020, at 17:49, JP Tucson, AZ <samcat88az@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Rhodes / W8DN

John,
  "not only was it not  logged on my side, but it wasn't logged on his either!"

Since you have absolutely NO influence on what gets logged on "his side" of the contact then it would seem obvious that the contact was never completed. Therefore, it is not going to show up in the log.

Mike / W8DN

JP Tucson, AZ <samcat88az@...>

No, those "facts" are incorrect.

My all.txt file was too large.

And you don't see the rest of the msgs.; because they were deleted (or 'moderated').

Whatever, I am not going to argue further. Fix it, don't fix it, deny a problem exits... but by all means, keep telling the users we are idiots! I have seen that several times in the past couple of days with other users, so this isn't a personal thing; it's a systemic problem.  Much like the "fake news" garbage.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020, 10:13 AM Tom Melvin <tom@...> wrote:
[...]

Well, there's an assumption... that doesn't hold water.

The rest of the story...

I found out weeks later, that another ham I know & had worked that same evening also using the light bulb antenna, captured that QSO on his side and saw both myself & the guy in Hawaii give full responses & complete the QSO. So, it was in fact a double failure to log in the wsjtx & .adi files, yet captured by the all.txt file. It took a while, but after I was able to split & read my all.txt log, there it was. Unfortunately, the guy in HI is one of those hard-heads who refuses to log it from that data ("I don't have time").

So, bottom line... the QSO was completed & it was recorded, but the flawed log system is just that! Buggy!

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020, 10:23 AM Mike Rhodes <weightdn@...> wrote:
John,
  "not only was it not  logged on my side, but it wasn't logged on his either!"

Since you have absolutely NO influence on what gets logged on "his side" of the contact then it would seem obvious that the contact was never completed. Therefore, it is not going to show up in the log.

Mike / W8DN

Bill Lederer

I have had QSOs lost, but the major reason was the way I was invoking WSJTX. It would occasionally crash, and the adi file would not conntain the QSO. Could be reconstructed from the ALL.TXT.  In fact, I am writing a program to parse ALL.TXT to determine  a number of things, one of which is QSOs that are not in the .adi file.

I had another very rare occurrence where the "Log this QSO" dialog box came up but got hidden.  WSJTX continued and other QSOs happened, but I realized after the fact that they had not been logged.  Turns out that the Log QSO window was *behind* the other window. Recovering that, it logged the original qso, but apparently not the ones behind it.

But in general, so far as one year of operating tells me, the number of non-logged QSOs here has been very minimal.

w8lvn

--
--w8lvn--

Martin G0HDB

Apologies for replying to my own original posting but I need to make a small corection to it...

I've just realised that my QSO with G0ORE that didn't get logged into either the Contest Log window or into the wsjtx_log.adi file also *wasn't* automatically logged into Logger32 - I remember now that I had to add the QSO manually into Logger32 after the end of the contest, so my original statement was incorrect in this respect.

This of course does raise the possibility (or even likeliihood!) that the apparent failure to log the QSO with G0ORE was indeed caused by operator finger trouble rather than something not working quite as it should in the WSJT-X app, but as I mentioned in my original posting I feel I have encountered this or a similar issue previously - I'm fairly sure I've had a few reverse Not-in-Logs in some of the UBN reports I've received for my digimode contest entries.  This would mean that another station had claimed a QSO with me but there wasn't a matching QSO in my log.  I'll have to see if I can find any of those and perhaps see what was recorded in my ALL.TXT file.

To address the point raised by John N7GH, I don't recall ever suspecting that a regular non-contest QSO made using WSJT-X in any mode has failed to be logged, but I'll keep an eye open for such occurrences.

--
Martin G0HDB

Bill Somerville

On 29/09/2020 21:16, Martin G0HDB wrote:
[...]

Hi Martin,

thanks for the clarification, that is somewhat less worrying as it can be explained by teh "Ok" never being clicked on the Log QSO dialog. I'm not saying that's what happened, but at least the chain of events, or lack of them, is internally consistent.

As for the "reverse NIL" cases, if your ALL.TXT shows a completed exchange that should have been logged your end, then that is an issue, OTOH it is not uncommon for QSO partners to log a QSO prematurely and never attempt to ensure the QSO is complete from your perspective.

Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA <drew@...>

John,

This isn't a mater of believe or not believe.  To fix a problem, the developer needs to be able to reproduce it.  To reproduce it, he needs information from you.  Sometimes that information may be a pain in the neck for you to obtain.  It's up to you to decide it it's worth the effort.  If it is, keep answering questions until resolution is reached.  If it isn't, drop it wihtout predjudice.  You should expect the deveoper to suggest common misuse cases as a likely scenario for you to investigate.  He'd be foolish not to do that, as it is the usual cause.  Being insulted by that fact is unproductive.

Screaming that you have a problem and "they won't fix it" is naive and won't help anyone.

73,

Drew K3PA

Geza Szabados-Hann

Hi all,
The reason of popping up th e"Log this QSO" dialog, is the incorrect reaction of WSJT-X when receiving unsolicided R-Reports, or receiving R-Report confirming "old" reports. It happens if a stations repeats his R-Report several time and during this time the called station makes a QSO with another station. At the end of the QSO it receives the R-Report which confirms the report was already sent to the another station. The correct behaviour in this situation (which is obvously detected by WSJT-X) would be IMHO, instead of opening the Log dialog to send a new report forcing the station to confirm the new (correct) sequence number.

DG5LP