Topics

Is it possible/acceptable to use EU VHF Contest mode for other contests?

Ed Durrant

I see that the EU VHF Contest mode in WSJTx has two very interesting differences to normal operation,
1. the ability to send and receive a serial number and
2. the conversion from dB values into RST.

I'm not interested in the second, but am in the first.

Does WSJTx maintain a contact sequence number for every contact and increment it automatically?

I can't seem to find where this happens - perhaps it's automatic and I don't have to worry about it?

Also, I would be interested to know where in WSJTx the control of what is taken from the Adif log to create the Cabrillo one is defined as I see in the Adi file fields that are not transferred to the Cabrillo file which I require.

73  Ed DD5LP.

Sam Birnbaum

Hi,

The serial number is incremented automatically. It start with the number of records that are already in the contest log. It you clear the contest log at the beginning of the contest iit will start with One (1). It then increments it as it logs the QSOs

73,

Sam W2JDB

I see that the EU VHF Contest mode in WSJTx has two very interesting differences to normal operation,
1. the ability to send and receive a serial number and
2. the conversion from dB values into RST.

I'm not interested in the second, but am in the first.

Does WSJTx maintain a contact sequence number for every contact and increment it automatically?

I can't seem to find where this happens - perhaps it's automatic and I don't have to worry about it?

Also, I would be interested to know where in WSJTx the control of what is taken from the Adif log to create the Cabrillo one is defined as I see in the Adi file fields that are not transferred to the Cabrillo file which I require.

73  Ed DD5LP.

Bill Somerville

On 09/09/2020 16:26, Ed Durrant wrote:
I see that the EU VHF Contest mode in WSJTx has two very interesting differences to normal operation,
1. the ability to send and receive a serial number and
2. the conversion from dB values into RST.

I'm not interested in the second, but am in the first.

Does WSJTx maintain a contact sequence number for every contact and increment it automatically?

I can't seem to find where this happens - perhaps it's automatic and I don't have to worry about it?

Also, I would be interested to know where in WSJTx the control of what is taken from the Adif log to create the Cabrillo one is defined as I see in the Adi file fields that are not transferred to the Cabrillo file which I require.

73  Ed DD5LP.
Hi Ed,

there's no problem with using it for any contest that has compatible rules. You missed 2 important features, it uses 6 character Maidenhead Locators, and it allows the use of /P suffixes. Those are really the reason for the mode. The signal reports are coarse in resolution and derived from SNR estimates rather than any attempt to meet any reporting convention. Only the S part is variable. At least they have some basis of signal strength rather than being 59/599 regardless of actual received signal strength to avoid logging errors.

As with all the special operation modes supported by WSJT-X we strongly recommend that they be used on frequencies that do not overlap with regular operations, to avoid confusion, and inconvenience to non-contest operators. Contest organizers should make efforts to specify such frequencies and if possible draw up rules that encourage their use.

The Cabrillo entry file uses only the fields in the Contest Log window for QSOs, it is maintained separately from the main ADIF log, the Contest Log table has all exchanged information.

Hi Sam and Ed,

that is not quite correct. The Tx contest serial number starts at one and is reset to one when the Contest Log is cleared ("Menu->File->Reset Cabrillo Log"). It is incremented by one after each successful QSO is logged. The user may change the serial number at any time using the spin box control labelled "Tx#". The current value of the Tx serial number is persisted between sessions.

On 09/09/2020 16:29, Sam Birnbaum via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Hi Bill and Ed,

During my testing for the visually impaired, I never focused on the spin edit box which indeed starts up with a value of one (1). However, the 4 digit sequence number following the signal report was always based on the number of records in the contest log which I did not clear between contests as I tested them. In any event in my haste in answering Ed, I was remis in mentioning the leading 2 digit signal report that is derived from the SNR value.

Here is the translation that I use in QLog to translate the SNR to RST, of course it only used the leading 2 digits

  -999..-19 ->   Result := 529;
    -18..-13 ->   Result := 539;
    -12..-07 ->   Result := 549;
    -06..-01 ->   Result := 559;
          0..5  ->   Result := 569;
        6..11  ->   Result := 579;
       12..17 ->   Result := 589;
           >17 ->   Result := 599;
That seems to work as it corresponds to what WSJT-X sends out.

73,

Sam W2JDB