Protocol errors #install

Edited

EDIT:
I thought I needed to install the Virtual Comm Port software from silicon Labs (linked to from Kenwood).

I downloaded the source and tried to compile it. The makefile brings in another makefile buried in the Linux headers. There is no makefile at that location so the build stops at that point. I tried re-downloading the headers and even downloaded headers that are very near to the kernel version I have (4.19.0-10-686-pae). Still no makefile at the location the VCP software is looking at.

Command:
sudo make

Response:
make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M= modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-10-686-pae'
/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-10-common/scripts/Makefile.build:45: /usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-10-common/scripts/basic/Makefile: No such file or directory
make[5]: *** No rule to make target '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-10-common/scripts/basic/Makefile'.  Stop.
make[4]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-10-common/Makefile:466: scripts_basic] Error 2
/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-10-common/Makefile:616: include/config/auto.conf.cmd: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-10-common/Makefile:628: include/config/auto.conf.cmd] Error 2
make[2]: *** [Makefile:146: sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: *** [Makefile:8: all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.19.0-10-686-pae'
make: *** [Makefile:8: all] Error 2

--------------------------------

I'm getting a message: Subprocess failed with exit code 2. Clicking OK aborts WSJT-X.

As for 32/64 bit OS, anytime I try to install 64 bit OS I get an error during initial boot of the 64 bit media that I'm trying to install 64 bit OS on 32 bit hardware. This includes Ubuntu and Debian.

I'll try recompiling without hamlib.
--------------------------------------
I re-downloaded and compiled but am getting errors.
Command
wget -O - https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-2.2.2.tgz|tar -xvz
Result: Success

Command
sudo make
Result:
Success

Command
sudo make install
Result
Success

When I start the program, about 1 second later I get an error "Subprocess failed with exit code 2".
There is an OK button and a window close button. Either button will cause the entire application to terminate.

Just now I started wsjt-x and quickly made certain the USB port is correct.
A few seconds later I get this message:
Running: /usr/local/bin/jt9 -s WSJT-X -w 1 -m 3 -e /usr/local/bin -a /home/larry/.local/share/WSJT-X -t /tmp/WSJT-X
At line 28 of file /home/larry/software/sources/wsjtx-2.2.2/wsjtx-prefix/src/wsjtx/lib/ft8/baseline.f90
Fortran runtime error: Index '-98281' of dimension 1 of array 's' below lower bound of 1

Error termination. Backtrace:
#0  0xb63d674b
#1  0xb63d725e
#2  0xb63d7578
#3  0x569546
#4  0x564192
#5  0x548a49
#6  0x4fb68f
#7  0x4f0f36
#8  0x4e8d22
#9  0x4e74b6
#10  0x4e683b
#11  0xb5e71b40
#12  0x4e68c0
#13  0xffffffff

I had WSJT-X version 2.2.2 compiled from sources working great on Ubuntu 18.04. I have switched to a clean fresh install of Debian 10 (Buster) (32 bit) with KDE desktop.

The radio is a Kenwood TS-590SG.

I'm a member of tty and dialout groups. I also made a system group called wheel that myself and root are both members of. I do not run FLDigi, just WSJT-X on /dev/ttyUSB0 with CAT control.

I've gone through everything I know to do. Perhaps someone can steer me in the right direction.

uname: Linux capricorn 4.19.0-10-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 4.19.132-1 (2020-07-24) i686 GNU/Linux

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Release:        10
Codename:       buster

Bill Somerville

On 08/09/2020 09:30, Larry Crouch wrote:
I had WSJT-X version 2.2.2 compiled from sources working great on Ubuntu 18.04. I have switched to a clean fresh install of Debian 10 (Buster) (32 bit) with KDE desktop.

I'm a member of tty and dialout groups. I also made a system group called wheel that myself and root are both members of. I do not run FLDigi, just WSJT-X on /dev/ttyUSB0 with CAT control.

Once started of re-configured, the program will run for about 1 second and then pops up an error either protocol timeout or protocol error.

Thinking it might help I downloaded hamlib, compiled it and then compiled WSJT-X against hamlib.

I've gone through everything I know to do. Perhaps someone can steer me in the right direction.
Larry,

what rig are yo using and what is the text of the text of the error error messages you are getting, including the details?

R Gape

Larry,

there is no need to link against a local Hamlib. I have had success building the statically linked WSJT-X package. (The latest package is 2.2.2, btw.) That avoids any issues of library incompatibility in terms of not quite being at the same development stage.

The compressed tar file includes the necessary source, and the makefile "just works".

Since your processor supports 64 bit operation (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/53426/intel-core-i3-2120-processor-3m-cache-3-30-ghz.html), I would be very tempted to install 64 bit Debian (or Ubuntu), and then recompile WSJT-X. As the final operation rather than:

sudo make install

the command would be:

make package

That will make a .deb package, such as wsjtx_2.2.2_amd64.deb, located in <working directory>/build/wsjtx-prefix/src/wsjtx-build, which can be installed, and easily removed, using gdebi (or at the command line if one insists).

Noting all that, there may be some more basic issues. Does flrig (should be in the distribution repo) work correctly? Is everything set up correctly on the TS590SG? Are there any other USB serial devices on your machine?

HTH, 73, Stay Safe,

Robin, G8DQX

PS: I found the information at https://www.kk5jy.net/wsjtx-build/ useful to get started. It will need some adaptation (not been updated for Buster, for instance) but it does have the stanza required for building the statically linked WSJT-X. So libjpeg9-dev as a build dependency becomes libjpeg-dev, there may well be other changes!

[...]

Cpuinfo: processor       : 3
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 42
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz
stepping        : 7
microcode       : 0x1b
cpu MHz         : 1596.326
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt tsc_deadline_timer xsave avx lahf_lm epb pti tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid xsaveopt dtherm arat pln pts
bugs            : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf mds swapgs itlb_multihit
bogomips        : 6584.82
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

#0  0xb63d674b
#1  0xb63d725e
#2  0xb63d7578
#3  0x569546
#4  0x564192
#5  0x548a49
#6  0x4fb68f
#7  0x4f0f36
#8  0x4e8d22
#9  0x4e74b6
#10  0x4e683b
#11  0xb5e71b40
#12  0x4e68c0
#13  0xffffffff
Hi Larry,

I haven't checked it detail, but these kind of errors can happen with extremes of data. It may be that your audio is not hooked up correctly and WSJT-X is receiving silence.

K5DOG

I am using Windows 10 with wsjt-x v2.2.2.  I get the crash with "Subprocess failed with exit code 2". any time a decode is attempted when my receive frequency exceeds 4272 hz. in JT65-C mode.
I am unsure about other modes.  I am using a TS-2000x and I open the receiver to 5000 hz audio passband for the wide doppler on 23 cm JT65-C EME,
I suggest you examine the WSJT-X.ini.  Look near the bottom in the section labeled [Common]. See if "RxFreq" is large.  If so, change it to perhaps 1500, save, and try to start wsjt-x.

Hope this is a help.  Please let me know if it is.

My wsjt-x.ini [Common] section:
[Common]
Mode=JT65
ModeTx=JT65