Solar Panel Charger/Regulator that is friendly to weak-signal Wsjtx ??

KD7YZ Bob

I need to buy a Solar Panel, decent, Charger/Regulator for a couple of
my 3-foot solar panels.

I have heard some of the guys moan about sunrise when all the yuppies'
roof-mounted panels see first-light each morning .... and then the
Amateur radio weak-signal chap must leave the airwaves until Darkness
due to excessive regulator-noise.

So what's a tested brand ??

thanks

Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

Bob KD7YZ in NE Kentucky

JP Tucson, AZ <samcat88az@...>

It also depends on what battery type/chemistry you have.

Do a google search for "rf quiet charge controller" +"(x battery type)"

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020, 2:41 PM KD7YZ Bob <kd7yz@...> wrote:
I need to buy a Solar Panel, decent, Charger/Regulator for a couple of
my 3-foot solar panels.

I have heard some of the guys moan about sunrise when all the yuppies'
roof-mounted panels see first-light each morning .... and then the
Amateur radio weak-signal chap must leave the airwaves until Darkness
due to excessive regulator-noise.

So what's a tested brand ??

thanks

Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

Bob KD7YZ in NE Kentucky

d_ziolkowski

Bob

I use this one

I have not noticed any issues over a year in use, my panels are about 75' from my 43 ft Vert.

YMMV.

Dan KC2STA

--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T

Ted

Harbor Freight !!!

On 9/7/2020 17:49, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:
It also depends on what battery type/chemistry you have.
for this project only, lead acid's .. from the Ford 4x4 farm tractor;
and garden roto-tillers, and and and .. over-winter ..every year I have
to replace batteries, as not matter what I think I'll do, I don't charge
them enough over-winter and the myriad sub-freezing day/nites.

Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

Bob KD7YZ in NE Kentucky

KD7YZ Bob

On 9/7/2020 17:51, d_ziolkowski wrote:
Bob

I use this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NPDWZJ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NPDWZJ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1>
fine by me, I'll read the specs and capacity .. many thanks.

Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

Bob KD7YZ in NE Kentucky

JP Tucson, AZ <samcat88az@...>

In that case Bob, grab yourself some of those 1.5 Watt solar panels that plug into a vehicle's cigarette lighter plug. No controller needed & they will trickle charge the battery all day!

I have one on my truck which I don't start often anymore & one that charges my 12v power pack/jump starter/battery backup for part of my ham station.

You can get those @ Harbor Freight, Walmart, Amazon, etc.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On 9/8/2020 06:36, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:
In that case Bob, grab yourself some of those 1.5 Watt solar panels that
plug into a vehicle's cigarette lighter plug.
I'll stop by HF. Though in the case of the tractors and Winter, they
are in the barn and it wouldn't be practical to get the panels out into
the sunlight. thanks for the thought though.

Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

Bob KD7YZ in NE Kentucky

JP Tucson, AZ <samcat88az@...>

You can use 25 foot extensions & mount the panel(s) outside.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020, 4:37 AM KD7YZ Bob <kd7yz@...> wrote:
On 9/8/2020 06:36, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:
> In that case Bob, grab yourself some of those 1.5 Watt solar panels that
> plug into a vehicle's cigarette lighter plug.

I'll stop by HF.  Though in the case of the tractors and Winter, they
are in the barn and it wouldn't be practical to get the panels out into
the sunlight. thanks for the thought though.

Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

Bob KD7YZ in NE Kentucky

Kai-KE4PT

Please also see:
Tony Brock-Fisher, K1KP, "Can Home Solar Power and Ham Radio Coexist?", Apr 2016 - QST (Pg. 33)
For a viable solar power design. Tony walks us through what needs to be done to suppress the RFI in a home system.
Kind regards,
Kai Siwiak, KE4PT

On 9/7/2020 17:49, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:
It also depends on what battery type/chemistry you have.

Do a google search for "rf quiet charge controller" +"(x battery type)"

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020, 2:41 PM KD7YZ Bob <kd7yz@...> wrote:
I need to buy a Solar Panel, decent, Charger/Regulator for a couple of
my 3-foot solar panels.

I have heard some of the guys moan about sunrise when all the yuppies'
roof-mounted panels see first-light each morning .... and then the
Amateur radio weak-signal chap must leave the airwaves until Darkness
due to excessive regulator-noise.

So what's a tested brand ??

thanks

Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

Bob KD7YZ in NE Kentucky

Dave W6OQ

KD7YZ:

You might want to try putting your assortment of batteries on a battery tender device, you just connect, plug in to power and forget them until spring. But be careful of cheap ones, I have seen reports of them going bad and ruining the battery due to overcharging. I have a Stanley Fatmax that I have used for several years, it has settings for both automotive and motorcycle batteries and claims an 8 amp charge rate if the battery is low when you connect it.