TS2000 and signal link problem

Sam Birnbaum

HI All,

I am trying to help a blind lady ham in the UK connect her TS2000 to WSJT-X.
I have CAT control working without a problem.

We are running into a problem with the signal link connection.
It seems that there is no audio coming through the signal link.
If there is anyone out there that is using the TS2000 with WSJT-X could
you forward me the all the appropriate menu settings in the TS2000.

The appropriate Audio In/Out are already set in WSJT-X.

We have menus 50b and 50c set to 8 and still no audio out and no
signals on the waterfall

If I switch audio in to the internal mike, WSJT-X does decode via the
audio from the radio speaker so I know that WSJT-X is working properly.

Any help would be appreciated

73,

Sam W2JDB

Bill Somerville

On 05/09/2020 15:28, Sam Birnbaum via groups.io wrote:
HI All,

I am trying to help a blind lady ham in the UK connect her TS2000 to WSJT-X.
I have CAT control working without a problem.

We are running into a problem with the signal link connection.
It seems that there is no audio coming through the signal link.
If there is anyone out there that is using the TS2000 with WSJT-X could
you forward me the all the appropriate menu settings in the TS2000.

The appropriate Audio In/Out are already set in WSJT-X.

We have menus 50b and 50c set to 8 and still no audio out and no
signals on the waterfall

If I switch audio in to the internal mike, WSJT-X does decode via the
audio from the radio speaker so I know that WSJT-X is working properly.

Any help would be appreciated

73,

Sam W2JDB

Hi Sam,

what do you have checked for "Settings->Radio->PTT Method"?

Sam Birnbaum

Hi Bill,

PTT is Cat and is working properly.
Initially she the radio settings to none and PTT to VOX.
Was able to key the radio, but  did not have any audio coming back.
I changed the radio to TS2000 and made sure that CAT was working.

Baud rate is set to 9600 which I believe is the correct setting for the SignalLink.

OI also tried setting Mode to USB then tried Data/Pkt, no audio.

A friend of mine had his TS2000 working with WSJT-X and signallink so I know that it should work
Unfortunately , he no longer has the TS2000 hooked up so he can't check the settings.

There might be a problem in the cable connection to the TS2000 but there is no way that I can test for that on my end.

73,

Sam W2JDB

[...]

use VOX. The TS-2000 must be keyed via the ACC socket to pick up audio from the same socket and mute the mic input, let the SignaLink USB do the PTT. This assumes the correct configuration board wiring is set up in the SignaLink USB.

On 05/09/2020 15:57, Sam Birnbaum via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Will do when I get back back from the park.

Sam W2JDB

[...]

Georgina Joyce

Hello,

Just to add, I have tried 3 different USB to SL leads, with the same result. I only have one SL-CAB-13K cable purchased from ML&S here in the UK a few weeks ago.

Thanks,

On 5 Sep 2020, at 15:57, Sam Birnbaum via groups.io <w2jdb@...> wrote:

[...]

Georgina

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259
Allstar: 52178
Locater: IO83PS

Joe Subich, W4TV

I only have one SL-CAB-13K cable purchased from ML&S here in the UK a
few weeks ago.
Be careful with *any* cable with a 13 pin DIN connector (like ACC2
in Kenwood transceivers or the ACC jack on the "small" Icoms). It
is possible to connect the 13 pin DIN plug "upside down" (rotated
180 degrees). When that happens, the expected connections are not
made - PTT via the ACC2 jack, audio in/audio out, etc. will not
work!

Check the ACC2 plug (DIN13) carefully before connecting it. The TS-2000
ACC2 jack has its keyway at the *bottom* of the rig with pin 13 as the
lone pin on the top row of the plug/connector. Because the key in the
plug often does not extend to the very edge of the shell, it it possible
to insert the plug into the socket such that pin 13 enters the keyway
and pins 1-12 of the plug connect (backward) to pins 12-1 of the socket.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

[...]

d_ziolkowski

Sam-

the Signalink is not a CAT device, therefore it does not have a baud rate.

it is an audio card, with a PTT for transmit, and as Bill has said, use VOX.

It does have a monitor output on rear which can be monitored for proper audio out of the signalink with a headset.

Dan KC2STA

--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T

Sam Birnbaum

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the information. I will follow up with Georgina and set PTT to VOX and see what happens.
AS I mentioned in my previous email, before I setup CAT control, it was set to VOX and there was no audio out from the TS2000 through the Signallink. I will check again.

Thankyou all for the replies and information. I will certainly let the group know if we were successful.

73,

Sam W2JDB

--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T

Karl Beckman WA8NVW - AFA5VB

Georgina and Sam -
For the TS2000 the radio PTT setting in WSJT MUST be VOX because normal CAT PTT always mutes the ACC2 audio.
Set the WSJTx software CAT baud rate to match the radio in Menu 56. I run 57.6 kbps here for all ham software apps that talk CAT to the TS-2000, but 38.4 kbps works OK also, but 19.2 and below are too slow for some logging apps.
Menus 20 and 21 should both be OFF to get flat audio response.
Menu 22 Tx DSP bandwidth should be set for 3.0 kHz.
The front panel controls for receiver DSP should be set for Low rolloff at 200 Hz and High rolloff at 3 kHz. Not ideal for voice, but great for WSJT.
I also set Menu 13 Tx Monitor level to 1 so I can hear the Tx Audio tone is getting to the radio. If/when it annoys you, there's a dedicated button round he tuning dial to turn it on or off.
Menus 50A and 50B default levels for the ACC2 connector audio are OK. Don't change those if you also run packet.

In tune or transmit if you DON'T see the SL-USB's red PTT indicator light up, your setting of the Playback Audio Level control in Windows or slider at the right side of WSJT is too low to activate the VOX circuit inside the SL-USB.
If you DO see the red led but you still have no or very low transmit power output, you have not enough audio coming out of the SL-USB. The transmit level knob on mine is between 9 and 10 o'clock to get one or two pips on the ALC meter.
And to make life in 2020 even more interesting, I discovered that the jumper socket inside my SL-USB was slightly imtermittent, so the Tx audio didn't always get to the radio cable.

Hope this helps, and happy hamming!
--
Karl  WA8NVW  OH
WA8NVW@...

Sam Birnbaum

Hi Karl,

Thanks you for the info. Georgina is blind.
We just reset it to VOX and still no audio coming through.
Menu items 50b and 50c are set to 8 I don't know what 20 or 21 are set to.

I asked Georgina to shut down the rig and signallink and reset the plug making sure the key is at the bottom.

Until I see audio coming in through the signal link, I will not attempt to transmit.

Thank you for the info.

73,

Sam W2JDB

[...]

Well, tried it all. No audio coming through the signallink.

Could be a problem with the signallink, which se is sending back to where she purchased it for  a check,
or worse, they might be a problem with the TS2000 which she purchased used.

Thanks you all for your help in this matter.

73,

Sam W2JDB

[...]

have you checked the Tx audio setting recipe in this pinned post:

On 05/09/2020 21:32, Sam Birnbaum via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Thanks, that has been checked. PPT works through the 13 pin ACC2 port. I know what I am doing with such plugs, thank you.

73

On 5 Sep 2020, at 18:52, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@subich.com> wrote:

[...]

That was on of the first items that I checked.

After I hung with her, I sent her another email suggesting a full reset on the TS2000.

Since she purchased it used, who knows what might have happened to the firmware.

Once she does a full reset, we will do another test. Maybe tomorrow.

I don't give up that easily.

73,

Sam W2JDB

[...]

These are the controls below the keypad? These controls do not give speech feedback. I can get a sighted agent to look on the screen. But I need to be able to describe exactly what I want them to look at. Some of these agents are terrified of these strange devices.
Is it possible to change these controls in a way that totally stops any signals being shown on the waterfall? i.e. Is this a fine tuning requirement and does not stop audio showing on the waterfall?

Thanks,

[...]

Regrettably, I did a reset on Friday because a repeater on UHF stopped being activated and I tried to reset the tone and checked the split. Couldn't work out what was going wrong so I looked in the manual and pressed the A+B key while turning it on. Which is a full reset. I have no problem doing it again, but it will not make any difference.

Last year, I sent it to ML&S who repaired the sub volume knob that was damaged. I asked them to flash the firmware to the latest version while it was on the bench. So again that caused a reset so no setting from previous owner remain.

Many thanks,

On 5 Sep 2020, at 21:40, Sam Birnbaum via groups.io <w2jdb@...> wrote:

[...]

have the jumpers inside the signalink been set up for the TS2000?

You need to do that or you can buy a plug in module for that rig.

This properly routes the audio from and to the radio.

Dan KC2STA

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 4:32 PM Sam Birnbaum via groups.io <w2jdb=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Tigertronics do indeed sell a plug n play module which I purchased knowing that I would have problems attaching small bits of wire. I have had 2 sighted people check that it is in the right way around and seated properly.

Thanks,

On 5 Sep 2020, at 22:08, d_ziolkowski <dan.ziolkowski@...> wrote:

[...]

For (audio based) data modes, PTT must be on *PIN 9*.

Per the TS-2000 Manual, page 95

Pin 9 (PKS) transceiver PTT Line Control
* Ground terminal to transmit
* Connect to the TNC or MCP transmit/receive
switching pin for digital operation
* Microphone audio input mutes when the
transmitter transmits

Pin 11 (PKD) Microphone Audio input
* Connect to the TNC or MCP transmit data pin
for digital operation.

Translation: PTT on pin 13 selects input audio on the mic jack
(Foster/front panel). PTT on pin 9 selects input audio on pin
11 (PKD) of the ACC jack and *mutes* the front panel microphone.
Note: This behavior is consistent for *all* Kenwood transceivers
manufactured in the last 30+ years (since TS-140/440 era).

73,

... Joe, W4TV