Installing V2.2.2 on Mint 18.2 from source #install

Robin

As a long time user of WSJT software, I wish to install WSJTX V2.2.2 on my Linux Mint 18.2.
The available 18.04 Ubuntu package does not install.
So, following Bill Somerville's repeated advice here, I am attempting to use the source code wsjtx-2.2.2.tgz.

Respecting the instructions exactly, I have ensured that all required dependencies (Debian) are met.  
However, when the command cmake is invoked, the computer generates a lot of activity, but then prints:
CMake Error
  Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5SerialPort" with any of the following names:
       Qt5SerialPortConfig.cmake
       qt5Serialport-config.cmake

and then finally
--Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Is there an oversight of mine somewhere, or does this recipe not work with Mint 18.2?

Robin, 9H1ZZ

Bill Somerville

On 04/09/2020 18:27, Robin wrote:
As a long time user of WSJT software, I wish to install WSJTX V2.2.2 on my Linux Mint 18.2.
So, following Bill Somerville's repeated advice here, I am attempting to use the source code wsjtx-2.2.2.tgz.

Respecting the instructions exactly, I have ensured that all required dependencies (Debian) are met.  
However, when the command cmake is invoked, the computer generates a lot of activity, but then prints:
CMake Error
  Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5SerialPort" with any of the following names:

and then finally

Is there an oversight of mine somewhere, or does this recipe not work with Mint 18.2?

Robin, 9H1ZZ

Hi Robin,

there are a couple of missing dependencies in the INSTALL file instructions, sorry about that. Hopefully we have them right for mainstream Linux distributions for the next release.

For that issue you need to install the QtSerialPort development package:

sudo apt install libqt5serialport5-dev

Don;t hesitate to ask about any further unmet dependencies.

Bill
G4WJS.

Robin

Thanks for the rapid answer.  I had worked out that libqt5serialport5-dev was needed so I had already installed it (5.5.1-2 build).
is there anything else that I might have missed?

Robin 9H1ZZ

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...>
Sent: Friday, September 4, 2020 19:53
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Installing V2.2.2 on Mint 18.2 from source #install

CMake Error

and then finally

Robin, 9H1ZZ

Hi Robin,

there are a couple of missing dependencies in the INSTALL file instructions, sorry about that. Hopefully we have them right for mainstream Linux distributions for the next release.

Bill
G4WJS.

ks_univ_nut

I finally got 2.2.2 installed on my Linux/buster system - latest version - the cmake problem was exactly like yours - i just installed anything that had qt5 in the name - and by the grace of God it installed on the next try.  Working great too I might add.  A friends setup is Mint 18.2 and we just installed the 2.2.1 that is shown in the package manager.  No problems there.

On Sep 4, 2020 13:07, Robin <robin_a_hodgson@...> wrote:
Thanks for the rapid answer.  I had worked out that libqt5serialport5-dev was needed so I had already installed it (5.5.1-2 build).

Robin 9H1ZZ

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...>

CMake Error

and then finally

Robin, 9H1ZZ

Hi Robin,

Bill
G4WJS.

Robin

Hi KB0QGT.  . Thanks for your input. Good to hear you got Buster to work for you.
The Mint 18.2 package manager latest install is v 2.1.0 (from a ppa). It works fine.
Still trying to find out what dependency Mint 18.2 is missing for installing 2.2.2 from source.
Robin, 9H1ZZ

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> on behalf of ks_univ_nut <kb0qgt@...>
Sent: Friday, September 4, 2020 22:37

I finally got 2.2.2 installed on my Linux/buster system - latest version - the cmake problem was exactly like yours - i just installed anything that had qt5 in the name - and by the grace of God it installed on the next try.  Working great too I might add.  A friends setup is Mint 18.2 and we just installed the 2.2.1 that is shown in the package manager.  No problems there.

On Sep 4, 2020 13:07, Robin <robin_a_hodgson@...> wrote:

Robin 9H1ZZ

CMake Error

and then finally

Robin, 9H1ZZ

Hi Robin,

Bill
G4WJS.

Tom Thomas

Does anyone know of a PPA with a built install package? All the ones I saw via a search were older, sometimes 2-3 years old.

Rick Chapman

Tom

See here https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html for the deb install package wsjtx_2.2.2_amd64.deb.

However WSJT-X V2.2.2 wont work on Linux Mint 18.x as that is based on Ubuntu 16.04 and WSJT-X needs Ubuntu 18.04.

I couldn't get install from sources to work on LM18 albeit for an earlier version than 2.2.2.  The deb package the best route.

As I recall the version which worked on LM18 is incompatible with later versions, so you though you could install an earlier version you won't get any contacts.

I upgraded to Mint 19 on which V2.2.2 installs from the deb package easily and works just fine. Also LM19 is lighter than LM18 if your on an older PC.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Rick(GM4JIB)

On 21/10/2020 19:18, Tom Thomas wrote:
Does anyone know of a PPA with a built install package? All the ones I saw via a search were older, sometimes 2-3 years old.