locked Contest, non-Contest

Hank Garretson

The WSJTx incompatibility between Contest mode and non-Contest mode is sometimes exasperating.

I suggest three enhancements. Win-win for both contesters and casual ops.

1. Provide an option for CQ-only checkbox to display only CQs for whatever contest is selected under Advanced Options.

2. Make the red contest box clickable. Click on Red WW DIGI box and WSJTx switches to non-contest mode. Click on grayed WW DIGI box and WSJTx switches to contest mode.

3. For Contest mode add a new TX-x option to send CALL SNR.

73, Cope Exuberantly,

Hank, W6SX

Bill Somerville

On 03/09/2020 14:45, Hank Garretson wrote:
The WSJTx incompatibility between Contest mode and non-Contest mode is sometimes exasperating.

I suggest three enhancements. Win-win for both contesters and casual ops.

1. Provide an option for CQ-only checkbox to display only CQs for whatever contest is selected under Advanced Options.

2. Make the red contest box clickable. Click on Red WW DIGI box and WSJTx switches to non-contest mode. Click on grayed WW DIGI box and WSJTx switches to contest mode.

3. For Contest mode add a new TX-x option to send CALL SNR.

73, Cope Exuberantly,

Hank, W6SX
Hank,

since the contest modes were introduced in WSJT-X we have always recommend that contest activity be carried out on separate frequencies from the existing watering holes.

Kermit Lehman

Like FT4 on 14.080 MHz?

73,
Ken, AB1J

On 03/09/2020 14:45, Hank Garretson wrote:
> The WSJTx incompatibility between Contest mode and non-Contest mode is
> sometimes exasperating.
>
> I suggest three enhancements. Win-win for both contesters and casual ops.
>
> 1. Provide an option for CQ-only checkbox to display only CQs for
> whatever contest is selected under Advanced Options.
>
> 2. Make the red contest box clickable. Click on Red WW DIGI box and
> WSJTx switches to non-contest mode. Click on grayed WW DIGI box and
> WSJTx switches to contest mode.
>
> 3. For Contest mode add a new TX-x option to send CALL SNR.
>
> 73, Cope Exuberantly,
>
> Hank, W6SX

Hank,

since the contest modes were introduced in WSJT-X we have always
recommend that contest activity be carried out on separate frequencies
from the existing watering holes.

Lance Collister, W7GJ

I think the Contest Mode question is exacerbated by the fact that a number of people are using knock-off programs that don't even have Contest Mode! If they send a dB report instead of a gridsquare report, the solution I propose is to allow the contact to be logged with that report in the main log, but bypass the contest logging screen. Then go on seamlessly with the next contact. That would work no matter what flavor of WSJT was being run, and someone's failure to properly reply during a contest pileup would not jam up the works, but simply omit the contact from the contest log so one could continue running the pileup.

Just my 2 cents from using NA Contest Mode on 6m... MNI TNX and VY 73, Lance

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ, V6M, T8GJ, VK9CGJ, VK9XGJ, C21GJ, CP1GJ, S79GJ, TX7MB)
P.O. Box 73

page (above)!

Reino Talarmo

Then go on seamlessly with the next contact. That would work no matter what
flavor of WSJT was being run, and someone's failure to properly reply during
a contest pileup would not jam up the works, but simply omit the contact
from the contest log so one could continue running the pileup.

Hi Lance,

In the case of WW Digi contest on page https://ww-digi.com/operating.htm
section Working Non-Contesters is stated:

2. If the non-contester first calls you with their dB SNR exchange message
(Tx2), it is difficult to elicit their Grid Square with FT messaging. It is
probably best to quickly finish and log the QSO. One way to insure you get a
Grid Square is to only call non-contesters because it will be in their CQ
message. Whenever you call CQ, it is possible that a non-contester will
respond with their Tx2 message. It is important to log this non-scored QSO
because if the non-contester happens to submit a log with this QSO, they
will receive a NIL penalty.

I used my 2 cents on that and logged also those not using contest mode, hi!

73, Reino OH3mA

Tony Collett

Agreed Reino EXCEPT - The actual process of logging the QSO is not the problem as the Grid (or a dummy one) can easily be entered in the log window without slowing things down - the real problem is if you call (or are called by) a station that only sends dB reports the QSO can go into an endless loop unless that station manually steps through the QSO (or is actually using latest WSJT version). Only solution is to temporarily come out of contest mode in order to send a dB report back to satisfy the other station.

I have requested many times if it would be possible to bring a tick box onto the main screen to get into/out of contest mode in order that these QSO can be easily completed. Having to go into the menus to change the special contest activity is not quick.

Having given some QSO in last weekend WW Digi contest which was conducted away from normal frequencies there were still several occasions when I ran across the problem of non-contest reports and QSO's going into a loop so it seems all contest modes suffer.

Regards
Tony G4NBS

Sam Birnbaum

Hi Tony,

The program QLog that is used by blind hams, has a feature in it that if calling CQ  in a contest such as WW Digi, if the first message received is not a valid grid, QLog immediately sends a free form message back with the callsign followed by "DIGI?" and terminates the QSO. I am sure you can think of a way to do this as well manually. QLog has the same logic for the other contests modes.

73,

Sam W2JDB

[...]

Tony,

I had some QSOs in that contest, where clearly the other end knew how to handle exchange using a non-wsjt-x version that does not support WW contest. Only in one instance I had to go into non-contest mode to get QSO complete. Perhaps I was lucky, hi.

Of course I am not against that special feature to move easily between normal and contest modes. BUT I prefer to get new modes that improve communication possibilities than that special feature, which may not be simple to implement. As Bill stated contests should use special frequencies and also on FT4 that should be used e.g. instead of xx.080 we should start say at xx.084. I know that FT4 is mainly intended for contesting and people should not use it for normal QSOs at all, hi. Sometimes FT4 is actually better than FT8 at high latitude as Finland happens to be close to.

73, Reino OH3mA

[...]

neil_zampella

FWIW ... back a few versions, when they first created a contest mode, there WAS a box on the main screen that enabled contest mode.

That caused no end of issues, with hundreds of reports about how the program went 'haywire' and started sending 'weird' Tx messages.   Turns out many people had accidentally check the box on the main window and never realized it.

It was moved to the settings to keep this from happening.     As far as people not sending contest reports, if they want to use a program that yanked out the code for contests, then I wouldn't work them during a contest.

Neil, KN3ILZ