locked Suspect RFI into computer

wojtasczyk@...

I am new to the digi modes and am slowly both figuring this out and understanding how it works.  But I suspect that I have getting RFI into my computer causing problems.  I am using an IC-706MKIIG into an antenna tuner feeding a 130 long wire antenna.  I am able to tune to my freq in CW with no problems to the computer.  But when I begin to operate FT*, about after every other or third transmission, WSJT programs says that there is a rig control error and if I want to reconfigure the rig control systems.  I click ok and re-enable the TX and am able to continue TXing to complete the QSO.  In the most extreme it causes my computer to reboot.  I've increased the separation of my turner from the computer and have added a number of RF filters to a number of leads connecting to the back of the computer (I've got more now to continue placing the filters on a few remaining leads).  Am I pursuing the correct problem?

Thank you for all your help,
KA5SWC
John Wojtasczyk

JP Tucson, AZ

This, like others, is a case where having a field strength meter would be very handy to have.

Do you have all of your equipment bonded to ground? Pwr supply, radio, tuner & computer?

One assumes you are bringing into  the shack the longwire ant. as a single unshielded wire? I.e. not coax...

I have a friend who did that, had the same issues. He solved the problem by using a 20-25 foot coax cable to a 1:1 current balun with the ant. Wire to the center & the ant side shield going through a wire back to the ground.

Not only did his rfi go away, but he cut his noise floor by by 3 or 4 S units.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020, 9:31 AM <wojtasczyk@...> wrote:
[...]

chas cartmel

John

I think you are on the right track.
I have ferrite chokes, mainly clamp-ons, on every lead into the computer and also on any power supply or connecting leads, mains and PSU. If possible I use several turn inside the choke.
My equipment is all connected to a single earthing point which ultimately goes to an external earth with 3 4 foot grounding rods in the garden.

I had RFI, but can now run 200W SSB into any of my antennae without problem.

73 Charlie

G4EST

www.g4est.me.uk

Stay safe out there

[...]

Also...  put about 3 to 5 ferrites on the coax near the tuner & on the patch coax between the tuner & radio.

[...]

dk1wb

John,
most likely your RFI is hitting the USB interface between PC and TRX. You should use a USB cable with double shielding and RF chokes an each end. If this does not solve the problem try to connect the shield of the USB connector at the PC side to the tuner chassis by means of a ground clip which is common for scope probe tips. My TX power can now go up to 500 W without affecting the (notebook) PC.

73; Hans (DK1WB)

Jim Brown

On 8/31/2020 9:31 AM, wojtasczyk@... wrote:
I am using an IC-706MKIIG into an antenna tuner feeding a 130 long wire antenna
I suspect a basic antenna problem, which is the lack of a dedicated return for antenna current. If we don't provide a return, Mother Nature will find her own, which may be through your ham shack and interconnected equipment to the green wire on the power line that equipment is plugged into.

Common dedicated returns for antenna current are radials or a wire counterpoise that can be in the air or laying on the ground.

In the shack, most RFI problems can be eliminate by proper bonding. N0AX has written a fine ARRL book on the topic of Grounding and Bonding, to which I contributed extensively. On my website is a pdf of slides for talks I've done at Pacificon, Visalia, and to several ham clubs. It includes a lot of conceptual drawings about how to do it right.

http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf

Yes, ferrites can help, and for HF, 4-5 turns should be wound through a #31 core or clamp-on. But don't let that prevent you from doing proper bonding, which has the more critical result of greatly reducing the likelihood that lightning would destroy your equipment! Proper bonding is pretty easy and inexpensive -- all it takes is wire and our time to do it!

73, Jim K9YC

Lilburn Smith <lilburn@...>

John,
I had much the same problems until I ran a #12 wire ground from the transmitter to the frame of the computer. My computer does not have provision for a ground, but I put a ground lug under one of the power supply mounting screws. Run the ground wire from the computer to the Icom and to the antenna tuner and see if the problem clears up. The ground wire should go to a good driven ground rod.
Lilburn W5KQJ

Joe KN5Y

Read Palomar Engineering online RFI issues. Consider wrapping cables around ferrite toroids as well as using snap-on chokes

Regards,
Joe Ellis KN5Y

On 8/31/2020 12:03 PM, Lilburn Smith wrote:
The ground wire should go to a good driven ground rod.
For lightning protection, yes, as well as all other bonding described in my tutorial, previously posted in this thread.

BUT -- the earth is NOT a sump into which hum, buzz, or RFI are poured.

73, Jim K9YC

Jim Brown

On 8/31/2020 12:16 PM, Joe KN5Y via groups.io wrote:
Read Palomar Engineering online RFI issues. Consider wrapping cables around ferrite toroids as well as using snap-on chokes
I do NOT recommend this company or their materials.

73, Jim K9YC

Joe Burnham <wd4kav@...>

Not sure what you mean by “rf filters”, but I had a similar problem here with my 7300 and PC, connected by a single USB cable.

I bought some clamp on toroids and put one at the end of the cable before it connects to the port on the computer. I also looped the power cable to the pc through a larger toroid up close to where the power cord plugs into the PC.

This fix solved my problems, and I can run 50-60 watts output to my vertical which is about 25 feet away. OH, make sure your rig and tuner are grounded too.

73, Joe

On Aug 31, 2020, at 9:31 AM, wojtasczyk@... wrote:

Kyle K7UU

Tell us why, please.

Kyle
K7KE

wojtasczyk@...

Edited

Poor selection of words, meant rf choke.  I also noticed this morning and I am wondering if anyone else had experienced this; I heard a relay activate in either the SignaLink or my radio, then my computer rebooted.  I  "don't" think it was the radio, but I am not sure if it was the SignaLink because the TX light never came on and the radio showed no RF output.  I've had this happen before, but this time I was looking squarely toward my radio and the SignaLink.  Honestly, I'm in the process of moving, so I am not sure about going through the process of bonding the system.  This will be done at the new QTH.  I just may have to put up with this for now.