locked Vertical lines in WSJT-X waterfall

Tyler Parsons

On 17m and 20m, I seeing a series of vertical lines in the waterfall spaced at 60Hz across the entire 0-3000 field. I'm not seeing them on other bands or if I switch to a dummy load so they're probably being picked up by the antenna. Here is a link to a picture of the problem on 20m: http://www.thegraystonehouse.com/pictures/WaterfallLines.PNG

Has anyone else seen this? Can someone suggest the source and a solution?
Thanks, 73
--
Tyler WB7DD

D. Scott MacKenzie

Maybe computer line noise - try ferrite core around power cable.  I had the same thing and isolated to computer

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020, 19:40 Tyler Parsons <tparsons@...> wrote:
On 17m and 20m, I seeing a series of vertical lines in the waterfall spaced at 60Hz across the entire 0-3000 field. I'm not seeing them on other bands or if I switch to a dummy load so they're probably being picked up by the antenna. Here is a link to a picture of the problem on 20m: http://www.thegraystonehouse.com/pictures/WaterfallLines.PNG

Has anyone else seen this? Can someone suggest the source and a solution?
Thanks, 73
--
Tyler WB7DD

JP Tucson, AZ

Do you have your computer, radio or accessories attached to a UPS? (Uninterruptible power supply)

If so, try removing that to see it the lines go away.

If not, if you can run your rx & computer on battery power, do so; & monitor your waterfall - try off of tge regular ft8 frequency in order to see the lines better.

Now shut of your main power breaker to the house & see if the lines go away. If they don't, you have an external rfi issue. Bad power transformer, neighbor with rfi issues, or some business doing so.

If when you power down, the noise quits; then it is your issue inside the home. Turn off all of your breakers, then turn on each circuit breakers one at a time & monitor.  Give each circuit about 10-15 seconds to power up whatever is attached.

Once you find the breaker(s) that reproduce the noise, start disconnecting everything on that circuit - turn off lights - AT THE SWITCH! NOT just with remotes. Sometimes the remotes are the source...

Anyway, continue until you find the issue(s).

Wall warts, phone & tablet chargers, cfl & led lights, dimmers, light controllers & home automation are the most likely culprits. But modern refrigerators, ranges & other appliances can be a problem too; including INVERTER style air conditioners.

Yeah, R.F.I. sucks!

Do ensure too that you have proper grounding & bonding of your station equipment.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020, 4:40 PM Tyler Parsons <tparsons@...> wrote:
On 17m and 20m, I seeing a series of vertical lines in the waterfall spaced at 60Hz across the entire 0-3000 field. I'm not seeing them on other bands or if I switch to a dummy load so they're probably being picked up by the antenna. Here is a link to a picture of the problem on 20m: http://www.thegraystonehouse.com/pictures/WaterfallLines.PNG

Has anyone else seen this? Can someone suggest the source and a solution?
Thanks, 73
--
Tyler WB7DD

Tyler Parsons

Yes, there's a UPS on the computer. I'll try taking that off line first to see what happens, then try what I can. Battery power may be a problem. Thanks for the other suggestions too..
--
Tyler WB7DD

Reino Talarmo

Hi Tyler,

If those lines come and go sometimes sharply and sometimes slowly fading, then it is probably an Over Horizon Radar. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-the-horizon_radar.

I have seen those on various bands usually much stronger than in your example. May not be exactly on band, but a sideslope.

73, Reino OH3mA

Yes, there's a UPS on the computer. I'll try taking that off line first to see what happens, then try what I can. Battery power may be a problem. Thanks for the other suggestions too..
--
Tyler WB7DD

Larry Banks

I see this on 6M and believe it is from my air conditioner.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2020 15:48
Subject: [WSJTX] Vertical lines in WSJT-X waterfall

On 17m and 20m, I seeing a series of vertical lines in the waterfall spaced at 60Hz across the entire 0-3000 field. I'm not seeing them on other bands or if I switch to a dummy load so they're probably being picked up by the antenna. Here is a link to a picture of the problem on 20m: http://www.thegraystonehouse.com/pictures/WaterfallLines.PNG

Has anyone else seen this? Can someone suggest the source and a solution?
Thanks, 73
--
Tyler WB7DD

JP Tucson, AZ

Does it cycle on & off with the a/c?

With it running, verify the noise then kill the breaker to the a/c. If the noise goes away, there ya go.

73 - John - N7GHZ

Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2020 15:48

On 17m and 20m, I seeing a series of vertical lines in the waterfall spaced at 60Hz across the entire 0-3000 field. I'm not seeing them on other bands or if I switch to a dummy load so they're probably being picked up by the antenna. Here is a link to a picture of the problem on 20m: http://www.thegraystonehouse.com/pictures/WaterfallLines.PNG

Has anyone else seen this? Can someone suggest the source and a solution?
Thanks, 73
--
Tyler WB7DD

Larry Banks

Yes – otherwise I wouldn’t know this.

Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2020 15:48

On 17m and 20m, I seeing a series of vertical lines in the waterfall spaced at 60Hz across the entire 0-3000 field. I'm not seeing them on other bands or if I switch to a dummy load so they're probably being picked up by the antenna. Here is a link to a picture of the problem on 20m: http://www.thegraystonehouse.com/pictures/WaterfallLines.PNG

Has anyone else seen this? Can someone suggest the source and a solution?
Thanks, 73
--
Tyler WB7DD

Marion D. Kitchens

Larry,
I see those lines on 6 M too.  Sometimes strong, sometimes not there at all.  I have not been able to correlate them to anything around my shack.  I am accustomed to "birdies" on 6 M.  I do not understand why these come and go.

73  de Marion,  K4GOK

Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2020 15:48

On 17m and 20m, I seeing a series of vertical lines in the waterfall spaced at 60Hz across the entire 0-3000 field. I'm not seeing them on other bands or if I switch to a dummy load so they're probably being picked up by the antenna. Here is a link to a picture of the problem on 20m: http://www.thegraystonehouse.com/pictures/WaterfallLines.PNG

Has anyone else seen this? Can someone suggest the source and a solution?
Thanks, 73
--
Tyler WB7DD

Bob Lewis

I see these on 6M on and off. I think that it is coming from the RF data link located at the sewage pumping station down the road since it is strongest when the beam is pointed in that direction and disappears when the beam is pointed in other directions, including at the nearby homes.

Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2020 15:48

On 17m and 20m, I seeing a series of vertical lines in the waterfall spaced at 60Hz across the entire 0-3000 field. I'm not seeing them on other bands or if I switch to a dummy load so they're probably being picked up by the antenna. Here is a link to a picture of the problem on 20m: http://www.thegraystonehouse.com/pictures/WaterfallLines.PNG

Has anyone else seen this? Can someone suggest the source and a solution?
Thanks, 73
--
Tyler WB7DD

Tyler Parsons

I went noise hunting around the shack with a portable receiver on 14.074Mhz and found loud noise around one of two monitors, nowhere else. I switched out the monitor for a different somewhat newer one, and the noise has disappeared from both the portable receiver and the waterfall. Everything else is pretty quiet.

It's old, but I'll keep the Grundig Yachtboy my wife gave me for Christmas many years ago around for a while

Thanks for all the suggestions, particularly John N7GHZ!
--
Tyler WB7DD

JP Tucson, AZ

You are welcome Tyler, glad you were able to find & solve the issue.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020, 8:43 AM Tyler Parsons <tparsons@...> wrote:

I went noise hunting around the shack with a portable receiver on 14.074Mhz and found loud noise around one of two monitors, nowhere else. I switched out the monitor for a different somewhat newer one, and the noise has disappeared from both the portable receiver and the waterfall. Everything else is pretty quiet.

It's old, but I'll keep the Grundig Yachtboy my wife gave me for Christmas many years ago around for a while

Thanks for all the suggestions, particularly John N7GHZ!
--
Tyler WB7DD

JP Tucson, AZ

Hello Andy,

Here's a recent example below discussing an rfi issue. Several good posts from several hams on IDing  the issue & help to find the cause... now mostly (12 posts) deleted!

How can this be used as a knowledge base, when stuff does keep getting deleted?

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020, 9:14 AM JP Tucson, AZ via groups.io <samcat88az=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
You are welcome Tyler, glad you were able to find & solve the issue.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020, 8:43 AM Tyler Parsons <tparsons@...> wrote:

I went noise hunting around the shack with a portable receiver on 14.074Mhz and found loud noise around one of two monitors, nowhere else. I switched out the monitor for a different somewhat newer one, and the noise has disappeared from both the portable receiver and the waterfall. Everything else is pretty quiet.

It's old, but I'll keep the Grundig Yachtboy my wife gave me for Christmas many years ago around for a while

Thanks for all the suggestions, particularly John N7GHZ!
--
Tyler WB7DD

View/Reply Online (#16083): https://WSJTX.groups.io/g/main/message/16083

Barry N1NQD

John-nothing got deleted.  If  you look below the reply line it shows a message to "show all 13 messages", or something to that effect.  When you hit the button, everything shows up in order!  Hope this helps-

73-Barry-N1NQD

JP Tucson, AZ

Well, in a few days the entire thread will be gone.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020, 12:03 AM Barry N1NQD via groups.io <koolkat505=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
John-nothing got deleted.  If  you look below the reply line it shows a message to "show all 13 messages", or something to that effect.  When you hit the button, everything shows up in order!  Hope this helps-

73-Barry-N1NQD

Bill Somerville

John,

please explain?

On 02/09/2020 11:18, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:

Well, in a few days the entire thread will be gone.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020, 12:03 AM Barry N1NQD via groups.io <koolkat505=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
John-nothing got deleted.  If  you look below the reply line it shows a message to "show all 13 messages", or something to that effect.  When you hit the button, everything shows up in order!  Hope this helps-

73-Barry-N1NQD

JP Tucson, AZ

Uh, it's there... and then it is not!

Good bye, adios, sayonara, dasvidaniya...

Later when you you go back & click on the linked thread, it is gone!!!

That's why on some of threads that I really want to save; I'll actually copy & paste the info into an email & send it back to myself &/or save it as a word doc.

There is a reason people keep asking you the same thing, over & over again, Bill.  Like the .adi header problem, etc.. Again, that is why I suggested the new - "known issues" page on the original wsjt-x home page.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020, 3:31 AM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
John,

please explain?

On 02/09/2020 11:18, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:
Well, in a few days the entire thread will be gone.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020, 12:03 AM Barry N1NQD via groups.io <koolkat505=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
John-nothing got deleted.  If  you look below the reply line it shows a message to "show all 13 messages", or something to that effect.  When you hit the button, everything shows up in order!  Hope this helps-

73-Barry-N1NQD

Bill Somerville

John,

please provide a link to a thread that you think is no longer visible?

On 02/09/2020 11:57, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:

[...]

Alan G4ZFQ

please provide a link to a thread that you think is no longer visible?
Searching the group for "adi header" shows 13 posts giving the answer even without opening one.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Tyler Parsons

Edited

There's some 2884 messages archived in the https://wsjtx.groups.io/g/main/topics page. You should be able to do a search for a particular topic, such as "waterfall" and bring up all messages with that. I don't know whether it will also search multiple keywords as "and" or "or".  At the bottom of the message, there's a selection  for all messages in the topic.I just picked "Re: Vertical lines in WSJT-X waterfall" and all 19 (now 20?) came up.
--
Tyler WB7DD