locked Waterfall active, no decodes

lmeeny

Hello,

I've an "all of a sudden" problem. There's significant activity on the waterfall. The time clock has been verified to be properly synchronized by two different methods. Moving tape display on WSJT-X main window averages around 40 dB varying in step with my receiver S meter. Decode light flashes blue.

I'd appreciate trouble shooting suggestions

73

Ed W2GHD

Arnold Lausevich <nk9o@...>

(1) Check time sync

(2)

On Saturday, August 29, 2020, 4:55:39 PM CDT, lmeeny <emachak@...> wrote:

Hello,

I've an "all of a sudden" problem. There's significant activity on the waterfall. The time clock has been verified to be properly synchronized by two different methods. Moving tape display on WSJT-X main window averages around 40 dB varying in step with my receiver S meter. Decode light flashes blue.

I'd appreciate trouble shooting suggestions

73

Ed W2GHD

M0PWX

op said timesync confirmed by two methods

other things, the normal,

close and restart wsjt-x

reboot pc (pending updates can cause funny issues on pc's)

check volume settings (rig and pc) but nothing montioned to suggest they have changed

check for mode on rig (i know my SDR i forget at times to swap LSB to USB, or even CW > USB)

check correct mode is set for the the signal you are decoding?

all basic stuff, which i suspect the op has already checked

peter

On Sat, 29/08/2020 23:09, Arnold Lausevich wrote:
(1) Check time sync

(2)

On Saturday, August 29, 2020, 4:55:39 PM CDT, lmeeny <emachak@...> wrote:

Hello,

I've an "all of a sudden" problem. There's significant activity on the waterfall. The time clock has been verified to be properly synchronized by two different methods. Moving tape display on WSJT-X main window averages around 40 dB varying in step with my receiver S meter. Decode light flashes blue.

I'd appreciate trouble shooting suggestions

73

Ed W2GHD

This email has been scanned by iomartcloud.
http://www.iomartcloud.com

lmeeny

I've completed all the things Peter SWL2370 listed in his thorough post, no joy. Here's another piece of information. I've had two decodes in about an hour. The first had a dt of 0.2, the second, 1.6 seconds. My first  thoughts were also of a timing problem. One of the methods I used was "time.is" and my PC clock was right on the money.  The start time of signals on the waterfall line up with the time period horizontal lines of the waterfall. Other than timing I'm at a loss as to how WSJT-X indicates it has audio input but does not decode.

Ed W2GHD

Timothy Brannon

Edited

Ed, do you have a second receiver in the shack? Maybe try connecting that to see if you can get any decodes. You only need the audio output for a receive test, and you could set the frequency manually, etc.
Are you able to use any other digi mode software with your current radio and audio interface? Maybe install FLDIGI (free download) and try to copy some Olivia or RTTY. This may be heresy, but you could also try JT-DX.
Maybe try an alternative audio interface? if your rig has line-level output, that could be as simple as an audio patch cable to your PC sound card input. I know you are getting signals on the waterfall, etc, but you may need to look "outside the box" for the failure point.

lmeeny

Timothy,

Thank you for the suggestions. Alas no second receiver. I did an experiment though that may (?) shed some light on the fault.

I ran the test .wav files through WSJT-X and they decoded properly. Returning to the audio from the receiver I set SAVE to ALL. No .wav files were saved. No .wav files produced for decoding?

Ed

Bill Somerville

On 30/08/2020 16:58, lmeeny wrote:
Timothy,

Thank you for the suggestions. Alas no second receiver. I did an experiment though that may (?) shed some light on the fault.

I ran the test .wav files through WSJT-X and they decoded properly. Returning to the audio from the receiver I set SAVE to ALL. No .wav files were saved. No .wav files produced for decoding?

Ed
Hi Ed,

saved .WAV files go to the directory path specified in "Settings->Audio". If you are not getting saved .WAV files when you have "Menu->Save->Save all" checked then there may be some other process using excessive CPU resource. Another possibility is poor time synchronization, by that I don't just meant inaccurate time but large steps being regularly made by your time sync application.

lmeeny

Bill,

Progress! I wasn't looking for the saved .wav files in the right place (dumb!). When loading any of the saved files, via FILE--> OPEN, they were properly decoded. WSJT-X doesn't have a path to the audio? Some sort of configuration file I've messed up?

On the timing note, corrections are being made every 25 minutes at approx 0.08 seconds per correction.

I very much appreciate one of the authors offering assistance.

73

Ed W2GHD

Bill Somerville

On 30/08/2020 23:05, lmeeny wrote:
Bill,

Progress! I wasn't looking for the saved .wav files in the right place (dumb!). When loading any of the saved files, via FILE--> OPEN, they were properly decoded. WSJT-X doesn't have a path to the audio? Some sort of configuration file I've messed up?

On the timing note, corrections are being made every 25 minutes at approx 0.08 seconds per correction.

I very much appreciate one of the authors offering assistance.

73

Ed W2GHD
Hi Ed,

I suspect you have "Settings->General->Start new period decodes at top" checked. There is a known defect with this option that causes new decodes not to be scrolled into the visible window after many decodes have been printed. You can workaround this issue by erasing the Band Activity decodes window periodically before the issue arises.

G4WS.

lmeeny

Bill,

Just a day or two ago I did check "Start new period decodes at top". I've unchecked it, saved the setting screen, and closed the program. Restarting the program & verifying the setting was still uncheck & still do not see decodes. I deleted the program and reinstalled, still no decodes.

Ed

lmeeny

Bill,

Two additional observations. Under these failing conditions the decode count on the main WSJT-X window remains at 0 regardless of the number of signals on the waterfall. Second, JTALERT doesn't show any decoded call signs. Clues?

Ed W2GHD

Bill Somerville

On 31/08/2020 01:07, lmeeny wrote:
Bill,

Just a day or two ago I did check "Start new period decodes at top". I've unchecked it, saved the setting screen, and closed the program. Restarting the program & verifying the setting was still uncheck & still do not see decodes. I deleted the program and reinstalled, still no decodes.

Ed
Hi Ed,

what are you using for PC clock accuracy?

Reino Talarmo

Ed,

I have followed with interest this discussion. I have not seen which rig you are using and how its audio is connected to your PC. Also PC operating system may be an issue.

All seems to indicate that your audio (path) has some serious difficulty. Most probably you have already checked that PC audio sampling rate is 48000 Hz with 16 bits, although also other sampling rates should work. You have also checked that your rig is really using upper sideband (USB) not lower sideband, actually then it should not decode any signals unless some station is using LSB, hi!

One issue that is not easy to see is related to continuous audio sampling, sometimes waterfall may give some hint. If there are some missing time periods timewise, I mean sampled audio stream is shorter due to missing periods, then decoding is very difficult as symbols are no more in proper locations. That may happen, if PC load is so high that audio samples are missed from the audio stream for a considerable time period(s). Another cause for missing periods could be virtual audio connections in SDR radio systems (and in remote rig usage).

By the way is your system worked earlier?

73, Reino OH3mA