Topics

#icom #706 #icom #acc

Chris Rayner

Has anybody else had issues with the Icom 706 ACC 'SEND' function?

I have an early 706 (i.e. NOT the MkII/MkIIg) which has a 13 pin DIN ACC socket. Pin 3 is SEND, which when grounded should key transmit.

When I ground Pin3/SEND - the 706 doesn't transmit.

There are no menu items to configure VSEND or HSEND like on the early 706.

Would welcome any thoughts on this one.

Thanks
Chris
G7BED

Dave Garber

i cant remember, but was there not a menu item that tells the radio to use the acc for input, instead of mike jack, or something like that??

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 5:31 PM Chris Rayner <Chris.rayner06@...> wrote:
Has anybody else had issues with the Icom 706 ACC 'SEND' function?

I have an early 706 (i.e. NOT the MkII/MkIIg) which has a 13 pin DIN ACC socket. Pin 3 is SEND, which when grounded should key transmit.

When I ground Pin3/SEND - the 706 doesn't transmit.

There are no menu items to configure VSEND or HSEND like on the early 706.

Would welcome any thoughts on this one.

Thanks
Chris
G7BED

Dave Garber

wirings I see says pin 3 is for keying an amp.....    recheck the manual again

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 6:09 PM Dave ve3wej <ve3wej@...> wrote:
i cant remember, but was there not a menu item that tells the radio to use the acc for input, instead of mike jack, or something like that??

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 5:31 PM Chris Rayner <Chris.rayner06@...> wrote:
Has anybody else had issues with the Icom 706 ACC 'SEND' function?

I have an early 706 (i.e. NOT the MkII/MkIIg) which has a 13 pin DIN ACC socket. Pin 3 is SEND, which when grounded should key transmit.

When I ground Pin3/SEND - the 706 doesn't transmit.

There are no menu items to configure VSEND or HSEND like on the early 706.

Would welcome any thoughts on this one.

Thanks
Chris
G7BED

Bob Lewis

Pin 3 is an input/output. If you key the PTT with the mike, pin 3 is pulled to ground. If you ground pin 3 then the PTT is keyed.

[...]

Martin G0HDB

Hi Chris, when you refer to grounding pin 3 are you connecting pin 3 to pin 2 which is the GND connection on the 13-pin socket?  Have you tried just connecting a switch between pins 2 and 3 and toggling it to check that the rig goes into transmit?

If it doesn't then perhaps there's an internal fault that's preventing the grounding of pin 3 from keying the rig.

Also, what do you have connected to pin 3 - are you using something like an open-collector transistor or perhaps a reed relay, connected between pins 3 and 2, as the means of grounding pin 3?

--
Martin G0HDB

Dave Garber

dual purpose, ok...

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 6:35 PM Bob Lewis <aa4pb@...> wrote:

[...]

Bruce

Hello Chris,

You are correct, this is not software issue but a hard ware issue. Because you did not give much information, I will start with the basics.

Trouble shoot both the cable and radio by checking this pin in reverse. By that I mean... Key the mic and (using VOM) check if the pin voltage toggles from high to low. Make voltage check both at end of cable and direct at pin 3 of DIN ACC socket. You want to check for HI in RX and low in TX. Email me direct with results and I will go from there for you. My direct is W8HW@....

73, Bruce, W8HW

==============================

On 8/27/2020 5:30 PM, Chris Rayner wrote:
Has anybody else had issues with the Icom 706 ACC 'SEND' function?

I have an early 706 (i.e. NOT the MkII/MkIIg) which has a 13 pin DIN ACC socket. Pin 3 is SEND, which when grounded should key transmit.

When I ground Pin3/SEND - the 706 doesn't transmit.

There are no menu items to configure VSEND or HSEND like on the early 706.

Would welcome any thoughts on this one.

Thanks
Chris
G7BED

Chris Rayner

Many thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond - the ham community never ceases to amaze me how generous people are with their time.

@Dave (VE3WEJ) - no menu setting for the 706 (MkI), only for the MkII. And as flagged, the pin 3 SEND function is both input & output.

@Martin/Bruce: I've tried the following
(1) ACC connected to 706, shorting pin 3 (SEND) to pin 2 (GND) - 706 transmits (so looks like the 706 is doing what it should)
(2) Moving to the other end of the ACC cable (where it joins my DigiOne+ board), again, if I short SEND to GND, the 706 transmits - so the cable is also OK

The issue seems to be in the DigiOne+ board. Now, here's the issue - I didn't design it, so I don't know how it's setup. I've contacted Allan (designer) and am awaiting his feedback.

So, I'm still drawing a blank at the moment.

Chris
G7BED

Bob Lewis

One other check to make. With the digi-one connected, measure the voltage on the PTT line when it is trying to key the radio. I have seen cases where the PTT circuit in the in the interface does not pull the PTT line low enough to activate the radio’s PTT. It should be well under 1 volt. Make sure there is no significant series resistance in the PTT line (RFI chokes, etc).