moderated Linuus install fails with Lib6 dependancy issue #install #linux

ajparent1/kb1gmx

when I attempt to install the wsjtx_2.2.2_amd64  from the Prinction page
the package is uninstallable on a fairly fresh Linux Mint 18.4 system.
The page claimed the package is correct for that version yet it fails with
LibV6-228 dependency error.

So what version gets me to current?

Allison

Bill Somerville

On 14/07/2020 17:45, ajparent1/kb1gmx wrote:
when I attempt to install the wsjtx_2.2.2_amd64  from the Prinction page
the package is uninstallable on a fairly fresh Linux Mint 18.4 system.
The page claimed the package is correct for that version yet it fails with
LibV6-228 dependency error.

So what version gets me to current?

Allison
Hi Allison,

there is no such claim. The package we produce is targeted at Ubuntu 18.04. Mint Linux 19 is equivalent to that. You have two choices, either upgrade your system to Cinnamon, or build WSJT-X from sources. The latter is probably by far the easiest option. Instructions in the INSTALL file at the root of the unzipped sources tarball.

ajparent1/kb1gmx

Not helpful...  A system upgrade is very time consuming.

A full build will be fun trying to solve dependency issues.

Allison

Bill Somerville

On 15/07/2020 00:24, ajparent1/kb1gmx wrote:
Not helpful...  A system upgrade is very time consuming.

A full build will be fun trying to solve dependency issues.

Allison

Allison,

a build is not difficult many Linux users build WSJT-X. If you don't want to build then you must wait for Linux packages for WSJT-X to make v2.2.2 packages available for a wider range of distribution versions. We are a small development team and do not have the resources to make packages for the large number of Linux distributions and their various old versions.

I recommend you try building from sources, the majority of dependencies needed are listed in the INSTALL file:

On Linux:
build-essential
gcc-4.8.2 or clang-3.4 or newer
g++-4.8.2 or clang-3.4 or newer
gfortran-4.8.2 or newer
CMake-2.8.9 or newer
git
svn
asciidoc
texinfo
Also qtmultimedia5-dev, libqt5libserialport5-dev, qttools5-dev,
qttools5-dev-tools, libusb-1.0.0-dev, libfftw3-dev. Note that
these are Debian style package names, other distributions will have
different package names and package contents. For example on
RedHat style distributions the packages will be something like
qt5-qtmultimedia-devel, qt5-qtserialpport-devel, qt5-linguist,
libusb-devel, and fftw-devel.
and the build and install instructions:
$ mkdir ~/build
$ cd ~/build
$ tar xzf wsjtx-2.2.2.tgz
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake -DWSJT_SKIP_MANPAGES=ON -DWSJT_GENERATE_DOCS=OFF ../wsjtx-2.2.2
$ cmake --build .
$ sudo cmake --build . --target install
If successful this will install the built application into /usr/local,
if you wish to install it elsewhere, simply set the CMake variable
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX in the configure step above.

73 Bill G4WJS.

Carl - WC4H

I have tried building this on ubuntu-mate 20.04 LTS.
I had to make sure that wsjtx-2.2.2.tgz was in the build folder.
I replaced the second mkdir build and second cd build lines with cd wsjtx-2.2.2.

When I execute the last command: $ sudo cmake --build . --target install
I get this error (the 54% lines are just to show how far it got:
[ 54%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/wsjtx.dir/qrc_wsjtx.cpp.o
[ 54%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/wsjtx.dir/qrc_style.cpp.o
[ 54%] Linking CXX executable wsjtx
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ludev
make[6]: *** [CMakeFiles/wsjtx.dir/build.make:789: wsjtx] Error 1
make[5]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:326: CMakeFiles/wsjtx.dir/all] Error 2
make[4]: *** [Makefile:152: all] Error 2
make[3]: *** [CMakeFiles/wsjtx-install.dir/build.make:66: wsjtx-prefix/src/wsjtx-stamp/wsjtx-build] Error 2
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:145: CMakeFiles/wsjtx-install.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:233: CMakeFiles/install.dir/rule] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:183: install] Error 2
wa2auv@ubuntu-mate-vm:~/build/wsjtx-2.2.2$

The deb file will not install on ubuntu-mate 20,04 LST.

Can anybody point me in the right direction.

73.
Carl - WC4H

Timothy Urberg <tim@...>

I was able to get it working in 20.04, but it went about it differently, I downloaded the 18.04 deb file and just had to install a few dependencies.  A couple of them manually like libgfortran3, but I just downloaded them and installed manually.  This works until they have a deb file for 20.04

On 15/07/2020 18:55, Carl - WC4H via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Hi Carl,

sudo apt install libudev-dev

Carl - WC4H

Trying that now Bill.

The error was when I excuted:  cmake --build .
not the:  sudo cmake --build . --target install command.

So far, it just got beyond the 54%.

73
Carl - WC4H

Carl - WC4H

Hi Bill.

The build completed and it runs fine as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the quick response.

Carl - WC4H

ajparent1/kb1gmx

Looks like a significant challenge...

This is a mostly bare system for ham radio use no development on it.
I do development work but cross platform for embedded stuff so
of course not linux and not planning to use that machine for the build.
So much of that is not like a cross platform build for anything I use.

This will take some...

Allison

Bill Somerville

On 15/07/2020 23:15, ajparent1/kb1gmx wrote:
Looks like a significant challenge...

This is a mostly bare system for ham radio use no development on it.
I do development work but cross platform for embedded stuff so
of course not linux and not planning to use that machine for the build.
So much of that is not like a cross platform build for anything I use.

This will take some...

Allison
Allison,

you can uninstall any development packages you have to install to build WSJT-X, after the build. Its certainly not a significant challenge on a Debian based system line Linux Mint. Takes about 20 mins on a reasonably fast machine.

ajparent1/kb1gmx

This machine is not used for builds and has much disk and ram so
uninstall is not an issue.

Much of that as given is not command line I recognize more for lack
of use if anything,

I'll p lough through.

Before I do, is there a version that might run without compile (older)
or is the code moving forward so fast if I did that the on air compatibility
an issue?   I havent use it since JT65/JT9 was typically in use.

Allison

Bill Somerville

On 15/07/2020 23:26, ajparent1/kb1gmx wrote:
This machine is not used for builds and has much disk and ram so
uninstall is not an issue.

Much of that as given is not command line I recognize more for lack
of use if anything,

I'll p lough through.

Before I do, is there a version that might run without compile (older)
or is the code moving forward so fast if I did that the on air compatibility
an issue?   I havent use it since JT65/JT9 was typically in use.

Allison
Hi Allison,

the last WSJT-X version we provided a package for Debian Stretch (v9) based systems, like Linux Mint 18.x, was v1.9.1 back in June 2018, a lot has changed since then including breaking changes in the FT8 protocol. I don't know if we have a package maintainer for Linux Mint, if there is then later version packages may well be available.

I would not shy away from building from sources, many users have successfully built including on Linux Mint 18.x series of versions, many with little or no Linux development experience.

ajparent1/kb1gmx

Bill,

Did the reading to catch up and yep, I need current.

Allison
----------------------------------
Private Email goes to a dead letter account.

ajparent1/kb1gmx

A local is helping me and first thing he pointed out was the info supplied on requirements
are from the web site and two years old..  he felt the wiki needs update.   However that's
the starting point.

I'm not a big fan of digital modes but the last two contests on VHF many stations
went digital over phone/CW so the contact counts were very low.  So I feel I have
to more than want to.  So there is the incentive to slog though a build.

Allison
----------------------------------
Private Email goes to a dead letter account.

ajparent1/kb1gmx

I have many hours into this and still not ready to compile Hamlib never mind the target.
Seems build-essential was plagued by 404s.  as target libs have moved apparently.
Not fun.

Allison
----------------------------------

On 19/07/2020 21:12, ajparent1/kb1gmx wrote:
I have many hours into this and still not ready to compile Hamlib never mind the target.
Seems build-essential was plagued by 404s.  as target libs have moved apparently.
Not fun.

Allison
Hi Allison,

why are you trying to build Hamlib. Our sources tarball includes Hamlib and the build script builds it for you as well as WSJT-X. Are you following the instructions in the INSTALL file at the root of the unzipped sources tarball?

ajparent1/kb1gmx

Haven't looked inside the tarball yet.
Still trying to get all the required stuff installed.

Some of the required like:
gcc-4.8.2 or clang-3.4 or newer
g++-4.8.2 or clang-3.4 or newer
Based on hunting they don't seem to exist or are differently named.
Any attempt to apt-get or install nets a 404.

Then maybe I'll find the instructions for directories and build info.

Here's one, why both SVN and GIT?  or either?
What is textinfo?
Libqt5libserialport5-dev  seems to have no home.
CMake, seems to not be a normal PPA.

Allison
----------------------------------

On 20/07/2020 15:17, ajparent1/kb1gmx wrote:
Haven't looked inside the tarball yet.
Still trying to get all the required stuff installed.

Some of the required like:
gcc-4.8.2 or clang-3.4 or newer
g++-4.8.2 or clang-3.4 or newer
Based on hunting they don't seem to exist or are differently named.
Any attempt to apt-get or install nets a 404.

Then maybe I'll find the instructions for directories and build info.

Here's one, why both SVN and GIT?  or either?
What is textinfo?
Libqt5libserialport5-dev seems to have no home.
CMake, seems to not be a normal PPA.

Allison
Hi Allison,

because your distribution is quite old, the package list we give is too new. I recommend you try and build then install packages as indicated by the build failures. If you post the first build error (note error not warning) here I will happily help track down which package needs installing for your distribution so you can retry the build. It will take a couple of iterations but will be much faster than the time you seem to have spent on this exercise so far.

ajparent1/kb1gmx

Yes, I try to not be bleeding edge... did that in the 70 and 80s.

That and Ubuntu 18.04 is already old as in 20.04 is current.
I dropped Ubuntu back at 16 as it was getting bloated.

Allison
Private Email goes to a dead letter account.