locked Kenwood ts-590DG


 

I have a friend that has a TD-590SG. Does anyone know the communications settings for that rig?
73's
Dave
KA3PMW


Timothy Urberg <tim@...>
 

Here's my setup, works well, I'm using the USB output of the Kenwood Radio.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 10:05 AM Dave Alexander <dave.alexander1947@...> wrote:
I have a friend that has a TD-590SG. Does anyone know the communications settings for that rig?
73's
Dave
KA3PMW


Timothy Urberg <tim@...>
 

One more thing, I have these menu settings:
33 - 300
34 - 3000 (not sure how much settings 33-34 matter though)
68 - 115200
69 - USB
70 - rear
71-72 - both 4
76 - off

You'll also need to adjust the sound card levels for audio, I have my input from the radio to be around 50 DB and the output to the radio is about 5-6 bars.  Again not sure how much difference this makes, I've made contacts with both volumes all the way up, but you also don't want to distort the signal.  


On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 11:32 AM Timothy Urberg via groups.io <tim=urberg.net@groups.io> wrote:
Here's my setup, works well, I'm using the USB output of the Kenwood Radio.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 10:05 AM Dave Alexander <dave.alexander1947@...> wrote:
I have a friend that has a TD-590SG. Does anyone know the communications settings for that rig?
73's
Dave
KA3PMW


Timothy Urberg <tim@...>
 

Last thing I forgot to mention, you'll want a USB cable with ferrite cores on it, I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MQ29B2. I was getting errors when it would try to PTT on certain bands (40/20, but 30 worked fine) with a cheap USB cable, but haven't had problems with the one I included.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 11:38 AM Timothy Urberg via groups.io <tim=urberg.net@groups.io> wrote:
One more thing, I have these menu settings:
33 - 300
34 - 3000 (not sure how much settings 33-34 matter though)
68 - 115200
69 - USB
70 - rear
71-72 - both 4
76 - off

You'll also need to adjust the sound card levels for audio, I have my input from the radio to be around 50 DB and the output to the radio is about 5-6 bars.  Again not sure how much difference this makes, I've made contacts with both volumes all the way up, but you also don't want to distort the signal.  

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 11:32 AM Timothy Urberg via groups.io <tim=urberg.net@groups.io> wrote:
Here's my setup, works well, I'm using the USB output of the Kenwood Radio.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 10:05 AM Dave Alexander <dave.alexander1947@...> wrote:
I have a friend that has a TD-590SG. Does anyone know the communications settings for that rig?
73's
Dave
KA3PMW



 

Thanks, I’ll try these.

 

 

73’s

Dave

KA3PMW

 

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Timothy Urberg
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 12:44 PM
To: main@wsjtx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Kenwood ts-590DG

 

Last thing I forgot to mention, you'll want a USB cable with ferrite cores on it, I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MQ29B2. I was getting errors when it would try to PTT on certain bands (40/20, but 30 worked fine) with a cheap USB cable, but haven't had problems with the one I included.

 

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 11:38 AM Timothy Urberg via groups.io <tim=urberg.net@groups.io> wrote:

One more thing, I have these menu settings:

33 - 300

34 - 3000 (not sure how much settings 33-34 matter though)

68 - 115200

69 - USB

70 - rear

71-72 - both 4

76 - off

 

You'll also need to adjust the sound card levels for audio, I have my input from the radio to be around 50 DB and the output to the radio is about 5-6 bars.  Again not sure how much difference this makes, I've made contacts with both volumes all the way up, but you also don't want to distort the signal.  

 

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 11:32 AM Timothy Urberg via groups.io <tim=urberg.net@groups.io> wrote:

Here's my setup, works well, I'm using the USB output of the Kenwood Radio.

 

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 10:05 AM Dave Alexander <dave.alexander1947@...> wrote:

I have a friend that has a TD-590SG. Does anyone know the communications settings for that rig?
73's
Dave
KA3PMW

 

 


JP Tucson, AZ
 

One note for all - 33 & 34 set the filter limits & yes they are very important.

You may want to lower #33 to 150 or 200 Hz, especially if you are working Fox & Hound - DXpedition as they frequently use quite low frequencies & if they call back to you & drag you down there, your 300 Hz limit will block you from returning their call.



73 - John - N7GHZ

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020, 9:38 AM Timothy Urberg <tim@...> wrote:
One more thing, I have these menu settings:
33 - 300
34 - 3000 (not sure how much settings 33-34 matter though)
68 - 115200
69 - USB
70 - rear
71-72 - both 4
76 - off

You'll also need to adjust the sound card levels for audio, I have my input from the radio to be around 50 DB and the output to the radio is about 5-6 bars.  Again not sure how much difference this makes, I've made contacts with both volumes all the way up, but you also don't want to distort the signal.  

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 11:32 AM Timothy Urberg via groups.io <tim=urberg.net@groups.io> wrote:
Here's my setup, works well, I'm using the USB output of the Kenwood Radio.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 10:05 AM Dave Alexander <dave.alexander1947@...> wrote:
I have a friend that has a TD-590SG. Does anyone know the communications settings for that rig?
73's
Dave
KA3PMW



Tom DF5JL
 

It is important that the same baud rate is entered on the transceiver and the software. Here it runs with 57600 Baud. Install the driver first, then connect the TS-590SG. It is described very precisely on the Kenwood page on the web. And then select the appropriate COM port. Depending on what is already in use, this is individually different.

73 Tom DF5JL


Am 14. Juli. 2020 um 17:05 schrieb Dave Alexander:

I have a friend that has a TD-590SG. Does anyone know the communications settings for that rig?
73's
Dave
KA3PMW

    


Tom DF5JL
 

73 Tom DF5JL

Am 14. Juli. 2020 um 17:05 schrieb Dave Alexander:

I have a friend that has a TD-590SG. Does anyone know the communications settings for that rig?
73's
Dave
KA3PMW

    


Herb Blue - WB8ASI
 


Larry Crouch <groups_io@...>
 

I use the following:
RIG: TS-590SG
SERIAL: /DEV/TTYUSB0
BAUD RATE: 19200
DATA BITS: DEFAULT
STOP BITS: DEFAULT
HANDSHAKE: DEFAULT
FORCE CONTROL LINES: DTR: UNSELECTED RTS: UNSELECTED
PTT METHOD: CAT
TRANSMIT AUDIO SOURCE: REAR/DATA
MODE: DATA/PKT
SPLIT OPERATION: RIG

On the radio I have
36 AND 37 (RX/TX EQUALIZER) OFF
67 (COMM PORT BAUDRATE): 19200
68 (USB PORT BAUD RATE): 19200
69 ( LINE SELECTION FOR DATA): USB
70 (SOURCE OF SEND/PTT): REAR
71 (USB INPUT FOR DATA): 5 <--- Adjust for your sound card
72 (audis level of usb output): 4 <- ADJUST FOR YOUR SOUND CARD
75 (MIXING BEEP TONES): OFF
76 (VOX OPERATION WITH DATA): OFF
78 (USB VOX): OFF
81 (BUSY FREQ LOCKOUT): OFF


Hope this helps.

73


JP Tucson, AZ
 

Larry,

As a suggestion, you really should set both the rig & program to 115200 baud!

Why? Because that single usb throughput will work much  better for the CAT, data receive & decodes, without the bottleneck.  I think you will find that if you have a lot of stations, that it works sluggishly to keep up.

Release the baud & fly free...

73 - John - N7GHZ


On Tue, Jul 14, 2020, 6:15 PM Larry Crouch <groups_io@...> wrote:
I use the following:
RIG: TS-590SG
SERIAL: /DEV/TTYUSB0
BAUD RATE: 19200
DATA BITS: DEFAULT
STOP BITS: DEFAULT
HANDSHAKE: DEFAULT
FORCE CONTROL LINES: DTR: UNSELECTED RTS: UNSELECTED
PTT METHOD: CAT
TRANSMIT AUDIO SOURCE: REAR/DATA
MODE: DATA/PKT
SPLIT OPERATION: RIG

On the radio I have
36 AND 37 (RX/TX EQUALIZER) OFF
67 (COMM PORT BAUDRATE): 19200
68 (USB PORT BAUD RATE): 19200
69 ( LINE SELECTION FOR DATA): USB
70 (SOURCE OF SEND/PTT): REAR
71 (USB INPUT FOR DATA): 5 <--- Adjust for your sound card
72 (audis level of usb output): 4 <- ADJUST FOR YOUR SOUND CARD
75 (MIXING BEEP TONES): OFF
76 (VOX OPERATION WITH DATA): OFF
78 (USB VOX): OFF
81 (BUSY FREQ LOCKOUT): OFF


Hope this helps.

73


Larry Crouch <groups_io@...>
 

I discovered something when changing the baud rate and thought I would
share.

First, I think the radio has to be turned off then back on for the new
baud rate to take effect.

Secondly, when changing the baud rate in wsjtx, the TEST CAT button no
longer works.

I change the baud rate, click OK. At this point there is no USB
connection between the computer and radio. I look at settings again and
I see the new baud rate but TEST CAT still does not work.

I shutdown wsjtx and then a few seconds later start it up again and I am
greeted with a warning that another instance is running.

I shutdown the instance I just started, give the previous instance a
minute to work things out and exit. I start up wsjtx again and am again
greeted with the second instance message. I again shut down the new
instance.

sudo top shows the first instance is still running more than a minute
after closing it. sudo killall wsjtx kills it.

Start wsjtx again and from this point everything is back to working with
the new baud rate.



Tom DF5JL
 

Try to shutdown both, ur PC and TCVR, than restart.

Works here without any problems. Check menu item #67 (Com Port) and #68 (USB Port)!

73 Tom DF5JL



Am 15. Juli. 2020 um 09:51 schrieb Larry Crouch:

I discovered something when changing the baud rate and thought I would
share.

First, I think the radio has to be turned off then back on for the new
baud rate to take effect.

Secondly, when changing the baud rate in wsjtx, the TEST CAT button no
longer works.

I change the baud rate, click OK. At this point there is no USB
connection between the computer and radio. I look at settings again and
I see the new baud rate but TEST CAT still does not work.

I shutdown wsjtx and then a few seconds later start it up again and I am
greeted with a warning that another instance is running.

I shutdown the instance I just started, give the previous instance a
minute to work things out and exit. I start up wsjtx again and am again
greeted with the second instance message. I again shut down the new
instance.

sudo top shows the first instance is still running more than a minute
after closing it. sudo killall wsjtx kills it.

Start wsjtx again and from this point everything is back to working with
the new baud rate.


Michael Dooley
 

While messing with the same settings I saw the same behaviour.  Running Windows 10 Pro on a Lenovo X1 talking to a Elecraft K2 with WSJT-X 2.2.2.

Mike de N5BGZ.



On Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 02:51:50 AM CDT, Larry Crouch <groups_io@...> wrote:


I discovered something when changing the baud rate and thought I would
share.

First, I think the radio has to be turned off then back on for the new
baud rate to take effect.

Secondly, when changing the baud rate in wsjtx, the TEST CAT button no
longer works.

I change the baud rate, click OK. At this point there is no USB
connection between the computer and radio. I look at settings again and
I see the new baud rate but TEST CAT still does not work.

I shutdown wsjtx and then a few seconds later start it up again and I am
greeted with a warning that another instance is running.

I shutdown the instance I just started, give the previous instance a
minute to work things out and exit. I start up wsjtx again and am again
greeted with the second instance message. I again shut down the new
instance.

sudo top shows the first instance is still running more than a minute
after closing it. sudo killall wsjtx kills it.

Start wsjtx again and from this point everything is back to working with
the new baud rate.



David AD4TJ
 

From the TS-590SG manual, page 62:

v>
COMMUNICATION PARAMETERS
In order to control the transceiver with the computer,
you must fifi rst choose the communication parameters.
1 On the computer, confifi gure your transceiver control
application for 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, and
no parity.
2 On the transceiver, select the same transfer rate
via Menu No. 67 (COM port) or 68 (USB port).
• The defaults are 9600 bps and 1 stop bit for
Menu No. 67 and 115200 bps and 1 stop bit for
Menu No. 68.
• Only a baud rate of 4800 bps uses 2 stop bits.
3 Press [MENU] to exit Menu mode.
4 Turn the power OFF and then back ON to
implement the change.

I own a TS-2000X, and the same applies to it, also.

73, David AD4TJ

On Thursday, July 16, 2020, 3:04:24 AM EDT, Michael Dooley via groups.io <msdooley@...> wrote:


While messing with the same settings I saw the same behaviour.  Running Windows 10 Pro on a Lenovo X1 talking to a Elecraft K2 with WSJT-X 2.2.2.

Mike de N5BGZ.



On Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 02:51:50 AM CDT, Larry Crouch <groups_io@...> wrote:


I discovered something when changing the baud rate and thought I would
share.

First, I think the radio has to be turned off then back on for the new
baud rate to take effect.

Secondly, when changing the baud rate in wsjtx, the TEST CAT button no
longer works.

I change the baud rate, click OK. At this point there is no USB
connection between the computer and radio. I look at settings again and
I see the new baud rate but TEST CAT still does not work.

I shutdown wsjtx and then a few seconds later start it up again and I am
greeted with a warning that another instance is running.

I shutdown the instance I just started, give the previous instance a
minute to work things out and exit. I start up wsjtx again and am again
greeted with the second instance message. I again shut down the new
instance.

sudo top shows the first instance is still running more than a minute
after closing it. sudo killall wsjtx kills it.

Start wsjtx again and from this point everything is back to working with
the new baud rate.