locked ICOM 706 and WSJT-X/FT8

James C. Tilton

I am using an ICOM 706 (early model) along with a SignaLink for digital communications.

I have been successful with Packet Winlink, VARA FM, VARA HF and Fldigi (BPSK31).

With Fldigi I have for settings:  Serial port COM3, Use RTS, 9600 Baud, Toggle RTS for PTT,
and I'm using the provided IC-706.xml file for rigcat.

I'm trying to use the same equipment for WSJT-X (FT8).

I tried to make my Radio configuration settings for WSJT-X as consistent as possible with
the settings I had for FLdigi. But I keep getting a "Rig Control Error" and I'm asked I want
to reconfigure the radio interface.

The odd thing is on one a couple occasions I actually completed contacts in FT8.
And my rig frequency control works. So I'm getting very inconsistent results.

Anyone with advice on ICOM 706 configuration settings for WSJT-X?

The settings I'm currently using are:

Rig: Icom IC-706, Poll Interval 1s.
CAT Control: COM3, 9600 Baud Rate
Data Bits: Eight
Stop Bits: One
Handshake: Default
Force Control Lines: DTR: High, RTS (none)
PTT Method: RTS, Port COM3
Mode: None
Split Operation: None (I've also tried "Fake It")

I've installed the Meinburg NTP software.

Thanks

Jim Tilton / KD3JA

Joe Subich, W4TV

The settings I'm currently using are:

Rig: Icom IC-706, Poll Interval 1s.
CAT Control: COM3, 9600 Baud Rate
Data Bits: Eight
Stop Bits: One
Handshake: Default
Force Control Lines: DTR: High, RTS (none)
PTT Method: RTS, Port COM3
Mode: None
Split Operation: None (I've also tried "Fake It")
What are you using for a CAT connection - serial port or USB to
serial adapter? What circuit is used to convert the RS-232 to
CI-V signals? How is is connected to the IC-706 (early model)?

Unless your CAT interface cable has a dedicated PTT output from
the serial port RTS to the RING of the FSK jack of the 706, try
setting PTT to VOX (the PTT generated by the Signalink and using
the ACC jack of the 706).

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-06-22 8:24 AM, James C. Tilton via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Thanks for replying, Joe.

The ICOM 706 has a CI-V Remote Control Jack in the back of the rig.
I use the appropriate CI-V to USB cable into a USB port on my computer
(I don't use a USB hub). The cat control does work for both WSJT-X
and Fldigi. I don't understand what you mean by "What circuit is used
to convert the RS-232 to CI-V signals?" because there is just a single
cable that runs directly from the CI-V Remote Control Jack on the ICOM
706 and the USB port on the computer.

I tried VOX as you suggested and the ICOM 706 seems to work in about
the same way as it did with PTT method RTS. I still get the error message
after I transmit for a short period of time.

Jim / KD3JA

On 6/23/2020 3:32 PM, PGCERA wrote:
Thanks for replying, Joe.

The ICOM 706 has a CI-V Remote Control Jack in the back of the rig.
I use the appropriate CI-V to USB cable into a USB port on my computer
(I don't use a USB hub). The cat control does work for both WSJT-X
and Fldigi. I don't understand what you mean by "What circuit is used
to convert the RS-232 to CI-V signals?" because there is just a single
cable that runs directly from the CI-V Remote Control Jack on the ICOM
706 and the USB port on the computer.

I tried VOX as you suggested and the ICOM 706 seems to work in about
the same way as it did with PTT method RTS. I still get the error message
after I transmit for a short period of time.

Jim / KD3JA

JP Tucson, AZ

Jim,

Try using None for handshake & CAT for PTT.  & No forcing of the lines.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020, 12:34 PM James C. Tilton via groups.io <jctilton=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks for replying, Joe.

The ICOM 706 has a CI-V Remote Control Jack in the back of the rig.
I use the appropriate CI-V to USB cable into a USB port on my computer
(I don't use a USB hub). The cat control does work for both WSJT-X
and Fldigi. I don't understand what you mean by "What circuit is used
to convert the RS-232 to CI-V signals?" because there is just a single
cable that runs directly from the CI-V Remote Control Jack on the ICOM
706 and the USB port on the computer.

I tried VOX as you suggested and the ICOM 706 seems to work in about
the same way as it did with PTT method RTS. I still get the error message
after I transmit for a short period of time.

Jim / KD3JA

On 6/23/2020 3:32 PM, PGCERA wrote:
> Thanks for replying, Joe.
>
> The ICOM 706 has a CI-V Remote Control Jack in the back of the rig.
> I use the appropriate CI-V to USB cable into a USB port on my computer
> (I don't use a USB hub). The cat control does work for both WSJT-X
> and Fldigi. I don't understand what you mean by "What circuit is used
> to convert the RS-232 to CI-V signals?" because there is just a single
> cable that runs directly from the CI-V Remote Control Jack on the ICOM
> 706 and the USB port on the computer.
>
> I tried VOX as you suggested and the ICOM 706 seems to work in about
> the same way as it did with PTT method RTS. I still get the error message
> after I transmit for a short period of time.
>
> Jim / KD3JA

James C. Tilton

Thanks for the suggestion, John.

I tried None for handshake and No forcing of the lines.
I could not try CAT for PTT, because the program would not allow me to
select that option.

This did not improve the results.

Jim / KD3JA

On 6/23/2020 4:52 PM, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:

Jim,

Try using None for handshake & CAT for PTT.  & No forcing of the lines.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020, 12:34 PM James C. Tilton via groups.io <jctilton=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks for replying, Joe.

The ICOM 706 has a CI-V Remote Control Jack in the back of the rig.
I use the appropriate CI-V to USB cable into a USB port on my computer
(I don't use a USB hub). The cat control does work for both WSJT-X
and Fldigi. I don't understand what you mean by "What circuit is used
to convert the RS-232 to CI-V signals?" because there is just a single
cable that runs directly from the CI-V Remote Control Jack on the ICOM
706 and the USB port on the computer.

I tried VOX as you suggested and the ICOM 706 seems to work in about
the same way as it did with PTT method RTS. I still get the error message
after I transmit for a short period of time.

Jim / KD3JA

On 6/23/2020 3:32 PM, PGCERA wrote:
> Thanks for replying, Joe.
>
> The ICOM 706 has a CI-V Remote Control Jack in the back of the rig.
> I use the appropriate CI-V to USB cable into a USB port on my computer
> (I don't use a USB hub). The cat control does work for both WSJT-X
> and Fldigi. I don't understand what you mean by "What circuit is used
> to convert the RS-232 to CI-V signals?" because there is just a single
> cable that runs directly from the CI-V Remote Control Jack on the ICOM
> 706 and the USB port on the computer.
>
> I tried VOX as you suggested and the ICOM 706 seems to work in about
> the same way as it did with PTT method RTS. I still get the error message
> after I transmit for a short period of time.
>
> Jim / KD3JA

JP Tucson, AZ

You are on "USB" for mode below the CAT selection, correct? You could try data/pkt

Also try it with none for split oper..

Another check, go to your device mgr. In windows & check that the serial port setting in properties match - baud, etc.

Lastly (or maybe a first...), just to make sure you don't have an rfi issue; plug your rig into a dummy load, or if you don't have one, turn down your power to nothing and see if it stabilizes.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020, 3:06 PM James C. Tilton via groups.io <jctilton=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, John.

I tried None for handshake and No forcing of the lines.
I could not try CAT for PTT, because the program would not allow me to
select that option.

This did not improve the results.

Jim / KD3JA

On 6/23/2020 4:52 PM, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:
Jim,

Try using None for handshake & CAT for PTT.  & No forcing of the lines.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020, 12:34 PM James C. Tilton via groups.io <jctilton=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks for replying, Joe.

The ICOM 706 has a CI-V Remote Control Jack in the back of the rig.
I use the appropriate CI-V to USB cable into a USB port on my computer
(I don't use a USB hub). The cat control does work for both WSJT-X
and Fldigi. I don't understand what you mean by "What circuit is used
to convert the RS-232 to CI-V signals?" because there is just a single
cable that runs directly from the CI-V Remote Control Jack on the ICOM
706 and the USB port on the computer.

I tried VOX as you suggested and the ICOM 706 seems to work in about
the same way as it did with PTT method RTS. I still get the error message
after I transmit for a short period of time.

Jim / KD3JA

On 6/23/2020 3:32 PM, PGCERA wrote:
> Thanks for replying, Joe.
>
> The ICOM 706 has a CI-V Remote Control Jack in the back of the rig.
> I use the appropriate CI-V to USB cable into a USB port on my computer
> (I don't use a USB hub). The cat control does work for both WSJT-X
> and Fldigi. I don't understand what you mean by "What circuit is used
> to convert the RS-232 to CI-V signals?" because there is just a single
> cable that runs directly from the CI-V Remote Control Jack on the ICOM
> 706 and the USB port on the computer.
>
> I tried VOX as you suggested and the ICOM 706 seems to work in about
> the same way as it did with PTT method RTS. I still get the error message
> after I transmit for a short period of time.
>
> Jim / KD3JA

James C. Tilton

This is a follow-up to my previous posting on this issue.

I believe that I've resolved the issue.  I successfully used WSJT-X to make numerous FT8 contacts
during Field Day. I had absolutely no problems on 80, 40 and 15 meters. I continued to have
the Rig Control Error problems on 20 and 10 meters, but I am pretty certain that this was due to an RFI
problem. Reducing my transmitter power reduced the problem (didn't eliminate it - I'll have to
look into strategic placement of ferrite beads).

Here are my current settings for my successful operation:

Rig: Icom IC-706, Poll Interval 3s. (the default 1s may also work)
CAT Control: COM3, 9600 Baud Rate
Data Bits: Eight
Stop Bits: One
Handshake: Default
Force Control Lines: DTR: High, RTS (none)
PTT Method: RTS, Port COM3
Mode: USB (I originally had None here - this definitely needs to be USB)
Split Operation: None

I've installed the Meinburg NTP software.

I hope this helps anyone else with the old ICOM 706 transceiver.

Jim / KD3JA

On 6/22/2020 8:24 AM, James C. Tilton wrote:
[...]

William Cullison

I got mine working with FLRIG.

73s
Bill WA8VIH EL98

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 8:42 PM James C. Tilton via groups.io <jctilton=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
This is a follow-up to my previous posting on this issue.

I believe that I've resolved the issue.  I successfully used WSJT-X to
make numerous FT8 contacts
during Field Day. I had absolutely no problems on 80, 40 and 15 meters.
I continued to have
the Rig Control Error problems on 20 and 10 meters, but I am pretty
certain that this was due to an RFI
problem. Reducing my transmitter power reduced the problem (didn't
eliminate it - I'll have to
look into strategic placement of ferrite beads).

Here are my current settings for my successful operation:

Rig: Icom IC-706, Poll Interval 3s. (the default 1s may also work)
CAT Control: COM3, 9600 Baud Rate
Data Bits: Eight
Stop Bits: One
Handshake: Default
Force Control Lines: DTR: High, RTS (none)
PTT Method: RTS, Port COM3
Mode: USB (I originally had None here - this definitely needs to be USB)
Split Operation: None

I've installed the Meinburg NTP software.

I hope this helps anyone else with the old ICOM 706 transceiver.

Jim / KD3JA

On 6/22/2020 8:24 AM, James C. Tilton wrote:
> I am using an ICOM 706 (early model) along with a SignaLink for
> digital communications.
>
> I have been successful with Packet Winlink, VARA FM, VARA HF and
> Fldigi (BPSK31).
>
> With Fldigi I have for settings:  Serial port COM3, Use RTS, 9600
> Baud, Toggle RTS for PTT,
> and I'm using the provided IC-706.xml file for rigcat.
>
> I'm trying to use the same equipment for WSJT-X (FT8).
>
> I tried to make my Radio configuration settings for WSJT-X as
> consistent as possible with
> the settings I had for FLdigi. But I keep getting a "Rig Control
> Error" and I'm asked I want
> to reconfigure the radio interface.
>
> The odd thing is on one a couple occasions I actually completed
> contacts in FT8.
> And my rig frequency control works. So I'm getting very inconsistent
> results.
>
> Anyone with advice on ICOM 706 configuration settings for WSJT-X?
>
> The settings I'm currently using are:
>
> Rig: Icom IC-706, Poll Interval 1s.
> CAT Control: COM3, 9600 Baud Rate
> Data Bits: Eight
> Stop Bits: One
> Handshake: Default
> Force Control Lines: DTR: High, RTS (none)
> PTT Method: RTS, Port COM3
> Mode: None
> Split Operation: None (I've also tried "Fake It")
>
> I've installed the Meinburg NTP software.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim Tilton / KD3JA

James C. Tilton

I was advised by Dave (W1HKJ) that FLRIG would be overkill for an ICOM 706. That's why I went with rigcat. - Jim / KD3JA

On 6/29/2020 10:36 PM, William Cullison wrote:

I got mine working with FLRIG.

73s
Bill WA8VIH EL98

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 8:42 PM James C. Tilton via groups.io <jctilton=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
This is a follow-up to my previous posting on this issue.

I believe that I've resolved the issue.  I successfully used WSJT-X to
make numerous FT8 contacts
during Field Day. I had absolutely no problems on 80, 40 and 15 meters.
I continued to have
the Rig Control Error problems on 20 and 10 meters, but I am pretty
certain that this was due to an RFI
problem. Reducing my transmitter power reduced the problem (didn't
eliminate it - I'll have to
look into strategic placement of ferrite beads).

Here are my current settings for my successful operation:

Rig: Icom IC-706, Poll Interval 3s. (the default 1s may also work)
CAT Control: COM3, 9600 Baud Rate
Data Bits: Eight
Stop Bits: One
Handshake: Default
Force Control Lines: DTR: High, RTS (none)
PTT Method: RTS, Port COM3
Mode: USB (I originally had None here - this definitely needs to be USB)
Split Operation: None

I've installed the Meinburg NTP software.

I hope this helps anyone else with the old ICOM 706 transceiver.

Jim / KD3JA

On 6/22/2020 8:24 AM, James C. Tilton wrote:
> I am using an ICOM 706 (early model) along with a SignaLink for
> digital communications.
>
> I have been successful with Packet Winlink, VARA FM, VARA HF and
> Fldigi (BPSK31).
>
> With Fldigi I have for settings:  Serial port COM3, Use RTS, 9600
> Baud, Toggle RTS for PTT,
> and I'm using the provided IC-706.xml file for rigcat.
>
> I'm trying to use the same equipment for WSJT-X (FT8).
>
> I tried to make my Radio configuration settings for WSJT-X as
> consistent as possible with
> the settings I had for FLdigi. But I keep getting a "Rig Control
> Error" and I'm asked I want
> to reconfigure the radio interface.
>
> The odd thing is on one a couple occasions I actually completed
> contacts in FT8.
> And my rig frequency control works. So I'm getting very inconsistent
> results.
>
> Anyone with advice on ICOM 706 configuration settings for WSJT-X?
>
> The settings I'm currently using are:
>
> Rig: Icom IC-706, Poll Interval 1s.
> CAT Control: COM3, 9600 Baud Rate
> Data Bits: Eight
> Stop Bits: One
> Handshake: Default
> Force Control Lines: DTR: High, RTS (none)
> PTT Method: RTS, Port COM3
> Mode: None
> Split Operation: None (I've also tried "Fake It")
>
> I've installed the Meinburg NTP software.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim Tilton / KD3JA

Jampe oh8gvq

Tzau!
Yesterday i solved IC-706Mk2 settings. (Picture in twitter.com/oh8gvq)
WIN7+WSTJ-x+Signalink+Icom IC-706MK2. (I'm just looking for  FT8 and only one logged qso.)
"Delay" in Signalink have to be as low/short as it could.. III-knob
Settings:
Rig: Icom CI-706MK2 (Drop-down menu)
Cat Control:
    Serial port: COM 4 (You can check it from computer)
    Serali port parameters:
        BAud Rate: 19.200 (Icom IC-706mk2 "Initial setup"- You Can look at or Change)
Data bits: Default
Stop Bits: Default
HAndshake: Default
Force Control Lines: (Both are selectable By Tap, most of Digimode application - That Confuse in WSTJ-x settings)
DTR: High RTS:High
PTT Method: (that makes playing with DTR and RTS - If have been earlier practices of other digimode programs- WSTJ-x Won't TAP them- I Trained two evenings..)
VOX -TAP ON-
CAT -none-
DTR -none-
RTS -none-
PORT: COM is fullfilled automaticly as What you type earlier
Transmit Audio Source: -Fullfille automatic-
Mode: -None-
Split Operationa: -None-

..My last play with digimodes was 2010, I do not remember what RS232-USB is and where to bought RS-232 cable between TRX-Computer..
If that written setting does not work, look at RIG: Drop-Down Menu -Klik- Choose Ham Radio Deluxe - If it is on your computer... You could "drive" Rig via HRD ...last freemod is 5.x.x and works well in WIN7
BR, Jarmo/Oh8gvq

Karl Beckman WA8NVW - NNV5BH

Jarmo -
I would guess that back in 2010 you were probably running Windows Vista or XP and used the computer's true RS232 serial port with DB9 connector for the radio CAT control functions.  And a separate audio cable running between Signalink USB and either the 13 pin DIN radio control connector, or possibly the 6-pin mini-DIN data I/O connector.  The IC706 radio transceiver cannot be set to use a memory for frequency control.  Does that sound familiar?
There are now problems with using the early RS232 to USB adaptors, because the drivers for the FTDi chipset in the radio control to USB adaptor device have changed over time. Windows 10 updates have included several different versions over the last 12 months and they don't all work with every legacy device.  That topic appears often in this forum. . 73 de
--
Karl  WA8NVW  OH
WA8NVW@...