locked dimension 4

jim crisco WA4YIZ

fyi..
i use dimension 4 to sync my pc clock...
still works well..
i tried to use the "help" in D4 to go to the think man website...wanted to chk for updates...
www.thinkman.com
could not connect...did not find..
searched for dimension 4...
i did find links to other sites that u can download D4 from..
my current level is  5-31-331

73
jim
wa4yiz

Jim AC9ZL

The link in the WSJT-x 2.2 User Guide https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.2.0-rc1_en.html#INSTALL_WIN for Dimension 4 Thinking Man Software times out. As an alternate you could use Meinberg NTP, the link for that in the WSJT-x 2.2 User Guide still works. Net Time is available from  http://timesynctool.com/ and it is easy to install.

73
Jim
AF5FH

Jim Shorney

I'll bet if you used a search engine or two you could find it. But here, I just spent 5 minutes and saved you the trouble. The download link works.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200229141700/http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/download.htm

Meinberg is the better solution though, IMO.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Fri, 22 May 2020 07:13:56 -0700
"Jim AF5FH" <jkajder@...> wrote:

The link in the WSJT-x 2.2 User Guide https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.2.0-rc1_en.html#INSTALL_WIN for Dimension 4 Thinking Man Software times out. As an alternate you could use Meinberg NTP, the link for that in the WSJT-x 2.2 User Guide still works. Net Time is available from http://timesynctool.com/ and it is easy to install.

73
Jim
AF5FH

Ria, N2RJ

It's better to use a supported, current method of time sync.

Real NTP client - https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm
SNTP solution that also has GPS support-
https://www.maniaradio.it/en/bkttimesync.html

The NTP client distributed by meinberg is pretty much standard, worldwide.

Ria
N2RJ

On Fri, 22 May 2020 at 10:14, Jim AF5FH <jkajder@...> wrote:

The link in the WSJT-x 2.2 User Guide https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.2.0-rc1_en.html#INSTALL_WIN for Dimension 4 Thinking Man Software times out. As an alternate you could use Meinberg NTP, the link for that in the WSJT-x 2.2 User Guide still works. Net Time is available from http://timesynctool.com/ and it is easy to install.

73
Jim
AF5FH

Jon Ermels

I had trouble with Dimension 4 and read bout Meinberg NTP in the Hinson tutorial, and after installing it, every time I check time.is the result has been exact.

73 de NØIGU Jon

On Friday, May 22, 2020, 09:14:05 AM CDT, Jim AF5FH <jkajder@...> wrote:

The link in the WSJT-x 2.2 User Guide https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.2.0-rc1_en.html#INSTALL_WIN for Dimension 4 Thinking Man Software times out. As an alternate you could use Meinberg NTP, the link for that in the WSJT-x 2.2 User Guide still works. Net Time is available from  http://timesynctool.com/ and it is easy to install.

73

Jim
AF5FH

Tom V. Segalstad

In Dimension 4 you MUST open (run) the program, choose «Settings», and answer «yes» to let the program make changes in your PC.

If not, Dimension 4 will not adjust your PC time clock. This procedure has to be done every time the PC is started or restarted – else it will not adjust your PC clock.

Then check if the time is within +/- 1 second of correct time by reloading for instance www.time.is

If the time is not good, right click the Dimension 4 icon on the PC’s lower right command line, and select «Syncronize now». After some seconds, reload www.time.is again, and check if the PC’s clock has changed to an acceptable time. If still not good, repeat this procedure until the PC clock’s time is acceptable.

I have used Dimension 4 this way for many years, without problems.

73 from Tom (LA4LN)

Sendt fra E-post for Windows 10

--
Tom (LA4LN)

Ken Arck AH6LE

Simply check (under Settings) "Load Dimension 4 at startup" and that is that...

Ken

[...]

President and CTO - Arcom Controllers
Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
https://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave.
We we offer complete turn-key repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net
"We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"
[]

Jim Brown

On 5/22/2020 10:05 AM, Tom V. Segalstad wrote:
In Dimension 4 you MUST open (run) the program, choose «Settings», and answer «yes» to let the program make changes in your PC.
I've been using NetTime since the earliest days of JT65 (ten years or so). It's absolutely troublefree. Strongly recommended for Windoze users.

http://www.timesynctool.com/

73, Jim K9YC

Larry Knain

Interesting. I have run Dimension 4 for more than 20 years on probably 40 systems (including some servers) without ever having to answer such a question.  It just runs for me.

73, Larry W6NWS

[...]

Gilbert Baron

That is a good reason to use such as Network Time which does not require this intervention every time. Works for me if time within 25 milliseconds is acceptable.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

I had trouble with Dimension 4 and read bout Meinberg NTP in the Hinson tutorial, and after installing it, every time I check time.is the result has been exact.

73 de NØIGU Jon

On Friday, May 22, 2020, 09:14:05 AM CDT, Jim AF5FH <jkajder@...> wrote:

The link in the WSJT-x 2.2 User Guide https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.2.0-rc1_en.html#INSTALL_WIN for Dimension 4 Thinking Man Software times out. As an alternate you could use Meinberg NTP, the link for that in the WSJT-x 2.2 User Guide still works. Net Time is available from  http://timesynctool.com/ and it is easy to install.

73

Jim
AF5FH

--
Tom (LA4LN)

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Ken Arck AH6LE

Well, I haven't run it for quite that long but it loads at startup, I have it set to automatically check a random NTP server every 15 seconds and I never have to do a thing

Ken

[...]

Bob Lewis

When I used Dimension 4 I only had to answer that W10 question once, during the installation. From then on it ran automatically every time the computer was booted up. I think that question comes up because the D4 installation needs to turn off the Windows time service in order to prevent conflicts.

I had trouble with Dimension 4 and read bout Meinberg NTP in the Hinson tutorial, and after installing it, every time I check time.is the result has been exact.

73 de NØIGU Jon

On Friday, May 22, 2020, 09:14:05 AM CDT, Jim AF5FH <jkajder@...> wrote:

The link in the WSJT-x 2.2 User Guide https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.2.0-rc1_en.html#INSTALL_WIN for Dimension 4 Thinking Man Software times out. As an alternate you could use Meinberg NTP, the link for that in the WSJT-x 2.2 User Guide still works. Net Time is available from  http://timesynctool.com/ and it is easy to install.

73

Jim
AF5FH

--
Tom (LA4LN)

Alan G4ZFQ

have it set to automatically check a random NTP server every 15 seconds
It is not necessary to check that often. Most computers will stay very close for at least a few hours.
Just to be different I just reset my Windows 10 internet time to check each hour instead of once a week. Time.is shows little difference from any of the other ones I have used.
(It does involve a simple Registry fix, some may not feel comfortable with.)

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Jim Brown

On 5/22/2020 1:43 PM, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
It is not necessary to check that often. Most computers will stay very close for at least a few hours.
Yes. It's certainly true of my Thinkpads -- they're quite stable. I'm wearing a cheap Casio wristwatch that has stayed within a minute over the three years I've owned it.

73, Jim K9YC

K8BL BOB LIDDY <k8bl@...>

I've run Dimension 4 for almost 2 years with NO problems
whatsoever. At present, I'm using WSJTX 2.1.2 with NO
problems on WIN7. If I upgrade to 2.2, will I have to change
to something different than Dimension 4?  Please advise.

TNX,    Bob  K8BL

On Friday, May 22, 2020, 03:54:32 PM EDT, Bob Lewis <aa4pb@...> wrote:

[...]

Dimension 4 does not interface with WSJT-x, it only sets the Windows clock. It should work fine with any version of WSJT-x.

I had trouble with Dimension 4 and read bout Meinberg NTP in the Hinson tutorial, and after installing it, every time I check time.is the result has been exact.

73 de NØIGU Jon

On Friday, May 22, 2020, 09:14:05 AM CDT, Jim AF5FH <jkajder@...> wrote:

The link in the WSJT-x 2.2 User Guide https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.2.0-rc1_en.html#INSTALL_WIN for Dimension 4 Thinking Man Software times out. As an alternate you could use Meinberg NTP, the link for that in the WSJT-x 2.2 User Guide still works. Net Time is available from  http://timesynctool.com/ and it is easy to install.

73

Jim
AF5FH

--
Tom (LA4LN)

Rob Kivell

No I used DIM4 with my last three laptops from two toshiba to present day Dell. I have not any other time keeper so I can’t compare to anything else. All I know is that from day one it has worked flawlessly. Do as the ole saying goes “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!!

Rob kk4eun

On May 22, 2020, at 4:30 PM, K8BL BOB LIDDY <k8bl@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob & Rob....
 Thanks for the reassurance. Previous posts made it sound like
  Dim-4 wouldn't update the computer clock (and thus WSJTX)
  unless it was forced to. Since installing DIM-4, the computer
  has stayed in sync without my intervention whatsoever 24/7
  through hundreds of On/Off cycles.
TNX/73,    Bob  K8BL

On Friday, May 22, 2020, 05:47:19 PM EDT, Rob Kivell <kk4eun@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Braun

I used to think Dim4 was working fine, until recently when I finally had time to dive into FT-8. Then I started noticing a pretty big drift from day to day (Win10x64) until I manually told it to "Synchronize now." It wasn't as big a deal with the few times I played with JT-65. Now, it was very obvious that my radio was keying a split-second after everyone else's.

I just uninstalled Dim4 and installed the Meinberg client that Ria suggested. I'll see how it compares.

On 5/22/20 17:03 : , K8BL BOB LIDDY wrote:
Bob & Rob....
 Thanks for the reassurance. Previous posts made it sound like
  Dim-4 wouldn't update the computer clock (and thus WSJTX)
  unless it was forced to. Since installing DIM-4, the computer
  has stayed in sync without my intervention whatsoever 24/7
  through hundreds of On/Off cycles.
TNX/73,    Bob  K8BL

On Friday, May 22, 2020, 05:41:06 PM EDT, Bob Lewis <aa4pb@...> wrote:

Dimension 4 does not interface with WSJT-x, it only sets the Windows clock. It should work fine with any version of WSJT-x.

--
Paul Braun WD9GCO
Amateur Radio Newsline Anchor

Bob Lewis

You must not have had Dim4 configured to update often enough. If you set it to automatically update every 30 seconds or so then your clock shouldn’t drift more than a few mS between updates. The thing about NTPS clients like Dim4 is that the clock slowly drifts between updates and then suddenly “snaps” to the correct time when it does an update. The advantage of NTP clients like Meinberg is that they gradually adjust the clock speed over time so that it doesn’t drift. That means that you don’t have any sudden jumps in time.

I switched from Dim4 (set to update every 15 seconds) to Meinberg but haven’t really seen any difference in the performance of WSJT-x (FT8 and MSK144). However, when I shut the computer down overnight, the clock drifts off. In the morning it takes Meinberg a few minutes to get it back on track whereas Dim4 would “snap” it back to the correct time on the first update.